Thread: There still is no skill in math

There still is no skill in math

If I can sit right next to someone, and instruct him what to do, and the result being 100% as good as it would have been if I did it myself, there is no skill."

This is a quote from a thread at the utopia boards.

I'd like to know if anyone agrees with that statement.

If so, could you think up an algorithm that an AI could play so that it'll always be successful?

Tags: ringtone downloads free for mobile, http://ringtonedownloads.mobi/samsun...ones-download/
    Last edited by adamjohnson; 03-04-2017 at 04:11.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
    If I can sit right next to someone, and instruct him what to do, and the result being 100% as good as it would have been if I did it myself, there is no skill."

If so, could you think up an algorithm that an AI could play so that it'll always be successful?
    Define success.
    "The Utopian voice of reason" ~Ben (And he's an official moderator)

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Nothing described there is doing mathematics.

You have one person giving instructions and another person following instructions. Yes, there is no skill involved in either of those things, outside of maybe having the skills to instruct clearly so that the other person never fails.
    Last edited by Palem; 24-11-2016 at 17:39.

Yeah you didn't state if it was correct or not. I could sit there and instruct people perfectly, but no way it will be correct.

Needs to get out more
    What we're really discussing is the worth of playing a drone in an organized kingdom.

If you consider the joy many experience in the throes of Black Friday shopping then the worth is apparent.

The love to queue, to be ready to declare readiness, to execute instructions quickly and precisely.

I'm on the other side of the tracks.

I enjoy methodical adaptation, contemplating enemy movements and the unique ambiance of lower tier kingdoms: being alone and making decisions.

This doesn't equate to superior skill but simply a difference in ways to enjoy Utopia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Which Utopia boards?

And, there is still skill involved there. For one thing, anybody whose built or led a kingdom knows that far, far too many people are just garbage at following instructions.... so I'd honestly consider the ability to follow instructions as the #1 most important skill in players. Well, #2. I think being a crass asshole is more important.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    What we're really discussing is the worth of playing a drone in an organized kingdom.

If you consider the joy many experience in the throes of Black Friday shopping then the worth is apparent.

The love to queue, to be ready to declare readiness, to execute instructions quickly and precisely.

I'm on the other side of the tracks.

I enjoy methodical adaptation, contemplating enemy movements and the unique ambiance of lower tier kingdoms: being alone and making decisions.

This doesn't equate to superior skill but simply a difference in ways to enjoy Utopia.
    This +1

Post Fiend
    Let me rephrase the question, and add a couple more:

Does it get boring playing as a grunt following orders without making your own decisions? Yes.

Does the skill and decision-making required of each member of a kingdom tend to decrease the more organised and strict the leadership is? Usually, but not necessarily.

Do the 'top' kingdoms tend to be run in a highly specified, formulaic way? It sure appears so to this experienced ghetto monarch.

I agree with the OP's sentiment: calculating every single moment of the age to the nth degree and turning a kingdom of individual played into a fleet of drones kind of leaves me feeling the game is less organic, skillful and fun.

For others, maybe all that stuff is not so bad and just simply the price of being competitive - each to their own. I like that Utopia can incorporate both styles.

Regular

Tags: ringtone downloads free for mobile, samsung ringtones
    Listening and Communication skills.

Those "tags" are completely irrelevant.

Those 'tags' are his own website. Spamspamspam. ;)
    PEW PEW PEW!

Does this guy even play the game? Given his multiple recruiting threads, he should have at least one prov.

Thread Information