Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I made a Chrome plugin

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    The buildings were filled in on the growth page.
    I think I finally found the bug. It didn't happen to me because I was below 1000 acres when I looked for it. When >1k acres it was parsed as 1 acre, which of course made it seem like you had way too many buildings of each kind.

Hope this fixed it, let me know if not.

Veteran
    That sounds right. I am over 1k and have been the whole time I noticed the bug. It did work fine previously, which I assume was when I was under 1k.

I don't think the update rolled out to me yet but I will check again tomorrow.

Veteran
    Looks like it is okay now (haven't tested thoroughly but on my current set up it is correctly only telling me to raze 4 buildings).

Thanks Chaddie.

Post Fiend
    Yes, that would be perfect, thanks!
    Done. You can move the chat to all four corners from version 2.3.5

Veteran
    Thank you. That works great.

And btw the small menu icons (from a while ago) are great. I turned that option back on now.

Post Fiend
    I'm assuming this bug was related to the comma, lol.

The built-in Espionage page suffers from this same problem. If you try to sort by defense (ascending) it will list somebody with 10,000 defense as being less than somebody with 11 defense =D

Veteran
    Hi Chadde,

Can you have a look at the posts in page 5 of this thread about white screens: http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...ad-times/page5

I know nothing about coding or plug ins, but my guess is whether it is being caused by the side bar trying to pull data from multiple pages in game at the same time (spells, army, honour). Would that require it to "load" more pages than the one I am on - if so, I wonder if the throttling Utopia now has in place is causing white screens. If so, a solution might be to slow down the speed at which the side bar pulls the data from other pages. I could be totally wrong about all this.

Post Fiend
    Hi Chadde,

Can you have a look at the posts in page 5 of this thread about white screens: http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...ad-times/page5

I know nothing about coding or plug ins, but my guess is whether it is being caused by the side bar trying to pull data from multiple pages in game at the same time (spells, army, honour). Would that require it to "load" more pages than the one I am on - if so, I wonder if the throttling Utopia now has in place is causing white screens. If so, a solution might be to slow down the speed at which the side bar pulls the data from other pages. I could be totally wrong about all this.
    I was noticing the same thing yesterday. The 429 errors are causing the plugin to not load some of the data, and I'm assuming it's the same thing causing the white screens. When I was building it, I was actually concerned about the number of requests, but since the server seemed to not mind I thought it would be fine.

You are right in your assumption that it loads more than one page. Kd data from kd page, honor from state council etc.

I'm going to work on a fix for the issue today, most likely by caching the data and not automatically refresh everything on every page load.

Hey, I didn't realise your pluggin pulled multiple pages at once but if it's pulling excessive pages then yes, you'll get fired back a 429 page. If you want me to verify the load on the updated plugin let me know.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Hey, I didn't realise your pluggin pulled multiple pages at once but if it's pulling excessive pages then yes, you'll get fired back a 429 page. If you want me to verify the load on the updated plugin let me know.
    The sidebar gives a lot of information not otherwise available on the current screen. In order to get that data, it is pulling multiple pages to parse specific details from a page...and it will do this every time we change pages.
    Perhaps there is an easier way to grab that data? I'm not sure how Munk does it - but he has a similar end result (Ex: Showing you which spells are active on your Mystics page, without having to look at the advisor).
    Grabbing individual bits of data rather than parsing multiple pages would have a huge impact on load time with the plugin as well.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Yeah it pulls and parses five or six pages. The sixth one depending on whether you're at war or not. This is so the sidebar can display active spells, armies out etc.

The way it worked was that ever time you hit a game page those 5/6 requests would be made. So that can add up to quite a few if you for example are running ops on someone.

I just published version 2.4.0. It now stores the data locally every time a page is parsed. Each type of page has an expiry time. For example if you're refreshing your throne page 100 times, only one request will be made. For the rest of the page loads the sidebar data will be pulled from local storage.

Once that data is deemed expired (45 seconds for throne page) a new requests will be made. This should significantly cut the number of requests.

