Thread: Scientist NW: sci is free if you're big...

Post Fiend

Scientist NW: sci is free if you're big...

Maybe I'm wrong and somebody please correct me if I am but it seems like the nw (and thus nw/a) that science gives you (scientists now, books ages past) becomes meaningless the larger you get. Whereas, if you are quite small, it may amount to an extremely large amount...

This seems like a reversal from how it was in the past, where the effects given from science were based on acres. So as you grew, u needed to keep up your ppa, and thus nw (and nw/a) that you were 'spending' in order to get those effects.

Based on last age changes where Bishop said that 100 professors would amount to about 44k nw, and how this age 146 professors will get you max sci, that's (maybe) around 64k nw. If you are 2000 acres with max sci, at a wimpy 250nwpa all those lovely effects are only costing you 32nwpa. But if you are 1000 acres with same scientists and same setup, those same effects are 'costing' you 2x the nwpa.

(math could be wrong I dunno, I'm somewhat confused at the moment).

Is this just obvious to everyone and I am over-reacting over something simple? Seems like an interesting mechanic change that I've yet to really figure out the full implications of...
    Last edited by Wolzly; 29-01-2017 at 03:43.

You are right that it does incur a NWPA penalty on smaller provinces, but I think they like to encourage growth and that would be a reason for this.

BUT, and I've raised this issue a few times since the new Science was introduced, that 44K nw for 100 profs was based on:

prof = 72h nov + 96h grad = 168h

168h/prof * 100 prof = 16,800 h

16,800h * 2.6gc NW/h = 43,680gc NW

and this was never true...

instead of 16,800h * 2.6gc NW/h, the calc, as i near as i can tell, is

16,800h * [ 1gc NW / 2.6h ] = 16,800h*gc NW / 2.6h

= 6,461.538...gc NW

Instead of 43,680gc NW

Strategy Moderator
    They lowered the nw of science this age from last age.
    One max lvl professor->novice gives
    XXX,306-XXX,239==67 nw. so 146 of them is only 9,782 nw. Alot lower than the 44k it was last age.

Post Fiend
    Ahhh okay I see.

So still true that there's a dropoff to what % of nw u will inflate directly from scientists and their levels, to the point where it means nothing.

But they changed it so that it means nearly nothing in terms of nw to begin with anyway?

Near as I can tell, its still 1/2.6GC per hour of experience. I've calculated my own NW out to the unit, less anything from scientists. It leaves me with a difference of 10,883 NW. I have 28,296 ticks of Scientist experience.

10,883 / 28,296 = 0.384612

1 / 2.6 = 0.384615

... Back on topic

I dont think its that huge of a deal, but one thing you could do to alleviate is have the NW-value of scientists modified in some way by the inverse of the # scientists / acre
    Last edited by RattleHead; 30-01-2017 at 04:25.

Post Fiend
    Ya no not a huge deal, probably not even with the larger value I thought scientists were worth.

I do find it interesting, though, that something with as large an effect as sci has little-to-no impact on nw.

Well, with books you invested gc so it made sense that sci affected NW in such a fashion.

Scientists are free to generate and train however, so having the almost neglible for NW also makes sense.

Thread Information