Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Remove or reduce war resource protections

Forum Fanatic

Suggestion: Remove or reduce war resource protections

If the game is supposed to reward the ability to interfere in others' wars, why is there an artificial cap on interference? Unleash the hounds, let wars be multiway affairs and let there be more drama, more gangbangs. I would even want it to be possible to fight more than one war at once, and for interlocking war relations to allow for larger awars through the war system.

I'm asking this as a serious question. War protections (and how wars are handled in general) are an artifact of an earlier stage of the game's development, when there were a lot more kingdoms playing for wars.

I'd ask for hostile meter to be scrapped or at least reworked, to be replaced with explicit hostile declarations (where kingdoms that don't declare hostile lose gains after the first several hits against a kingdom).

I'd also consider flattening the gains curve, right now the gains curve introduces too many artificial barriers into the game. Oow gains are already penalized by attack time when hitting oor, this (along with a slight reduction in gains, and fewer kills when bottomfeeding) should be enough to encourage people to hit closer to their own size (and also allows cows to continue hitting past standard growth caps).

I wonder what the bigly, strong elites of the game think of this.
    Last edited by noobium; 04-10-2016 at 18:20.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by noobium View Post
    If the game is supposed to reward the ability to interfere in others' wars, why is there an artificial cap on interference?
    The game doesn't reward people for hitting into wars and it isn't "supposed" to either.

Hitting into wars exists as a last resort for people with no options remaining. There are many downsides to doing it.

Regular
    ' I would even want it to be possible to fight more than one war at once, and for interlocking war relations to allow for larger awars through the war system.'

I like this. Screw the drama, everybody should get a piece of the action, boring to just watch.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    The game doesn't reward people for hitting into wars and it isn't "supposed" to either.

Hitting into wars exists as a last resort for people with no options remaining. There are many downsides to doing it.
    Not really any downsides that count if you are not a kingdom on the sending end.
    So this mechanism rewards solo play and clearly isn't being used solely as a 'last resort'. It's time for raze to be looked at again, if there isn't 'supposed' to be reward.

I support Noobium's suggestion. Time to take a step back and look at it all again one way or another with fresh eyes.

Forum Fanatic
    Huge downside when it gets returned, Most single players who do it get removed quickly.Its still more a kd wide action of payback for **** play mostly

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Noobium, making Utopia's worst suggestions since vines disappears.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    Huge downside when it gets returned, Most single players who do it get removed quickly.Its still more a kd wide action of payback for **** play mostly
    Not really, the single player just restarts somewhere else, same as Sheister has done. I only mention him because he's named himself as kingdom jumping to raze OOW, he is not the only person doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Noobium, making Utopia's worst suggestions since vines disappears.
    Any newer or more inexperienced player can rely on sensible help and analysis from Noobium. He's an asset to the boards.

I like Noobium but this suggestion is not good in the slightest. Huge respect to Noobium from my little experience talking to him and his contributions to this thread, however, this may be his worst suggestion yet.
    #magi

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post

Then why is razekill into war allowed? It's a mechanic which clearly favors a kingdom hitting into wars for the purpose of policing at basically no cost so long as the policing kingdom is bigger, through the game's broken mechanics. If razekill into war is permitted to allow an unbalanced feature for war interference, why not just allow for full interference and cut out this nonsense about protections?

Razekill-into-war aside, if people want clean 1vs1 wars, surely the players can police that for themselves. Why the arbitrary protections and gangbang protections, if utopians are supposedly moral paragons?
    Last edited by noobium; 05-10-2016 at 23:04.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    There's more to rewards and punishments than the immediate mechanics surrounding attacks, which btw, don't favor razing into wars.

There's any number of ways that a smaller kingdom can "get even" with a larger kingdom that's razing them but even that is marginal to the fact that kingdoms don't just raze into another kingdom for no reason.

If your gonna sit there and seriously act like OOW razing is a perfect strategy with no drawbacks I'm going to find it hard to continue to respond to you in a serious fashion.

Forum Fanatic
    It's pathetically easy for a kingdom to harass another kingdom at war with depleted defense. Don't know what game you're playing but you should know that by now.

Razing into war is a stupid bully-coward mechanic that Bishop supports so that his racist asshole kingdom can make peoples' age miserable. The only purpose is serves is to permit griefing, any time someone would use it for justifiable reasons "the community" raises their heckles and cries foul.

If these people are so tough, why bother with strong war protections and just let people interfere with war for fun and profit. It would certainly work to the advantage of the same people who can make peoples' lives miserable, and it encourages more doubleteaming which is a good thing. War stance as it exists now is a large source of the game's stagnation and boringness.

It's pathetically easy for a kingdom to harass another kingdom at war with depleted defense. Don't know what game you're playing but you should know that by now.

Razing into war is a stupid bully-coward mechanic that Bishop supports so that his racist asshole kingdom can make peoples' age miserable. The only purpose is serves is to permit griefing, any time someone would use it for justifiable reasons "the community" raises their heckles and cries foul.

If these people are so tough, why bother with strong war protections and just let people interfere with war for fun and profit. It would certainly work to the advantage of the same people who can make peoples' lives miserable, and it encourages more doubleteaming which is a good thing. War stance as it exists now is a large source of the game's stagnation and boringness.
    There are literally like 2 other kingdoms in the entire server and maybe a <dozen individual players who would 'grief' to the level we are being accused of.

The vast majority of razing into wars is done as payback by other kingdoms or as part of policing. And policing always carries risks because the policed may have allies.

The games stagnation and boringness is a result of the pitiful number of kingdoms and provinces.

Strategy Moderator

Razing into war is meant to stop griefing. That is if someone 5-10 times my size just griefs me over and over by smacking me down i just wait till they are at war and the game has a built in way for me to fight back. Razing into war isn't to bully someone its meant as a last resort to 'punish' someone you wouldn't otherwise be able to fight.

If these people are so tough, why bother with strong war protections and just let people interfere with war for fun and profit. It would certainly work to the advantage of the same people who can make peoples' lives miserable, and it encourages more doubleteaming which is a good thing.
    because some people are stupid and don't pay attention to/understand what war means. If that person is just randomly hitting, grabing land and hits into war it would be horribly damaging to eat a full damage attack. If we allow hits into war but war is "meant" to be 1v1 then some protection needs to be included to encourage that.

War stance as it exists now is a large source of the game's stagnation and boringness.
    "war stance" as it exists now is the best form the game has seen. I might argue that the process to get war, the rewards from war aren't perfect, nor is the balance between econ/damage but if there was no actual war the vast majority of players would have nothing left to do in this game.

This
    Is
    Hilarious
    Since the imperative for this suggestion is my behavior, kindly explain how I used razes other than as intended. Meet that threshold first.
    Last edited by Sheister; 06-10-2016 at 11:28.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Demon
    I'd like to suggest a diffrent approach, remove minimum cap for raze into other kingdoms and make raze in war the same as trad marching into or outside war at -75% effectivity and loses.

2nd war out of 4 that an opponent got a province razekilled, this game does not need to protect loners and 5 man kingdoms but the teams as it is a team based game.

Thread Information