Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utopia Game Review!

Thumbs up Utopia Game Review!

Hello, I am a new player playing this game for the first legit age. I played the last bit of age 69 and thought I would share my unneeded opinion of the game! :)

Pros:
    1. Game as a certain charm that attracts players who are into "Fantasy world" type of genres.
    2. Fun interaction with other players especially teammates!
    3. The game as seemed to stay fairly stable for a very long time!

Cons:
    1. Bottomfeeding! Players seem to like to take advantage of smaller kingdoms who have no chance of fighting back. ( This is simply a flaw in the games machanics and people are just using it for an advantage)
    2. Multi-account players. Cheating is common in any game you play though.
    3. Random "New accounts" that go inactive as soon as they are made.
    4. The game is not competitive as the front page suggests. There is no real skill to this game because it is just based off of numbers/stats and a teams success come from a willingness to wake up in the early morn to join a wave.

Final Verdict -------> 5/10 "Good"
    +I have played many games competitively and still attend tournaments for the thrill of competition. I might have graded this game a little harshly due to my competitive attitude. Overall this is a good site and I give a lot of respect for it's creator/s! Many of the flaws in this game cannot be helped and I understand that. A games lifespan is usually directly tied to the players.
    Example: I remember playing a game called "Socom" and there were certain weapons that were considered way too overpowered to be fair. (IW-80 and "Noob-Toobs" to name a few) and it was sort of a unwritten rule to never use those weapons for fairness and to keep the game competitive. Unfortunately there is no rule in this game that players respect. Bottomfeeding is by far the biggest disappointment.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Reichsmarshal View Post
    Cons:
    1. Bottomfeeding! Players seem to like to take advantage of smaller kingdoms who have no chance of fighting back. ( This is simply a flaw in the games machanics and people are just using it for an advantage)
    This is something people just can't get right. The mechanics support top feeding, not bottom feeding. Retal and you gain more back. Now, obviously I'm not an idiot and I understand that there are tons of other factors that go into things, but the idea that you can do nothing about bigger kingdoms hitting you is just entirely a falsehood.

2. Multi-account players. Cheating is common in any game you play though.
    3. Random "New accounts" that go inactive as soon as they are made.
    I'll give you that new provinces popping up and going inactive are annoying and I'm happy to concede that there's more likely than not some people playing multiple provinces. That being said, multies are most definitely not a big problem for the game. A major aspect of Utopia is networking. Players and kingdoms with more connections are going to better than kingdoms with poor connections.

4. The game is not competitive as the front page suggests. There is no real skill to this game because it is just based off of numbers/stats and a teams success come from a willingness to wake up in the early morn to join a wave.
    I'll chalk this up to a new player who is still learning the game. That's numbers and stats have to be acquired. They have to be used effectively (i.e. more effectively than the competition). This argument is similar to the argument that Poker isn't a skill game because everyone gets dealt the same cards and the people that get dealt the best cards are probably going to win.

Hey Palem! Thanks for clearing that all up. It was a shoddy and quickly-put-together of my first impressions of the game. I was originally a monarch before I quit for a day from my irritation of certain factors in the game. I remade my province to give another shot but this review is sort of my farewell to the game.
    I have been told by a player before that top feeding is much more beneficial, unfortunately when you have teammates who are too scared to strike back and tell you not to do it, you tend to get stuck with being a donation to bigger kingdoms. Some will argue that even if you do fight back you will get trolled and lose more than you would have if you just simply gave it to them. Either way I don't really care just my input that i'm sure everyone has heard a billion times :)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    If you're interested in really playing and not just hopelessly trying to get into the game in some random ghetto, I suggest visiting the recruiting forums and joining an active kingdom. I do suggest "actually" playing before riding off into the sunset. The game is a lot of fun when everyone is on the same page

The biggest "con" of the game is that random new players that don't seek out recruitment into active kingdoms are almost certainly going to find the game completely boring and leave. It's most definitely something that needs addressed.

Forum Fanatic
    Playing faery is boring, but i do agree 100% with Palems initial reply

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Playing in monstersTA would bore me far more than having played in TFC did.

Each to their own. But Pam's concept on TFC was one that actually allowed peeps like me/Strat0/Pam/Topsy/Jwuzi/Mary Lennox/Beefy/Dumno/Rainbowsaurus/BoTo/Trans19 to interact from all different parts of the server in a different way.

Some were good. Some were ****.

I'm probably part of the **** :P

I'm just saying that having done the kd wondering thing a lot....It can be very different if you approach it like Pam did.

You know nothing!

He has a point about the bottomfeeding though. When 'top kds' are running only soldiers as defense to keep their NW down for max bottomfeedings gains, you know some mechanics are clearly broken.

Increasing the kingdom NW difference penalty a bit further could partially fix the unfair feeling.
    Last edited by Dumann; 24-01-2017 at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumann View Post
    He has a point about the bottomfeeding though. When 'top kds' are running only soldiers as defense to keep their NW down for max bottomfeedings gains, you know some mechanics are clearly broken.

Increasing the kingdom NW difference penalty a bit further could partially fix the unfair feeling.
    If they running just solds for defense the for love god quad tap them. whats the problem?

Forum Fanatic
    Makeo chill the f out , I'm playing faery myself . Your probably right tho , if your that sensitive you probably wouldn't make it with us .

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Regular
    If playing faery is boring, you're playing faery wrong.

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    Makeo chill the f out , I'm playing faery myself . Your probably right tho , if your that sensitive you probably wouldn't make it with us .
    It's just your com system. Other than that, who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    If they running just solds for defense the for love god quad tap them. whats the problem?
    Lol. They have like 150,000+ soldiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    Lol. They have like 150,000+ soldiers.
    300k raw def? That's nothing. A 1.5k Ud can break that.

NS NS NS .. trolololol.

Thread Information