Thread: Befuddled bouncing

Post Fiend

Befuddled bouncing

I bounced and i am unsure why ... The target had 244 defense points and i sent 129 soldiers with one general and it read out as 104.9% chance of success.
    Live long and prosper

Strategy Moderator
    they had 244 def points but were probubly 300 acres. if your acres are greater than your defense points your def is your acres.

Post Fiend
    Ah okey dokey ... there is my something new learned for today ... cheers!
    Live long and prosper

Needs to get out more
    1. Did they receive aid?
    2. Are they capable of casting multiple layers of defense spells?
    3. Did they move their scientists?

I'm not saying this to you, Moon. But @ All: Besides Persians point there are other reasons bounces happen. I'm old school and oversend on instinct. The origin of my distaste for organized warfare was the wave commander failing to assess the full defensive capabilities of the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    It turns out their defense was 244 and their land was 501 ... i am now pondering if it replaces the original value as Persain believes or if they combine as a Kingdommate believes.
    Live long and prosper

Needs to get out more
    Land defense trumps troop levels, if higher, as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moon of Earth View Post
    It turns out their defense was 244 and their land was 501 ... i am now pondering if it replaces the original value as Persain believes or if they combine as a Kingdommate believes.
    What Persain said is right. He/She has 501 def points then.

Strategy Moderator
    http://wiki.utopia-game.com/index.ph...inimum_Defense

yup just for refernce. it was defintally a land def thing.

The min. def you can have is your land :). You can't have less than that.

Post Demon
    It is a good idea to go with a higher % off vs def when the targets def is lower, allmost all of my own fails comes from cutting it to close or multi hitting same target so their BE makes defenses increase (Humans last age caused several of those and I normally can go an age without failing more than 5 times).

Be mindfull of the land def and add like 50% to that since you most likely had that military and you'll not fail or need to ask about close cut calculations. I'll happily add 20-30% or whatever seems right to ensure success against low defense provinces whenever I have the military, usually I send an even number of troops that seems about right and gives an offense above the targets defense, sometimes I send the unmodded off what I needed and ME + Science ensure I'm well on the safe side.

Not even sure 104,9% off is needed sometimes on a big hit I cut much closer without failing, I think it is just the recomended safety magin and you still succeed even on 101%

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    It is a good idea to go with a higher % off vs def when the targets def is lower, allmost all of my own fails comes from cutting it to close or multi hitting same target so their BE makes defenses increase (Humans last age caused several of those and I normally can go an age without failing more than 5 times).

Be mindfull of the land def and add like 50% to that since you most likely had that military and you'll not fail or need to ask about close cut calculations. I'll happily add 20-30% or whatever seems right to ensure success against low defense provinces whenever I have the military, usually I send an even number of troops that seems about right and gives an offense above the targets defense, sometimes I send the unmodded off what I needed and ME + Science ensure I'm well on the safe side.

Not even sure 104,9% off is needed sometimes on a big hit I cut much closer without failing, I think it is just the recomended safety magin and you still succeed even on 101%
    If I am not working on outdated information the 104.9% take into account the random factor built into the game. Yes most times you will succeed with 101% but that one time the random factor gets you and you bounce you will wish you had sent 104.9%.

Post Demon
    104.036% approximately. Which means 104.05% showing to be sure of the rounding, but if you want to calc it by hand you can maybe save sending those last 4 elites. (Yes, I've done that before.) The only other meaningful point is at 97% sent, which we can make the assumption represents the 50% chance of success mark. (Non-symmetrical random factors are not ruled out or ever stated not to exist. But seriously, why would anyone ever even think of that, never mind implement it?)

Be wary of the target being online. And why are you not retaking the SoM after each hit? (Er, right, cause elites home don't matter to normal races. I'm too used to Faery attacker, I cut *all* my hits close normally, including re-SoMing normally unless I know I have o-spec to spare. Gonna be hard to get used to Avian this age.)
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Fiend
    Its 104.34 hey?
    Live long and prosper

Thread Information