The expiry times are:
    throne page: 45s
    state council: 100s
    military council: 60s,
    mystics council: 55s,
    kd page: 120s,
    enemy kd: 240s

I haven't gotten a 429 yet in this version, so hopefully it fixes it. The only thing that is a little tricky is when you first sign in after being off for a while, and all the data is expired. This means all 5/6 requests need to be made. I have tried to work around it now by delaying some of them and it seems to be working.

Throne and kingdom are the only ones parsed on page load, the rest are delayed randomly by between 0.5 and 1.5 seconds. As a result some of the data in the sidebar will have that same delay before showing. We can probably live with that.

I would appreciate if you guys can test out the new version and let me know of any problems/errors you find.

And Bishop, if you can somehow confirm that the requests are within the allowed amount that would be awesome.

Thanks

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
    The sidebar gives a lot of information not otherwise available on the current screen. In order to get that data, it is pulling multiple pages to parse specific details from a page...and it will do this every time we change pages.
    Perhaps there is an easier way to grab that data? I'm not sure how Munk does it - but he has a similar end result (Ex: Showing you which spells are active on your Mystics page, without having to look at the advisor).
    Grabbing individual bits of data rather than parsing multiple pages would have a huge impact on load time with the plugin as well.
    If there's an easier way, I don't know about it. I would love to be able to read the data from an API instead of parsing HTML pages, but as far as I know no such API exists.

Munk, if you're listening and are sitting on a secret API, share it for the good of the game, man! :)

First of all I would like to thank you for creating an awesome and useful tool for Utopia. Your efforts are greatly appreciated and a welcome contribution to the Utopia community!

I wanted to commend you on your implementation of the sidebar and data overlays. Making relevant as well as contextual information glanceable is exactly the kind of functionality Utopia needs. Though some may hold fast to what is familiar, the learning curve for new players is made that much more difficult simply because of poor design. The current system of navigating pages within the game for bits of information is a much more cumbersome process than actually playing the game. The more elements that can be logically arranged, the better.

Utopia is in dire need of current standards based development with its UI as well as an API developers can interface with. Development of an API is of particular importance as it is key to the overall longevity and scaleability of the Utopia platform. Android/iOS apps, browser extensions, as well as sites like Munk's and UpoOpu are a step in the right direction with the additional accessibility, tactical information, and functionality they add to the game but the current system of parsing whole HTML pages for bits of data is inefficient and unnecessarily increases server loads.

May the powers that be develop or release an API and what you have developed continue to evolve. I look forward to the continued growth of what you have created in Utopia Enhancer.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by an|on View Post
    First of all I would like to thank you for creating an awesome and useful tool for Utopia. Your efforts are greatly appreciated and a welcome contribution to the Utopia community!

I wanted to commend you on your implementation of the sidebar and data overlays. Making relevant as well as contextual information glanceable is exactly the kind of functionality Utopia needs. Though some may hold fast to what is familiar, the learning curve for new players is made that much more difficult simply because of poor design. The current system of navigating pages within the game for bits of information is a much more cumbersome process than actually playing the game. The more elements that can be logically arranged, the better.

Utopia is in dire need of current standards based development with its UI as well as an API developers can interface with. Development of an API is of particular importance as it is key to the overall longevity and scaleability of the Utopia platform. Android/iOS apps, browser extensions, as well as sites like Munk's and UpoOpu are a step in the right direction with the additional accessibility, tactical information, and functionality they add to the game but the current system of parsing whole HTML pages for bits of data is inefficient and unnecessarily increases server loads.

May the powers that be develop or release an API and what you have developed continue to evolve. I look forward to the continued growth of what you have created in Utopia Enhancer.
    Thank you for your kind words :)

I agree having an API would open up a lot of potential. Given how dedicated we, the players, are to this game there would be Utopia clients for every platform within the first month.

A... P... I... *clap* A P I *clap* API! *clap*

Thread Information