Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier Aid

Post Demon

Soldier Aid

I'd like to suggest that no province should be able to send soldier aid to the extend that it would underpop them more than 10%, and that subsequently no province should be able to recieve soldier aid that would overpop their province with more than 10%

This should if anything make nw manipulation harder, as well as prevent that one noob we all probably had who uppon leaving the game released everything and sent it all to your monarch, thinking he did the kd a favour, but overpoping your monarch in the process so elites left him for several hours. It will not however not prevent people in need to recieve aid, and it will also allow overpopulated provinces to send out what they need to send out.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

That should apply only oow.

Enthusiast
    This has to be somehow tweaked as to not allow large kds to abuse soldier aid for nw manipulation
    BLUE your my boy!

Post Fiend
    Ok +1

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty87 View Post
    This has to be somehow tweaked as to not allow large kds to abuse soldier aid for nw manipulation
    That's seemingly what he's trying to accomplish. On the other hand it interferes with cooperative actions like exploring etc so I think that it's probably a bad idea.
    Besides, I don't see what's wrong with kd's using aid to fiddle with their effective nw, it goes both ways, you can use soldier aid to inflate your nw to hit a bigger target and then send it away.
    If there's anything wrong atm it's because the game isn't using landbased gains anymore, that was tamperproof. So the solution seems obvious, fix the underlying problem, don't patch half-measures on half-measures.
    Last edited by Elldallan; 01-02-2017 at 13:55.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Post Demon
    @Elldallan you can not hit when you are to overpop 115%, and even in exploration senario you can explore with the 10% soldier overpop you can get and you are ready for another 10% soldier overpop right away.

@ Bo To Agree it probably should only be oow restrictions, sometimes you are at 50% pop there, and nw manipulations are not so big in war as you will have a lot less factors to account for and really should be trained up when entering war.

Just trying to find a solution for preventing gains vs 50% of nw via nw drop, and yes I don't think those instances happen with a mere equivalent of 10% of max pop of soldiers sent out, I'd like a solid drop in honor gains outside 90-110% nw range too, but I think the limmitations of 10% overpop/underpop OOW should work in favour of this beeing less profitable. Also you can always aid more soldiers by for instance waiting for peasants to leave or intra fb, or to build up acres, but build up acres gives higher nw and is not good if you want to manipulate downwards, and razing on the other hand to drop max pop means you will have to rebuild to repeat, which again is more costly in resurces and would take time meaning you can do this less often.

Wether 10% is the right amount, or 8% or some other % would be better can always be tweaked arround after it is implemented.
    Furthermore I think Carthage should be destroyed and Dryads brought back to the game

Postaholic
    So with this idea, a province that is chained could no longer receive soldier aid to block desertions.

Not sure I like that.

I assume the reason is NW manipulation as people have said, or to stop soldier ball bounces?

Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    @Elldallan you can not hit when you are to overpop 115%, and even in exploration senario you can explore with the 10% soldier overpop you can get and you are ready for another 10% soldier overpop right away.
    If you want to do a full 100%, or 50% if you're above kd median and want to retain decent economy after explore that 10% is likely not going to be enough to do that. If your kdmates can't underpop themselves more than 10% that's also gonna be a major issue for kd's who are trying to explore cows. Hence I think it's a bad idea.

True you cannot attack while more than 115% overpop, but what you do is you take/draft solds over time and try to stay overpopped, that way nearly all your peasants will leave and you can then proceed. Either you send the solds out when you want to hit(if you want to hit downwards) or you take in the solds to hit upwards and then send em out again after hit. Unbuilt acres is generally a bad idea unless you're really really far out of range. I really don't see this as a problem though, it's just good play and that's not something we should punish.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiedema View Post
    So with this idea, a province that is chained could no longer receive soldier aid to block desertions.

Not sure I like that.

I assume the reason is NW manipulation as people have said, or to stop soldier ball bounces?
    Yeah I assume as much too and I don't think we should punish good play.
    Last edited by Elldallan; 02-02-2017 at 22:59.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Enthusiast
    Do you mean once per tick?

I have made this noobmanoeuvre before and the guy didnt appreciate it - but it is through mistakes that people learn. Rarely do people send so many soldiers but if people choose to do so (early age sol sending to a bank) they should be allowed to.
    Live long and prosper

Veteran
    Wouldn't it be easier to just make soldiers incur a higher TB penalty? As a variation, after a certain tax rate, the Utopian Lords could forbid the shipment of soldiers to such an economically unstable region.

Strategy Moderator
    err the biggest issue with this is in war/post war this couldn't apply.
    i mean there are LOTS of times i'm more than 10% underpopulated due to some FBing, drafting and cant use all my solds....it seems ridiculous that i couldnt aid someone else to spend their spec credits.
    Similarlly during EOWCF i often release all my specs and aid them to chained people to explore, it can take me 12+ hours sometimes to reach 90% population and i'd rather send my solds for an asap explore than have to release them to peasents/repop/then redraft to aid.

Post Demon
    And if we exclude war?

I hardly think it is such a big issue that people can not find another way of playing it if putting a limmit of 10% overpop/underpop from aid outside of war. Exploring and getting soldiers in one go insted of over a few tics hardly justify a system where a province 170% of the nw of my kingdoms biggest t/m can manipulate and drop to 120% of that provinces nw, make a hit and get the soldiers back and be 170% of that provinces networth moments after making the hit.

With the ingame spyware called munkbot the attacker can even time it when the province they are hitting is least likely to be on.

soldiers should not be sent in aid this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    And if we exclude war?

I hardly think it is such a big issue that people can not find another way of playing it if putting a limmit of 10% overpop/underpop from aid outside of war. Exploring and getting soldiers in one go insted of over a few tics hardly justify a system where a province 170% of the nw of my kingdoms biggest t/m can manipulate and drop to 120% of that provinces nw, make a hit and get the soldiers back and be 170% of that provinces networth moments after making the hit.

With the ingame spyware called munkbot the attacker can even time it when the province they are hitting is least likely to be on.
    I don't see why skillful use of the tools in the game should be punished. This isn't really a particularly significant issue. Either CF the top kd's or don't run provinces within the size envelope of their provinces. I think putting this sort of limitation would have other more damaging drawbacks, like making exploring harder and such. This issue could easily be solved with landbased gains, so if it needs patching then patch the underlying issue, don't patch it with band-aids.

Forum Fanatic
    Landbased gains then turn into spammed provinces mass exploring with no defense as it used to be . No reason to go from one weak system back to a badly exploited one from before

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Thread Information