Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amnesia

I've tested it. While the Amnesia numbers seem high, there is either no cap on professor experience or it caps well beyond professor. I think I did 8 casts on someone recently while only dropping maybe 1-2 professors to graduates? I think it's basically worthless.

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Chyrus View Post
    I've tested it. While the Amnesia numbers seem high, there is either no cap on professor experience or it caps well beyond professor. I think I did 8 casts on someone recently while only dropping maybe 1-2 professors to graduates? I think it's basically worthless.
    That's what i was wondering: if professors had tenure to pad amnesia loss.

I've left my scientist 'fixed' in the same position they were in when I was chained twice.

To your point, my endeavor is to find weaknesses. While the spell itself might not be effective from one aspect, it's the idea of forced scientist movement that I'm actually focussed on. This tactic could be employed by a solidly rounded t/m in an unorganized kingdom and a full strategy could be employed by organized kingdoms.

Thank you for your observation.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 02-10-2016 at 14:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Here's a little data for anyone who wants to see why I come to the conclusion it's worthless.

Starting Sci:
    Alchemy: 26% / 13 Professors
    Tools: 6.7% / 6 Professors / 1 Graduate
    Housing: 3.6% / 6 Professors
    Food: ---
    Military: 3.3% / 5 Professors / 1 Novice
    Crime: 18% / 3 Professors
    Magic: 18% / 3 Professors
    38 total scientists

War
    My NW: ~317k
    Target NW: ~314k

Your wizards gather 3,581 runes and begin casting, and the spell succeeds. You have made the scientists of XXX forget 911 days of learning!
    Your wizards gather 3,581 runes and begin casting, and the spell succeeds. You have made the scientists of XXX forget 1,094 days of learning!

This did not drop a single scientist down a tier. 2005 total hours of sci split over 38 scientists is ~52 hours per scientist lost if you believe it splits it evenly among them, which I think is likely. I don't have the numbers saved but earlier this age I did this with 8-10 amnesias, checking SoS after each cast, and I had about the same results. The only real difference is that as the age progresses the damage of amnesia increases as there is a larger amount of scientist experience to destroy. I certainly can't justify 10 successful casts of Amnesia just to start dropping professors for a few hours, and I have no clue what the number of casts required to do that even is.

I ran a Sage core this age for fun expecting the new science system and amnesia to be at least a little better than they are. In it's current state it isn't competitive at all, but still has its perks for certain styles of play. I think a cap on scientist experience should be created, even if it's such that one cast of Amnesia doesn't instantly drop your professors.

Needs to get out more
    ^ Thank you for this. I've been in a long war and hadn't had the chance to browse the forum as thoroughly as I like.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

Amnesia

I have been doing amnesia on a target every war, this war I nailed someone for over 100k hours of science and after the war I emailed them asking if it was effective. They said no, barely left a dent in them and that she assumed that I would have had to make 1 million hours disappear in order to make a difference because the professors just hold on to time forever it seems.

For how much it cost to cast, I think I might switch to just fireballs and tornadoes. That way I know I am doing some damage and not wasting all this mana and runes on something this useless as a spell :( and I had great hopes about this spell as well.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -George S. Patton

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbcoyote View Post
    I have been doing amnesia on a target every war, this war I nailed someone for over 100k hours of science and after the war I emailed them asking if it was effective. They said no, barely left a dent in them and that she assumed that I would have had to make 1 million hours disappear in order to make a difference because the professors just hold on to time forever it seems.

For how much it cost to cast, I think I might switch to just fireballs and tornadoes. That way I know I am doing some damage and not wasting all this mana and runes on something this useless as a spell :( and I had great hopes about this spell as well.

Hmm, if this is true, and scientists gain "experience" past professor.. I wonder if that experience increases networth, as each tick of experience a scientists gets is supposed to be 2.6gc of nw I think... If this is the case I wonder (if trying to make your prov networth efficient) if it is worth it at all to put your profs back to novice once or twice an age to keep yourself from inflating nw.

I don't imagine that this "gaining experience and/or NW past professor" would be intended...

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiedema View Post
    Hmm, if this is true, and scientists gain "experience" past professor.. I wonder if that experience increases networth, as each tick of experience a scientists gets is supposed to be 2.6gc of nw I think... If this is the case I wonder (if trying to make your prov networth efficient) if it is worth it at all to put your profs back to novice once or twice an age to keep yourself from inflating nw.

I don't imagine that this "gaining experience and/or NW past professor" would be intended...
    You'd think it should. I'm not trying to defend the worthiness of amnesia mind you. If the professors tenure provides a buffer against amnesia we, the strategically curious, can start to contemplate best categories as a fixture. Then you can use anything above that base as floaters depending on conflict.

Amnesia may find its strength in the hostile campaign. The struggle between t/ms perhaps.

I can't say I'm suffering as an attacker amongst bonafide attacker personalities. I'm certainly not optimal, but the build can operate in both offensive and defensive hostile. Undead sage, if anyone missed it. I attempt to push my wpa higher than normal with competent levels in my troop array. The margin comes out of my offense.
    ________
    Weed bowls

FallOut 1

Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    the new science is a similarity to a martial arts system in the original RPG Top Secret. You were given more options the higher your skill. The toon, had options a, b, c, d. - a) right hand strike, b) left hand block, c) right leg block, d) left leg sweep.
    Amnesia works similar to a hellbore canon in Star Fleet Battles
    The hellbore cannon was a Hydran heavy weapon, the warhead had a force field that activated upon firing. Also, the warhead was likened to a fusion bomb and the effects of the force field caused the fusion explosion to wrap around the entire ship then implode. Due to the nature of deflector shields, this would cause the greatest damage to the weakest shield
    This is similar to the first fallout, and the older Crusader. You put points in "attributes" Intelligence dexterity strength stamina power knowledge. Depending if you wanted heavy weapons, sniper, hand to hand etc. Bravo for the comparison.

I did not play these great classics til they were ancient. My brother has a classic gaming computer.
    if its in the game... I like Bishop. I don't care what my Mommy says about him.

Thread Information