Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New age coming soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    No, its a strategy game, why should they be punishied cause they are having a more effective strategy that yours?
    Because bottom feeding is not a strategy that's fun for anyone but the select few on top?
    And games need to be fun to succeed on a large scale?

So, since the new owners want to make the game bigger again, they need to do something about the not-so-fun aspects of it?

But I guess you never bomttomfed, everyone of your hit is within range of both kd and province nw right? Or is it only a issue when its you getting the end of the stick?
    Actually - no, I do not.

My last land attack was against someone 110% my own NW and 83% my KD-NW. Pretty much all other land gains were made in war, so far.
    Plunders and Abducts were also in very similar NW-ranges to maximise gains per attack and minimize return times.

TL;DR: I do as I preach.

Quote Originally Posted by steamrick View Post
    Because bottom feeding is not a strategy that's fun for anyone but the select few on top?
    And games need to be fun to succeed on a large scale?

So, since the new owners want to make the game bigger again, they need to do something about the not-so-fun aspects of it?

Actually - no, I do not.

My last land attack was against someone 110% my own NW and 83% my KD-NW. Pretty much all other land gains were made in war, so far.
    Plunders and Abducts were also in very similar NW-ranges to maximise gains per attack and minimize return times.

TL;DR: I do as I preach.
    Yea, must be really fun game when you punish those that play the game good and reward those that play the game not so good. Besides, bottomfeeding has been rampant forever in utopia, even when it was at its peak. It has no real effect on amount of player.s There is certainly larger issues with the game than bottomfeeding.

Did you account for KD NW!!?!?

So... your excuse for not dealing with a problem is that it's been there forever?

Great attitude. You'll go far in life.

edit: Just because it's not Utopia's biggest problem does not mean it's not worth addressing.

So... your excuse for not dealing with a problem is that it's been there forever?

edit: Just because it's not Utopia's biggest problem does not mean it's not worth addressing.

You mean your attitude is better? You want to punish those that are better than you cause you cant play on the same level. lol.

Needs to get out more
    Korp, he's only at 7 posts. Give him a sec to see if anything is worthwhile in the forum.

Even if said player is an incognito forum troll we should spar cleanly and softly till they show an undeniable addiction to making their opinions matter.

And we will find out. Patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I like to post

Steamrick. If you first want to get to know the utoforums and the community, I suggest you block Korp so you don't have to read his posts. Once you're ready for it, display his messages once again. Korp is only here to discourage new people from positively contributing. He fears anything that new, and is a prime example of old-fashioned vested interest trying to maintain the status quo. Don't feed him either.

Rich coming from Bart though consider you have been actively doing what hes against all age. Trying to ruin as many people's utopian experience as possible. :)

You want to punish those that are better than you cause you cant play on the same level. lol.
    By my counting they are worse, because they win less wars.
    Hint: differening priorities. Most utopia players don't care about having the largest possible province.

That aside, none of that makes the fact that 50mil NW KDs will hit into 10mil NW KDs with impunity less of a problem for the game as a whole.
    An 10.5m NW KD waving a 10m NW KD? All part of the game - that's what Ceasefire is for, or failing that it's not impossible for the smaller KD to win such a fight. Some asshole from a huge KD repeatedly hitting into much smaller KDs for land or honor? That's a game problem.

There's a reason that competitive games such as World of Tanks have a matchmaker that throws opponents with similar-strength tanks together, instead of just choosing a bunch at random. It's all about letting everyone have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    Steamrick. If you first want to get to know the utoforums and the community, I suggest you block Korp so you don't have to read his posts. Once you're ready for it, display his messages once again. Korp is only here to discourage new people from positively contributing. He fears anything that new, and is a prime example of old-fashioned vested interest trying to maintain the status quo. Don't feed him either.
    Ah. I'll be taking your advice on this issue, thanks.

Director of Age Changes
    There are systems in place that help the smaller kingdom, you just don't know how to take full advantage of them.
    Winning more wars is not a metric of success. The top kingdoms are the cream of the crop in warring skills even if they're like 0/1 wars.
    If the "50m kd" was your size, you'd get wrecked by them in a war anyway.
    Last edited by Avenger; 25-02-2017 at 15:02.
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Bart killed one kingdom already this age and raze 2 additional kingdoms to the ground. It seems comfortable to listen to Bart cause he sings a tune you currently like but in the end he's your real enemy.

There is a lot of protection for smaller kds against larger kingdoms. But at some point you can't hold the small kingdoms hand any longer. Take my kingdom for example last age we got razed for 2 months by a kingdom 5 times bigger than us. This he they are in hiding cause they aren't in same secure position.

Administrator

Talking On-Topic Please

Please stay on topic.

If you'd like to discuss strategy, do it in the Strategy Forum.

If you'd like to make suggestions for the game, do it in the Suggestions area.

To clarify some discussions:
    1) Utopia is a Strategy game (evidenced by the title here)
    2) If a kd (or player) chooses growth as his/their strategy, while another kd chooses warring (and stays smaller as a result) it does not make 1 "better" or more "good" at playing the game than the other. Each objective will inherently result in different outcomes in terms of province sizes throughout the age.
    3) Bottomfeeding has been an on-going struggle to deal without throughout Utopia's history. There will likely never be a 'fix' to prevent bottom feeding, however there can be mechanics within that make it less appealing, i.e. the relative nw gains formula that includes KD relative nw. We've already stated we plan to revise the gains formula. Be excited :)
    4) Ages have historically been 70-110 days long. I would recommend you set your calendar notifications to accommodate for shorter ages in the future!
    5) We will look to include social media and any other form of communication we have available to us to stimulate growth of the game.
    Last edited by DavidC; 25-02-2017 at 15:59.

Needs to get out more
    What I'm pointing out to kingdoms in question is fairly obvious.

I suggest the war kingdoms having trouble to (kingdom) strat properly; they all seem to think war strat is best, but I offer the evidence of 'complaining' as evidence of an improper strat.

Let's clear the dry erase board so I can illustrate this properly.

- if you're so good at war that you grow from winning and do so consistently
    - if by winning these wars you end up big and tops want your stuff
    - if diplomacy from a position of weakness is not a skill set

You should really consider changing your war strat to a top feed strat and count on your war prowess to defeat your contemporaries. Heck, I'm running an orc mystic so don't tell me you need the "attacker smorgasbord of mechanical grace" to win wars or "t/ms that don't have reach club" to secure unbreakable.

You heard it from a Utopian drifter. Why suffer the grief you can avoid?
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    Korp is only here to discourage new people from positively contributing. He fears anything that new, and is a prime example of old-fashioned vested interest trying to maintain the status quo.
    I'd say that's an unfair characterization. At worst I'd say Korp is here to argue with people. How good are your posts if you can't defend them?

What about those of us who are just here for the beer Palem? What about us huh?

Oh wait... no beer.....
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    I'd say that's an unfair characterization. At worst I'd say Korp is here to argue with people. How good are your posts if you can't defend them?

I'm sure korp has feelings to. Now just apply "mirror of sympathy" to adjust your tone to ambient guidance.

I'm not one to exploit semantics of phrasing. Perhaps the poster isn't pro pro and again is evidently new.

The poster should know their words aren't lost on debating with debaters. They should know some of us care and encourage their presence. :-) like me.
    ________
    Weed bowls

Thread Information