View Poll Results: Possibility to integrate umunk in utopia?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sounds like a great idea!

32 74.42%
  • I am against it

8 18.60%
  • I don't feel either for or against.

3 6.98%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Integrate umunk easier into utopia

Forum Addict

Integrate umunk easier into utopia

Hi all,

I sent the following mail in the begining of the age to Bishop to present to devs. I didn't get a reply, so I'm thinking that if many people here voice their wish for this to be implemented then it might actually be done.

Background:

My “tools” are used by around distinct 1000 players of utopia. It adds in-game IRC/slack communication, intel system and many other tools. I believe that these tools help create utopia a more enjoyable experience for the users.
    www.umunk.net has a few screenshots. Otherwise Bishop has been a user on it and would be able to explain more in detail the use-cases.

Request:

Allow players to input the ‘kdname’ of their umunk group. Sites are defined as such: kdname.umunk.net

Based on their ‘name’, let the player include the .js script used by umunk to interact with the user: http://kdname.umunk.net/munk.user.js

So if a player is part of the snugs group. The player would input snugs in the in-game settings. Having this specified would add the following to ‘utopia’ pages in-game:

<script src="http://snugs.umunk.net/munk.user.js"></script>

(This script then loads live.js (http://snugs.umunk.net/live.js?kd=snugs) to ensure the player had the latest version of the script. It is also fine if you link directly to this script)

Why:

1. This would allow players to always have their “add-on” to access the extra functionality of umunk to their utopia experience on which ever device they play from.
    2. From a security perspective this would be better for the user/player as they won’t need to install tamper monkey and “trust” my script only operates on utopia-game.com domain.
    3. For a monarch, getting new players integrated with the add-on will be much simpler and seem less intrusive. Instead of having to install a specific browser, an add-on and finally a user-script, the user would just have to input the ‘name’ of the umunk group.
    4. For the game, it will hopefully make a slightly more enjoyable experience.

Please consider it :)
    Beyond simply getting support for this idea, I'm also interested to hearing other ideas on how to implement this in the best way.
    Thanks!

I'm opposed 100%. I still think utopia should create a new api in much the way themes are done, that would allow a "level" of integration (a third party utopia API).
    #magi

I do think that the devs should copy some of the ingame enhancements you've added but as for the intel integration/bot part I'm with khronosschoty.

As for the trust issues you could assure them by publishing the sourcecode and allowing people to compile the user side of the script themselves should they wish to.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I'd just like to point out that if someone doesn't trust you to respect their privacy, they're probably not going to be thrilled that your script has been integrated into the game. They'd probably be more likely to quit than to start using uMunk lol

Post Fiend
    Why not just rip off every function that umunk has and integrate it to the game. Some enhancements to the ui like extra links for navigation, builds etc are really easy to do.
    I know some are harder but are still very important.
    Tadpole's troopers, aka RoughKnecks!
    22:31 atlas: didnt i say to not post in public forums? whats so f*cking difficult to understand about that?

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I'd just like to point out that if someone doesn't trust you to respect their privacy, they're probably not going to be thrilled that your script has been integrated into the game. They'd probably be more likely to quit than to start using uMunk lol
    The point would be to allow the ones that do use it, to integrate it without having to add userscripts etc -- having it be an optional add on from the settings -- much like the custom themes are an optional add-on. The point wouldn't be to enable it for anyone who does not want / need it.

Needs to get out more
    I'm a committed red pill popper, so it's of zero use to me. I have however voted it as a great idea because the matrix needs batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I don't trust munk but this would make mobile umunk use way easier (and actually work) so I voted aye.

I would be against it...

Not because I think it wouldn't help the game...but that it seems like a ploy to donate more.

If there was various levels of pay that would give people different levels of umunk access, then I would think that it would be better than the current structure.

However how do we know we wont be seeing a big button in Uto Throne page that says "DONATE" every time I look at a page?

Its pretty obvious people can play the game well without umunk and ALL of its features.

If this is truly an attempt to make the game better...I am looking forward to see umunk being donated for the good of the community.
    "Respect the one who defends his land with bravery;
    Honor the price he pays to fufill his duty."

-DonJuan, The Legendary KaMiKaZe King
    WhatsApp +16264286874 | SC2/D3 BattleNet: DonJuan5420 | PSN: DonJuan5420

Age 54: #1 Land KD (HaLL of Heroes)
    Age 54: #1 NW KD (HaLL of Heroes)

Age 81: #1 Honor KD (The Faery Circle)
    Age 81: #1 WW KD (The Faery Circle)
    The Tactical Technical Institute

Strategy Moderator
    i voted yes and dont even use umunk. Its one step forward towards all of munkbot stuff being innately integrated natively into utopia....something that long needed to be done a while ago.

Post Demon
    I think I am against it too, never used it so not sure what it is good for, but don't like my ingame experience ruined by add ons, and Palem is making a valid point too.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

Needs to get out more
    I'm with Persain insofar as the community is concerned. Trust is overrated; just play like you're being watched at all times or have a moral compass and the rest is as easy as candy on Halloween.

In fact I have been in 2 kingdoms with Munkbot and it makes your intel handling much easier if you're left brain dominant. I'm one of those other people who are right brain dominant and about any bot appears as garbled numbers to me. Thus my personal opinion aside I've noted quite a bit of praise for Munkbot.

I almost forgot: everyone should run one war with no external anything. Stop your griping. If you desire Munkbot sophistication elegance and style, but don't trust him, you should play test the game sans all tools. This way you can appreciate the luxury without feeling it as a need. It's so weird how people need stuff. You need oxygen and a Bowie knife.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 21-10-2016 at 21:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Scribe
    There's a third party component being used in nearly every kingdom you migrate to, whether you agree its for better or worse its hard to deny its existence, so I think it's a natural progression for Utopia to be married to one of them

Strategy Moderator
    @strat you really cant run a kd with ZERO outside tools.

1. army in times for your OWN kd.
    2. mod off/def for your OWN kd
    3. max mod off of the enemy.
    4. max mod def of the enemy.

Those 4 intell columns are currently not held in utopia anywhere and are basically REQUIRED in any real fight. To that end though upoopu+a better chat than reverbim integrated into the game are needed and if thats not going to be done in the next few months i see nothing wrong with having utopia have an option to innately send info to an external host via how munk describes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Persain View Post
    @strat you really cant run a kd with ZERO outside tools.

1. army in times for your OWN kd.
    2. mod off/def for your OWN kd
    3. max mod off of the enemy.
    4. max mod def of the enemy.

Those 4 intell columns are currently not held in utopia anywhere and are basically REQUIRED in any real fight. To that end though upoopu+a better chat than reverbim integrated into the game are needed and if thats not going to be done in the next few months i see nothing wrong with having utopia have an option to innately send info to an external host via how munk describes it.
    I'm sure we all remember the days of posting ops & attacks & intel in KD forums. Not that it's at all effective for coordinating a war but I mean, it is entirely possible to play Utopia (albeit largely without success) without 3rd party tools... well except for Angel I suppose.

But yeah at this stage I don't really see the need to keep Utopia so absolutely barebones. But on the other than I do love how 3rd party community tools spring up and evolve. uMunk is the culmination of all prior bots, intel sites, and intel tools/scripts. I worry that perhaps integrating it into the game will stifle future innovation.

Thread Information