Thread: New Race / Revive old races

Post Fiend

New Race / Revive old races

Background: I really like the idea of mixing up the game with a new race and have been thinking about some on and off for some time, but none have really seemed robust enough. There's a few features I'd love to see, such as a race whose primary bonus is "can choose two personality bonuses". I also would love to see a fresh contender for hybrid builds.

Suggestion: Dark Elves
    Perhaps either (or both) of these things could be achieved by reviving the Dark Elf race. I wasn't playing during their time but I get the impression they were a decent choice for A/M builds. I like the idea of a race built purely to be an A/M, similar to elves, so dark elf makes sense. I think giving them two personality bonuses might suit that 'dark' nature too. Obviously that could be very OP so it would be balanced with quite average base numbers, or with a nerf like -pop or -science effects.

eg.
    Dark Elf
    Can choose two personalities and receive bonuses from both

-10% Pop

Spellbook: Mages Fury, War Spoils
    Elite: 8/5, 750gc, 8.5NW

Enthusiast
    So you get 2 personalities and -10% offense, defense, income, army size, etc? Not sure what additional personality makes up for that.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximII View Post
    So you get 2 personalities and -10% offense, defense, income, army size, etc? Not sure what additional personality makes up for that.
    I don't think he meant -10% everything, just population. I probably wouldn't give the race any special spell book though, since most personalities come with one or two spells already.

I think this would be interesting and pretty dynamic. You'd need some way of showing both personas so you can determine the province's capabilities from SoTs, etc.

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Drys View Post
    I don't think he meant -10% everything, just population. I probably wouldn't give the race any special spell book though, since most personalities come with one or two spells already.

I think this would be interesting and pretty dynamic. You'd need some way of showing both personas so you can determine the province's capabilities from SoTs, etc.
    -10% pop equates to that. If you kept all ratios the same (draft rate, etc). Whereas if you hold some constant (e.g. same twpa, same defense), you'd find others (e.g. peasants) significantly reduced.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximII View Post
    It was an example only, to demonstrate that balancing would be needed.

But I don't think it's such a crazy idea to have a significant nerf associated with that race - especially if you start to think about how strong certain combinations of personalities could be when stacked:

war hero + sage: more effects from science and honour
    cleric + tactician: quick army with less losses
    mystic+rogue: t/m alternative to fae (maybe with more honour whoring potential?)
    heretic + warrior: the nightmare + chain tactic becomes more brutal

lots more fun combinations, which is why I like the idea of a dual personality race.

Thread Information