Thread: Scientists write Books

Post Fiend

Scientists write Books

Caveat: I like the new system (I'm a maxed human sage so I may be biased) this is just an idea I had fun exploring today. Because I do that when work is boring.

TLDR: Combining old science (books) and new (scientists) while still removing the gc link:

A province spawns scientists from their population at a random rate. Laboratories increases the spawn rate.

Scientists still accumulate experience, exactly like this age (70).

Those Scientists write books, at a rate dependent upon their experience level. Revelation increases the writing rate.

The Scientists have no category, and neither do their books until published. Books only effect when they are published into whichever category you choose. (Like old system)

Amnesia rolls back the scientists experience (small but permanent, they have to retrain) as well as the books/effect you have (moderate yet temporary, the spell wears off and the effect is restored over time)

Learn attacks steal a portion of published and unpublished books, according to how they were distributed.

Abducts continue as they are this age. Accumulate more scientists, accumulate more science.

Science isn't linked to acres/nw/population and can't be bought with gc. Perhaps cap the scientists that can produce books according to the population (eg. 'only an equivalent of 1% of the population can be employed as a scientist at any time) extra scientists cannot produce work and don't accumulate experience while they are redundant. Scientists don't count as population, same as now.

Rather than a hard cap, have it scale so more is needed.

Sage continues to have more effect and protection of books.

Universities continue to protect scientists, but also protect a % of books.

Humans and Faeries continue with Revelation. Someone else, like maybe elves, gets faster graduation of their scientists (less time needed for each experience level). Undeads can't build laboratories.

....thoughts?

Enthusiast
    So you want the already random scientist generation to stay... and instead of actually getting the effect of the scientist... you want to then take the scientists you randomly got... to randomly create books based on their experience level....

Why are we adding more randomness to the randomness? I dont see how this would make it better.

Also: "Learn attacks steal a portion of published and unpublished books, according to how they were distributed."

So a professor writes a book... which you can then decide.... after it is written... what the book is going to be about? Right.

Post Fiend
    That's how it always used to be.

Perhaps a better way is you assign scientists to each area, like you do now, and they generate books in that specific area at a rate dependent upon their experience.

I like it!
    'Then he must get beard' - Mitch at 6:52am, 5.4.16, in response to 'he said "One day when I grow up I want to be like Mitch"' gg

Enthusiast
    Hm well it is a good idea ... but i just plain straight up miss books
    Live long and prosper

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonzilla View Post
    That's how it always used to be.

Perhaps a better way is you assign scientists to each area, like you do now, and they generate books in that specific area at a rate dependent upon their experience.
    WELL WELL WELL look what we have now....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzilla View Post
    WELL WELL WELL look what we have now....
    Gloating is never particularly becoming of a person. Neither is thread necroing
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Thread Information