Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats with the new SCIENCE

I like to post
    Some very easy fixes to the issues:

1. Introduce a "counter" from 0 to 100%. Each tick you get 5% on the counter (modified by Rev/Labs). Once the counter reaches 100%, a new scientist spawns. Fort reduces base rate to 3%, not fully halting it.
    2. Merge Uni and Lab effects into Uni building.
    3. Change Lab to +sci effects like old Library.
    4. Introduce a level below novice that lasts 1 tick.
    5. Allow GBP to increase sci effects to help chained provs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    Some very easy fixes to the issues:

1. Introduce a "counter" from 0 to 100%. Each tick you get 5% on the counter (modified by Rev/Labs). Once the counter reaches 100%, a new scientist spawns. Fort reduces base rate to 3%, not fully halting it.
    2. Merge Uni and Lab effects into Uni building.
    3. Change Lab to +sci effects like old Library.
    4. Introduce a level below novice that lasts 1 tick.
    5. Allow GBP to increase sci effects to help chained provs.
    1. That will bring back the old system where you pump sci.
    2. Bishop said he won't make building that buffs and protects scientists.
    3. Could work.
    4. Better to be 24 hours.
    5. No.

Postaholic
    I love the new sci. I don't love the spawn rate, abducts, or sci buildings. But those will be fixed, I am guessing.

I'm a new sci convert, Bishop. :P

You all are wrong about skill. It takes skill with the new sci.

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo To View Post
    1. That will bring back the old system where you pump sci.
    2. Bishop said he won't make building that buffs and protects scientists.
    3. Could work.
    4. Better to be 24 hours.
    5. No.
    1. Not it doesn't? Atm the chance averages about 4-5% as well/day. By introducing a "meter" the average stays the same just the outliers change/are removed.
    2. Bishop could change his mind?
    4. Fair nuf.
    5. Yes!

Postaholic
    5 is cool. Might be weird to code though.

Needs to get out more
    So far so good, as far as I can tell with the new system. I'm a sage and appear to be behind in scientists but I've played most ages with underwhelming science. That is to say, I've found ways to compensate poor science with more assertive play for several ages.

One thing I don't do is put all my eggs in one basket. By levying my subtle advantages I find the edge I require to overtake many opponents. At worst I've had to batten down the hatches but never been blown out of a conflict due to science.

When I've needed intel I've gotten it. When I've cast spells they've landed at a decent percentage. My economy is fairly solid. I haven't tweaked anything except beginning of age and moved food scientists elsewhere since I'm undead. Other than this I'm semi-pumping as usual. If a scientist lands in anything but food ;-) I leave them there just to see where it leads. I'm fully able to attack and I'm working on being even more formidable casting via wiz pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    1. Not it doesn't? Atm the chance averages about 4-5% as well/day. By introducing a "meter" the average stays the same just the outliers change/are removed.
    2. Bishop could change his mind?
    4. Fair nuf.
    5. Yes!
    1) At the moment there is literally no difference between sitting in normal and warring. Labs give no real bonus and are completely useless. What you propose will make labs much better and sitting in normal to pump sci will be better than warring.

Example: lets assume the chance for a progress(that you propose) is 5%/tick and 20% labs make it 6.5%. So for getting from 0-100 without labs you will need 20 hours, but with labs 16. Lets say you have 5 days war(2 days war + 3 days eowcf) and 5 days at normal with labs - in the war you will get 8 scientists and in normal - 10. Here is the sci pumping ;). People will avoid warring until they get "enough" scientists.

5) Personally I'm against making the life of chained provs better but I'm for making chaining harder.

Scribe
    I think people will get used to it after they stop comparing it in the same light as the old system. It is slightly harder on food consumption and rune gathering, but I rather like the dynamic gameplay that transmutable science offers. Its not like you need to be maxed out on alchemy if you're on 1ppa pumped for war, so move some science into food to sustain your military. Since one of our members found out the #scientists needed at each level to max a category, another use our warring kingdom has applied is transmuting science towards maxing military topped with soldier balls to cause bounces.

Post Demon
    I consistently ran slightly lighter military (still 95%+) and dumped all the extra econ I made into science. I knew how to make econ pay, and used it to prep for wars to the point where I was reliably better.

Now, I use my econ skills to... sit on my *** during a 72 hour fort I was ready for war at the start of. I frankly don't even need to log in for the next 2 days, and probably won't.

I don't care about the new science system (not good that I find it that pointless, but maybe you can fix that). I care very deeply about the lack of the old science system, and the fact it made econ matter for the warring tier.

This is only my one position, and shouldn't count any more than that (beyond any others that feel the same), but this change has been a catastrophic failure. I'm not going to stick around more than another age or two if you don't fix this. Not a threat, not out of spite, and not cause I've lost my competitive advantage. I'm expecting to leave soon because you have removed the part of the game I found interesting. If you don't find a way to bring it back (a use for econ, not old sci per se), why would I bother playing a game that doesn't have any interesting parts to it?

I don't think the reason I've been playing has ever really been understood, so maybe it isn't a surprise that it is going away. But I'm gonna be sad about it.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Econ matters about 50 times more now when it comes to getting sci for most players. Unless of course you are sitting passively waiting for scientists to spawn.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Forum Fanatic
    As a player who probably had both the most total books and highest unchained BPA on the server of any prov for 2 of the last 3 ages, I'd say that the old science system had very little real skill involved.

Yes, there were ways to eke out advantages over other players, but having time to pump isn't really a 'skill'.

Veteran
    I'm still on 23 :(
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

Veteran
    Bishop, ya beauty!

July 6 of YR3 A new scientist, Novice Mudoruk (Housing), has emerged and has joined our academic ranks.

I'm going to have to whine about my low scientist count more often!
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by s0830887 View Post
    Bishop, ya beauty!

July 6 of YR3 A new scientist, Novice Mudoruk (Housing), has emerged and has joined our academic ranks.

I'm going to have to whine about my low scientist count more often!
    I posted comments like this before too, and about a day or two after, I got scientists, LOL...I think the Scientists counter is listening to us :D

Post Demon
    wouldn't that be to easy? but I think 50 is such a nice number only need one more for that.

Thread Information