Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: men - soldiers

Post Fiend

men - soldiers

In the Internal Affairs page it reads for Mills description of effect as men where it should say soldiers. Not all moonlings are male and im sure other provinces are the same ...
    Live long and prosper

Did you just assume their gender?

The women are peasants, the men go to war. Just how it is.
    -- Freedom Valley - Cartoon Networth - Harsh Cheeses - HaLL of FORCE - The Fantastic Trollfags - Polar Bears - Simians - Pew Pew - RoO - Mango Unchained - RoO

Post Fiend
    Women war also ... thats how it is in my imagination ... it just seems an annoyance to me - here is Australia women can be accepted as members of the army ... i thought it so with all of Western Civilisation ... they are the minority but they still exist ... apart from anything else the troops we all send to explore are soldiers ... not men...
    Live long and prosper

Postaholic
    Because when I log into my fantasy escape from this world's reality, the changes I want to see the most are us being as politically correct as this world is turning out to be..

It could be more correct to list it as soldiers rather than men. Would be more clear as to what resource is being used (Soldiers or peasants) but I don't think it should be done just for political correctness.

Post Fiend
    Not for political correctness ... just correctness ... players send soldiers to explore - not men...
    Live long and prosper

Quote Originally Posted by The Moon of Earth View Post
    Not for political correctness ... just correctness ... players send soldiers to explore - not men...
    While I understand that Utopia is a fantasy MMORPG, the words 'soldiers' and 'men' are nearly synonymous. It is a very recent development that women have been able to do any soldiering. Women in the military, and combat roles in particular, was very uncommon.
    Last edited by Pillz; 21-03-2017 at 18:05.

Post Fiend
    Well its the Utopian 70's ... they should catch up...
    Live long and prosper

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    While I understand that Utopia is a fantasy MMORPG, the words 'soldiers' and 'men' are nearly synonymous. It is a very recent development that women have been able to do any soldiering. Women in the military, and combat roles in particular, was very uncommon.
    Please as early as 600 if not earlier you can find proof of female warriors.

Scribe
    It really doesn't matter what who thinks of what as far as women in the military. It's not men vs women, it's men vs soldiers.

Fixing it to soldiers will make clear as to which resources are needed and used.

Scribe
    A patriarchal society fits the definition of utopia, right? men and soldiers are synonymous enough

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by natebane View Post
    A patriarchal society fits the definition of utopia, right? men and soldiers are synonymous enough
    if you insist on drawing references from real like I think you will find that if you asked a soldiers if all men were soldiers he may have a strong opinion on such.

otherwise for a new player soldier makes things much more clear.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    if you insist on drawing references from real like I think you will find that if you asked a soldiers if all men were soldiers he may have a strong opinion on such.

otherwise for a new player soldier makes things much more clear.
    Conversely, you could ask the soldier if all soldiers are men. Also if it's no big deal we could change the military page to say 'Number of Men' if its just for new player clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Please as early as 600 if not earlier you can find proof of female warriors.
    In irrelevantly small numbers. And well before 600AD, actually, you do find evidence of female warriors.

But warriors are not soldiers, anyways.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by natebane View Post
    Conversely, you could ask the soldier if all soldiers are men. Also if it's no big deal we could change the military page to say 'Number of Men' if its just for new player clarity.
    if that would make it clearer, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But it doesn't.

Scribe
    Explore page:
    Exploration Costs (Soldiers)
    Exploration Costs (Gold)

Internal affairs page:
    Lower building costs by 0.0% (3.59%)
    Reduce exploration costs in gold by 0.0% (2.69%)
    Reduce exploration costs in men by 0.0% (1.79%)

Really not seeing the ambiguity here if a new player has made it to these pages. The deduction needed is non-existent, you could literally change men to anything and nothing would be affected.

Thread Information