62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Books

31 50.00%
  • Scientists

31 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll - Books or Scientists

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    I preferred buying science with GC. It was horribly broken, but i loved abusing it.
    Yeah, that was the best *sighs longingly*
    "The Utopian voice of reason" ~Ben (And he's an official moderator)

Post Fiend
    I can fathom and appreciate the new sciences - the concept of provinces reaching the maximum scientific advancement possible within their age ... i hope that the changes to scientists will be enough to make maxing sciences a difficult struggle ... but the neverending need to grow acres and networth and therefore increase books to benefit the sciences of your province was a lovely thing ...
    Live long and prosper

Needs to get out more
    To be honest the science system intended to balance things hasn't been a total miss in my opinion.

The age 71 changes in the overall race to race, personality to personality are top fed nerfed. For the game to maintain a level of credible balance the 2 categories can't drift far apart.

The type of kingdom required to thwart bottom feeders will be more fragile than in previous ages. To put this in perspective, if a top kingdom sees acres they want from a non-ally that appears dangerous they can aim an incognito ally war kingdom toward said top feeder and take the acres from the ally war kingdom. There use to be enough balance to compete in war vs a pure war build, but that no longer exists. Review the honor vs anon changes also to grasp this concept.
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    Ah well it seems it is a fairly accepted option either way ... at least some people appreciate the scientists over the books... strato as usual you are wise and weird...
    Live long and prosper

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moon of Earth View Post
    Ah well it seems it is a fairly accepted option either way ... at least some people appreciate the scientists over the books... strato as usual you are wise and weird...
    some certainly do. but don't go by any pole in this forum. A pole here is pretty much useless because only a fraction of players come here.

Last edited by brandonc204; 11-10-2018 at 07:39.

Post Fiend
    Yes ... it destroys part of the game because max sciences for all is like no sciences at all. But i have faith in Jeff and Dave ... hopefully Scientists come to something good... they are winning the poll anyway ... (i think polls are a good way to get player opinion ... they arent surefire but what else is there?)
    Last edited by The Moon of Earth; 12-03-2017 at 19:58. Reason: a genie within a magic lamp so wished it...
    Live long and prosper

Post Fiend
    It's been a long time since I played an age with books - I returned from a long absence just as the new science system was coming in - but I don't mind the idea of auto-spawn scientists, in principle.

I just think it needs work, in terms of implementation: The tweaks made to balance it out will make it 'not totally broken' this age, but I liked the idea of non-linear diminishing returns, and I think you could make that work with much higher or even non-existent caps - so you can get extremely powerful bonuses in one or two areas, but doing so would require you to basically forego all other areas of scientific development. There's also a legitimate question as to whether or not we want to dilute the effect as a Province grows, as a balancing factor. (Personally, I lean against that one, but there are compelling arguments to be made in either direction.)

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    The major issue is that they solved one problem with 2 fixes that individually would've already fixed the issue. The past science tremendously rewarded good players. The new system does not reward good players at all.
    This is the most well written, concise, spot on analysis of the entire science issue that I've seen anywhere.

Except it's not true?
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Post Fiend
    What was the original "problem" with sciences?
    Live long and prosper

You couldn't ever catch someone up if they could break away and sit pumping it.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|

Post Fiend
    Aye ... same with acres or defense points though hey?
    Live long and prosper

Not really, not since we modified paradise and the explore pool growth

Needs to get out more
    The problem is when science seals the 3 aspects of breakability and not the pure numerical value. What I mean by this is because a land pumped CF top province could pump science and vulture honor unopposed, they could achieve veritable unbreakability. Without the constant distractions of a non-top, non-CFd environment, top kingdoms could pump on higher peasant ratios with fewer distractions.

Anyone who's done top kingdom routine knows the environment is at times flawless. In Pyro I was never attacked out of war excepting arranged waves; nor did any non-top ever take my intel out of war. That my friends is how much freedom to pump I had. My gold contributions were massive to say the least, for a core province.
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Thread Information