Thread: Scientist Generation

Scientist Generation

I'll start by saying I like the new science system overall.

I don't think luck based is the best way to create a scientist since science is still a big part of this game. What if it was more like how wizards are created? Going along with something I read earlier bishop indicated he thought 5-6 per week would be the average. What if there was a base of .02 scientists created per tick then labs accelerated that creation, with 6 per week that would be about .035 per tick (28 hours for 1 new scientist) which would require 15% labs to get to that (I'm just throwing numbers out, but you get my idea I hope) .02 per tick would be about 50 hours for 1 new one. This way it would be easy to figure out when you're getting your next one...and hopefully reduce the complaining about not having new ones.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by elitism View Post
    i'll start by saying i like the new science system overall.

I don't think luck based is the best way to create a scientist since science is still a big part of this game. What if it was more like how wizards are created? Going along with something i read earlier bishop indicated he thought 5-6 per week would be the average. What if there was a base of .02 scientists created per tick then labs accelerated that creation, with 6 per week that would be about .035 per tick (28 hours for 1 new scientist) which would require 15% labs to get to that (i'm just throwing numbers out, but you get my idea i hope) .02 per tick would be about 50 hours for 1 new one. This way it would be easy to figure out when you're getting your next one...and hopefully reduce the complaining about not having new ones.

yes!!!!!!!!!1

this-this here gentlemen, is logical!!!!!!!!!!1

Scribe
    It is sciencepumping that way.

However it is a good mechanism to start from.

Lets not roll a dice every hour to determine whether you get a scientist or not.
    Lets Roll a dice which adds to the scientist creation like wizzards

You still have the random factor, but if you now include a counter, a)players can at least look forward to when their scientist comes and b) the RNG has a different function and should even out more over all players.

Just to be clear, say you need 10 points to attract a new scientist. Every hour a roll is made between 0.1 and 1. This is then added up to the total value of the previous rolls. Till you hit 10 points and get your scientist. After that the counter starts a new(or transfers the left over 0.x points for all I care).

You still have a random factor, but 1) people have an insight in it and 2) you progress every tick, the speed is determined by your luck but I think (too lazy to calc) that it evens out quicker.

PS: the 0.1 min value is to at least garantuee some progress/tick, however exact values are open for discussion of course
    Last edited by Sephi; 17-08-2016 at 13:43.

Making it like wizard production will just force you to pump again.

Need a mechanism to determine what the average number of scientists/province is on the server.

Then your odds increase the further below the average you are, and decrease the further above you are. Plus Labs effect.

If you are 1σ below mean you get 1.5x chance, 2σ 2x chance.
    If you are 1σ above mean you get 1/1.5 chance, 2σ 1/2 chance.

Something like this might help some of those don't trust the RNG to 'even out' over the course of their Uto-career, to sleep at night.

Post Fiend
    Yes that sounds nice.

As it is statistical phenomenons we are talking aobut, things dont have to average out for a very long time. Everyone has probably had NB-experiences of casting 30-40 in a row and not clearing plague. 20% chance.

What is the chance with scientists, like 0.5%? 1%? If 1 %, relating to NB-experienes, it would mean some ppl will go 30*20 days with no scientist. 600 days. about 25 RL days. 3+weeks. 1/4 of an age. For 1 scientist. "Oh but HOW likely is that to happen?" Statistically speaking, it will happen to several every age I would think? Sometimes you clear plague very tick, but that wont help the dude stuck on 20 scientist for a whole age. So would need soemthing to even the outlier-scenarios out where dudes can get stuck on no scientists.

It is nice if u can remove some pumping necessity tho. Maybe add scientist bonus back to war bonus? Atleast 1 if u loose. Would 4 if u win be too much?

Quote Originally Posted by ape View Post
    So would need soemthing to even the outlier-scenarios out where dudes can get stuck on no scientists.

It is nice if u can remove some pumping necessity tho. Maybe add scientist bonus back to war bonus? Atleast 1 if u loose. Would 4 if u win be too much?
    So something like min. 1 scientist/48 hours.

About your other suggestion - scientist are not destroyed(old science could be destroyed via amnesia) they are only moved from one place to another. That's why they don't want to give too much for free. And lets be honest - 4 scientists for a win is actually a lot. I still have 20 :D.

For a WW bonus I was thinking something like;

"All scientists who are not already Graduate level, or higher, are bumped up to that level in their current Category."

This makes it so if you leave your scientists after someone WDs, you will be on Professors one day out of CF. It leaves the door for people to manipulate a little bit trying to predict WDs, just like pre-razing your own acres for credits, but its risky enough that I am OK with that.

Post Fiend
    Yeah agreed, WW-bonus of 4 is very much cosndiering generation. Atlest for me i've only had 2, being sage, and human with revelation. 1/week if im lucky...

I dont thinks its enough to graduate tho, not for winning. Soon all my scientists are professors, at tops i get 1 new per week not being professor :P
    Perhaps war-loss = graduating... war-win = 2 scientists (its really just 1-2 successful abduct right? Later in age atleast, supposedly).

Thread Information