Thread: Shrink Kingdom size

Shrink Kingdom size

As the population shrinks (reality non likes) 22-25 kingdom size are a bit to rough on the causal and new players. Even 20 are a bit unwieldy at times for a population so low. I suggest that the size be reduced to 15-22. The main reason for this is to get and keep more causal players while preserving the TOP fanatics (lol). If you haven't notice a lot of causal kingdoms just war and by the end are down to 15-22 anyway by the end. Repeat and repeat and at the end its still the same. I'm sure the 25 kingdoms would be horrified by such a suggestion. The goal should be to make Utopia Great again!!! (could not help it). Would smaller kingdoms help in this?
    Before you can see the truth, you must be willing to accept it.

Postaholic
    I'm sure it would be fine if we dropped the cap by like 1 province an age for the next few ages, but can't drop that many at once or many 25 prov kingdoms would have to kick out friends.. that would make people leave the game for sure.

If you dropped it one prov an age for 3-5 ages, usually top kingdoms have 1-2 prov turnover each age so it could work.

Generally speaking though this suggestion has been made plenty of times before and usually not received too openly. Probably because most outspoken forumgoers are in the 25 prov kingdoms though, myself included.

The less provinces you have, the less diversity of strategy occurs though. Chains arent as deep, less risky province choices are made, each kingdom ends up looking like the next. Not really a good "MO" for a hardcore strategy game to be reducing it's strategy level.

Forum Fanatic
    Smaller kingdoms wont help ,making more kingdoms with bad monarchs wont help either.This has been discussed for years and Bishop has said many times. It will not happen. It will only drive out what players that are left .

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Enthusiast
    Yeah I am not sure what value is brought to making kingdoms smaller and forcing players that have been together for ages away from each other. Hell, half the game only still plays because they like the people in their kingdom. This would be the final nail in the coffin.

Post Demon
    Merging smaller kingdoms to prevent them from dropping to 15 players because of inactives would help more I think so the only kd's with below 22 players are temporarily or kingdoms who chose to not get filled. Been ghetto monaching before and keeping the kd functional can be hard, but I think the new feature to opt to keep randoms out could be helpfull in that regard.

No strategy but avoiding to war will help you if half the people just don't participate in wars, so that would be my suggestion if your kd keeps dropping to spot 150-160 and 15 provinces after every war.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

its hard to lead 15 peaple for most..
    its always been a fail to have big kingdoms, as its a natural drain.
    Optimal size is 12, becourse that is what most can relate to.

but the game is most into Numbers then reality

Yeah to 2 people the real number, I support

Veteran
    AW hell no
    Long live Mehul!

Veteran
    I was in favor of the current scheme of larger automatic kingdoms, and was really happy when we switched to it. But now I regret it. I do think the max KD size should be lowered to create more kingdoms from among the game's remaining player base. Every kingdom has people leave every age, so gradually lowering to 22 players per kingdom (say, 24 max next age, then 23 max) would not force everyone to quit because they can't play with their friends. It would eventually mean more kingdoms with decent players.

But there is always extreme resistance to this from top kingdoms, which may be reason enough not to do it.

Postaholic
    The problem has always been leadership in these kingdoms. Lowering province size doesn't increase # of kingdoms. The people in 25 prov kingdoms that are no longer able to be there, are probably not the leadership leaving, and certainly not leadership looking to create a separate kingdom. I'm not totally against smaller kingdoms, but it would have to be gradual. like 24 player cap one age, then 23 next, then 22. As almost all 25 prov kingdoms have turnover at end of age, so they wouldn't have to tell any of their friends "sorry we have too many players, and you can't play with us anymore". A player that is told that is likely just to leave the game, not go to another kd and/or create a kd.

Thread Information