Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who has the smallest number of scientist w/o being hit?

I GOT A SCIENTIST!!!! #19 for me
    Quote Originally Posted by vines View Post
    100 is the same 1. And 1/92 just means .92.

| Blade of Dragons Mate | Mythos | S 1 3 3 7 Y | Desolated Mythos | Pandas | Barcoloco |

Holy Moly
    January 5 of YR1 A new scientist, Novice Heremes (Alchemy), has emerged and has joined our academic ranks.
    Now ima cool dude too, lol
    Last edited by JokerX; 17-08-2016 at 09:07.

I like to post
    Just got 4 scientists in 10 hours :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chanain View Post
    Possible, yes, but at that level of improbability, we're into Douglas Adams territory.

On my math, it's something to the effect of 3.76 * 10 ^ -2927 percent.

Roughly on the same scale as the probability of buying a single ticket for each of 300 Powerball draws (i.e. every draw for about 3 years)...and winning the grand prize on every single one of them.

I agree with your point, ultimately, but I think it's more helpful to talk about in terms of more realistic distributions. Based on a 3.5% base and a 14 week age, with no fort and no other modifiers, you'll realistically see a small handful of people spawning fewer than 60 scientists. But, conversely, you'll also see some spawning 110+. And that's just pure luck. Bishop has argued that a 15 scientist advantage (i.e. from running labs all age) would be pretty significant...yet the RNG itself guarantees that, all other things being equal, some people will have a FIFTY scientist edge on others.

It's a flawed system.
    No one KD should have a big edge over another assuming the same amount of nonfort ticks and mods (not impossible though). On a province level it is far more likely (I'm guessing close to 25times more likely without running the math). I'd say the concept as a whole is sound but some numbers might or might not need adjusting. I definitely prefer it over the old system which was flawed on a conceptual level.
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

I have to disagree with you Matija.
    The radomness kills the system because it is calculated PER PROVINCE. So there are kingdoms that can be full of lucky players and there are kingdoms that can be unlucky. The fact that we play in kingdoms may even it out a bit statistically, but that does not change the fact that its pure randomness.

And explain this to me, how can a system where you have no control be better than a system where you have full control of your science ?

It is exponentially less likely to have a KD full of unlucky players than to have one unlucky player; that's the point.

The system is better because it removes a lot of the advantages of becoming big early so an age isn't over in the whoring tier in week 2. It should also promote more wars across the board because people will be less forced into thinking another KD has a big advantage over them in science numbers despite being the same size, an advantage that can not be promptly mended.
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Granted "full" of lucky is very unlikely. But please be reasonable... it is likely that a kingdom gets lucky or unlucky, like 19 out of 25 provs have more (or less) scientist spawns.
    The point is, it is a random chance. 3% does not mean, out of 100 tries it occurs 3 times. In Fact you can have 1000 shots at 3% and hit none. THAT is what chance means. The Overall 3% is for everybody, on each province results may vary.
    That is the best way i can describe it with my limited english. Maybe some statistician can explain it better.

But, look at the game. People are still growing like crazy and bottom feeding.
    It changed nothing when it comes to that matter. Now they will just outgrow again and then abduct the hell outta everyone and still have the science on their side.
    And "thinking" they have an advantage, all i can say about that is: Thieves, that is what they are for. Use them and you do not need to guess.

I have already touched on this topic in this thread: http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...tist-Each-Tick

Hate to repeat myself but really the math is explained there and expanded on a 25prov example (page 1 last post). Or call it statistics if you like, whatever rows your boat, it is what it is, just a model to understand a natural phenomenon - much like in any field of science. Rest of your complaint is in regard to the game as a whole and has nothing to do with the new science system other than abducting which I would not judge yet myself, I'll wait and see what happens, haven't really thought about it too much and don't want to, I let the leaders of their respective KDs worry about that.

Scribe
    growing or not growing is a choice. kingdoms that didn't grow did this on purpose.
    the only ones that profit from this system are the ones that want to land whore and can't hack the pumping.
    we used to have random stuff but it was if memory serves me always kingdom,island and server based. Freaks were province based but your set up is still a kingdom decision.
    it will not lead to more wars because warring kingdoms will never be prepared because the time whoring kingdoms don't have to spend pumping they will use to farm acres and honor.

we don't want your stinkin land/nw crowns. you can keep them. we want to play honorably and have fun. one on one wars within range without lengthy discussions, treaties and terms. The nw change for acres was great. This science thing not so much.

Irony of goodwitch post is that majority of ****play is in the warring tier and lower. But what you don't see apparently don't happend. :)

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Irony of goodwitch post is that majority of ****play is in the warring tier and lower. But what you don't see apparently don't happend. :)
    there will always be assholes. the art is to navigate around them. of course there is more ****play in the warring tier, there are more players and more kingdoms that war. as I stated before, we police our own in our own way. kingdoms that can't find wars may want to check their playing practices.
    Not sure if you noticed that the warring tier, as in the kingdoms that are aiming for good clean wars, generally don't come to the forums to complain about fellow warring kingdoms. cheat on us once and we simply won't war you again. and yes, warring kingdoms communicate, just not here. hence why those cheater kingdoms move on to the whoring tier cause they cant find wars anymore. you are welcome ;)

disclaimer:above statement was not to mean that all whoring kingdoms are cheaters, you know who they are

back to topic, it may not be such a bad thing not to have scientists, is there an option to turn them off?

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    back to topic, it may not be such a bad thing not to have scientists, is there an option to turn them off?
    Oh, good question! But why would you want to?

The game has always been adapting to changes. Why is this any different than say...happiness? The answer is its not. On the other hand this also gives the warring tier a leg to stand on when a kd that has sci pumped for weeks and weeks comes knocking at your door. It levels the playing field a bit between warring and whoring. There will be less farming of warring kds that win wars big and come out in range of the larger whoring kds.
    Last edited by Shockwave; 17-08-2016 at 18:26.
    #Beastblood

rule #12 no dutchies allowed.
    --Amendment 1.1: <3 LDP mucho much
    --Amendment 1.2: <3 chrissi
    --Amendment 1.3: snirpsner is by far the best dutchie ever. <3
    --Amendment 1.4: Prot and Darkie are OK in my book.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    The game has always been adapting to changes. Why is this any different than say...happiness? The answer is its not. On the other hand this also gives the warring tier a leg to stand on when a kd that has sci pumped for weeks and weeks comes knocking at your door. It levels the playing field a bit between warring and whoring. There will be less farming of warring kds that win wars big and come out in range of the larger whoring kds.
    Indeed and unless my memory completely betrays me this randomness is nothing new to utopia. Each guild used to have a 1 (or 2%) chance of generating a wizard back in the day.

Thread Information