Thread: Are Labs working yet?

Post Fiend

Are Labs working yet?

Just wanting to know for my kd. We are thinking about spending a few days running labs to get more tists. I thought Bishop stated it might need tweaking and wondering if they, well, tweaked it some.
    Thanks

Needs to get out more
    Good questions. I ran about 15% and higher(through most of the age) and didn't notice anything significant.

To be honest it appeared I gained more scientists in a short period of time without labs. I got 1 just before war and another or 2 in war, after I razed my labs.

Now this isn't a commentary on the legitimacy of labs as I'm very easy about new metrics. I assumed my percentages were higher with labs but I just had a dry spell. The reason I mention it is if labs had the opposite effect via some unforeseen mechanic/bug.

Last time I looked I had 33 scientists, but now I have 40. My province is a wreck right now or I'd run labs to see if I encounter another dry spell. Experimentation is fine by me. It's half the reason I play.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 12-09-2016 at 21:27.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Labs and Abductions don't work. It's all broken but the moderators don't want to admit it.

A guy in my kingdom just abducted someone and got nothing... absolutely nothing. 101% in size difference. Our kingdom is aggressive and theird was normal. Yet nothing. The guy he was hitting has 37 scientists. Also both are 2k acres

Quote Originally Posted by LiveAndProsper View Post
    Labs and Abductions don't work. It's all broken but the moderators don't want to admit it.

A guy in my kingdom just abducted someone and got nothing... absolutely nothing. 101% in size difference. Our kingdom is aggressive and theird was normal. Yet nothing. The guy he was hitting has 37 scientists. Also both are 2k acres

To be fair, there's a lot of factors that play into that. GBP, GS (think I saw Bishop mention this), Universities, Sage, and allocation of scientists. From what I've gathered between my abducts and a few KD mates who do them regularly, although random, it pulls from fields.

I'm not sure what the base % is that you get to steal from science, but if you're only going to be able to abduct 1 scientist per any of the afore mentioned reasons, and they do not have a scientist in that field (I.E. Undead and food science), you'll abduct nothing.

Per speculation, but that's what I've been leaning towards in my explanations to KD mates

Post Fiend
    with all due respect, this thread was about Labs

thanks

Post Fiend
    Labs won't have an observable effect on any sort of reasonable sample size, and so it's nigh-impossible to conclude that they're broken.

Let's assume, for a moment, a base rate of 2.5% to spawn a scientist. Now suppose that you're increasing that probability by 20% with labs - so, from 2.5% to 3%.

For example, over the course of 4 weeks (assuming no Fort or other modifiers), at the BASE rate, the top percentile will get 27 or more scientists, and the bottom percentile will get 8 or fewer.

Modified by labs to 3%, these margins change very slightly. The bottom percentile would be 10 or fewer; the top percentile would be about 31+.

The VAST majority of players, with or without labs, will end up in the 10-27 range anyways. And even if you're someone with labs and you only get 8 or fewer...well, that's improbable, but not implausible. You'd need to be collecting data from a huge number of players (controlled with and without labs), and/or over a very long period of time, in order to be able to identify a trend (or lack thereof) that folks with labs get more scientists.

Needs to get out more
    I think the wisest compromise would be to monitor dwarf sages since they can amass large numbers of labs and rebuild in times of need. This won't show you how to gain more scientist necessarily, but it's the best vacuum to begin to put fuzzy numbers together.

Won't go into "why" because I think those asking should be able to conclude this from the racial characteristics.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

Forum Fanatic
    Labs are way too weak even if they work as intended.

I'd rather have a different way of doing science next age.

Quote Originally Posted by Demascuss View Post
    To be fair, there's a lot of factors that play into that. GBP, GS (think I saw Bishop mention this), Universities, Sage, and allocation of scientists. From what I've gathered between my abducts and a few KD mates who do them regularly, although random, it pulls from fields.

I'm not sure what the base % is that you get to steal from science, but if you're only going to be able to abduct 1 scientist per any of the afore mentioned reasons, and they do not have a scientist in that field (I.E. Undead and food science), you'll abduct nothing.

Per speculation, but that's what I've been leaning towards in my explanations to KD mates

I understand there are factors but when the player is running no GS, Univesities and not a Sage it makes so since

Quote Originally Posted by LiveAndProsper View Post
    I understand there are factors but when the player is running no GS, Univesities and not a Sage it makes so since
    GBP, KDNW?

Lets look at your earlier statesmen

If there was a problem why wouldn't i admit it? People already have the formula worked out and it fits exactly. If you can prove to me there is an issue i'll get it fixed. If you cant prove it then quit spreading false info.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Bishop did agree labs and revelation are underpowered and probably will be changed/buffed for next age.

Was that a yes?

Postaholic
    Not scientific, but with the few abducts tried we had better results (all things being equal) when the prov attacked had more scientists than the attacker.
    War Monkeys War Monger - Contact me if interested in a beating.

Rather than whining, getting pissy and getting on my radar why don't you just .....

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Not scientific, but with the few abducts tried we had better results (all things being equal) when the prov attacked had more scientists than the attacker.
    It's a start. We're somewhere between 'ocean level theory' and 'piņata theory'.

* I'm impressed my iPad spell corrected with an accent. *
    ________
    Weed bowls

Thread Information