Thread: Dwarf/Mystic acceptable?

Post Fiend

Dwarf/Mystic acceptable?

Hello.

I am wondering what the current consensus (prelim changes) on Dwarf/Mystic is and whether you think it is viable/you would allow it in your KD. I'm currently looking for a KD and this is an attractive pers/race to me. Looking for strategy advice as well!

Thank you.

Edit: Not looking for 'everything is acceptable' answers. Also what about Dwarf/rogue?
    Last edited by FATstrat; 05-03-2017 at 22:16.

Regular
    I'd go dwarf rogue over mystic. The be bonus just helps more when it comes to rogue stuff in my opinion. I wouldn't mind a dwarf rogue in my kd but you'd have to be highly active and already have a decent knowledge of builds. It's harder to turtle with all the offense that's gonna be around so, a dwarfs best bet is taking advantage of its ability to change builds/ adapt to situations.
    Monarch Bad JuJu age 68

#badjuju
    #vivalakandis
    #gombe

Post Fiend
    BE doesnt affect the guilds?

Veteran
    Both are 'okay' but hardly excel. Dwarf has no race bonuses for either thievery or magic, such as the wpa/tpa mods you usualy need to pull off harder ops, or cheap thieves, etc. It has a passive bonus to towers and tds with it's high BE, so that's something, but it's kinda thin.

I say this only because you said you don't want the 'anything is possible!' answer. I kinda believe you should have as much fun as possible, and if that means playing dwarrf mystic, then go for it. But maybe you find your fun from competing hard and battling it out and overcoming enemies, and I think you will likely be frustrated by dwarf mystic or rogue. Consider elf instead?
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FATstrat View Post
    BE doesnt affect the guilds?
    No. BE no longer affects guilds.
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

We have several dwarf rogues in our kingdom for this age, all do very well and have good offense ability and good honor. Our dwarves are split between rogue and sage, but I would agree that rogue is better than mystic. BE assists the TDs and you might be able to steal the high food required for the race while maintaining good overall ability to both attack and OP.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -George S. Patton

Strategy Moderator
    I think Elf Mystic seems a better fit since in the preliminary changes elf has a stronger defensive spec, a comparable but slightly weaker elite, and a number of mage related bonuses and more useful race spells. Dwarf rogue seems a good pick for a hybrid rogue. Halfling is better as a dedicated thief, but dwarf hybrid can turtle.

Scribe
    Agree elf is overall a better fit, but depending on the level of organisation of your KD and the enemies you expect to fight, I could see a preservation argument for running dwarf. No mystics have CS this age. Your only defense against rogues running rampant is WTs (20% more effective on dwarf to begin with) ... and WTs burn. Dwarf can rebuild them for free in 6 hours when that happens. An elf or faery is waiting 12 hours minimum unless their KD has a good chunk of cash for them, and that's assuming there's any money around to rebuild at all. It's mostly irrelevant against a well organised enemy that smokes the wizards before you can say boo, but against slow burn rogue work that's a pretty nice perk. And dwarf elites will resist NS better than elf dspecs, plus offer more offensive capability if the mystic finds themselves in a position where they need to take a more aggressive combat approach (free build also helps with this).

Tl;dr there are picks that make more sense for the role but dw/my is probably not horribru if it's where your heart is!
    Last edited by Coffee; 06-03-2017 at 03:54.

Needs to get out more
    I'm running an orc mystic right now. The concept basis for me is duality and decent resistance. I'm running it because there were two combinations that were not used anywhere on the server. One was halfer cleric, but I can run that strat up top and feel comfortable. The challenge was the other; orc mystic.

As Coffee points out, raze was used liberally against me, but was expected..as was massacre. But the one thing I learned in running faery cleric is that drawing in these mutilating attacks is part of the overall strategy. Duality creates a problem that must be solved by the opponent. Of particular note was the undead sage I ran last age that could break halfers with spells and army. Thus, I've danced with similar builds and conclude you operate on a bigger picture than simple effectiveness.

Your strategy should include reactive offense, meter stewardship and knowledge of enemy trade balance. You'll be aware of who you can break but it varies if your taking attacks. Most t/ms operate from a fixed nw position, but you're likely to fluctuate due to breakability and threat level. Chastity is castable I found, and this should be the foundation your theatrics work from. If you get crushed you can cast meteors, but you'll also get raze/mass to keep you from reaping mayhem in the enemy chained provinces. Chastity is the staple to your other capabilities. It doesn't last long but it allows you to continue to pile on the dirt with the opponent struggling to dig out. They will be aided and thus, it must be made inefficient.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 06-03-2017 at 04:29.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Scribe
    Depends what you are wanting the dwarf/mystic to do. They should definitely be able to run ops on attackers but they most likely will not be able to spell on an elf or faery.
    However the dwarf has a much better economy. So if you are looking at somewhat of a jack of all trades that can run decent ops and aid the kingdom then it may not be a bad choice.

Thread Information