Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Viable?

Hybrid Viable?

Heavy attacker and T/M are the easier provinces to play as for attacker, you max your military, while for T/M, you max your thieves and wizards and defence.
    How about a hybrid, I have played one in the past but it didn't really work for me.

I'm not a hybrid this age, but I'm curious to learn more about it... Got any tips for playing one?
    Started Age 68

Strategy Moderator
    Halfling makes a pretty good hybrid this age with their thievery bonus and + population bonus. They can be successful as either a hybrid thief/attacker or mage/attacker.

This age I don't see viable hybrid. Either go full t/m(halfer) or full attacker(avian/und). Everything else is blah. Last age dwarf/human/sage was strong. At the moment the difference between off and def is too high.

Post Fiend
    Orc Rogue is a good choice ... your province suffers from magic damage for being Orc and with your thief abilities you can be a great help to your Kingdommates ... if your enemies are too busy exposing your thieves then at least they arent fireballing your peasants away ... you can also help your Kingdommates gathering intel and nightstriking... also you can assassinate those wizards that would be exposing your thieves...
    Live long and prosper

Post Fiend
    We got 18 Halflings and 4 elves, all hybrid attackers. Figured we'd try something new rather than the standard setup we usually have.
    So far the Halflings are able to push out pretty solid numbers, with the Elves being strong too. Although these very high acre-growths in war make pumping them difficult. Hybrids are still a viable option, if you know how to play them and accept that there are weaknesses to it (as with any setup).

Regards,
    NighT

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by LochNess View Post
    Heavy attacker and T/M are the easier provinces to play as for attacker, you max your military, while for T/M, you max your thieves and wizards and defence.
    How about a hybrid, I have played one in the past but it didn't really work for me.

I'm not a hybrid this age, but I'm curious to learn more about it... Got any tips for playing one?

I find Dwarf/Rogue to be a decent hybrid this age. The dwarf BE bonus helps max out your TD bonuses. It's not a traditional hybrid in the sense that you are strong at both attacking and thieving. It's more of a dynamic hybrid, where you capitalize on the dwarf free-build bonus to shift your buildings to favor either attacking or thieving. For instance, swapping out TDs for TGs and Rax as you grow to boost your offense or swapping in GS, Forts when being chained and then swapping in TDs to use prop and your increased TPA to rebuild your defenses.

I like to post
    Dwarf is a strong hybrid this age. The extra sci from Rev cannot be discounted either. with labs and rev ur able to quickly max BE sci and run close to 150% BE. Run high homes even in warbuild and due to high BE even low % of builds will give huuuuge effects.

I was thinking about dwarf with their BE boost... but still find +15% pop on halfer much better even with the -be penalty.

Needs to get out more
    I'm pretty fond of running hybrids and I'm a sloppy builder.

Never doing any weighty percentages with a calculator, most of my hybrids are based in durability. I like cleric on the t/m races but I've run a commendable few attacker races with t/m personalities.

The elf cleric has been really good for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Enthusiast

Halfer and elf both run viable hybrids.

But as a core they have no chance of competing against heavy attackers particularly halfer. Once you get chained those thieves become useless and are one of the first units to be released. Elf can atleast use their wizards to mitigate releasing through LL and can then easily op opposing kds and Mv ms off kd mates.
    BLUE your my boy!

Thanks for the answers guys. So generally, what would be your aims in terms of OPA/DPA for running hybrid? Should you aim for similar offense and defense numbers so you can't get multi-tapped as much?

Regarding WPA/TPA it would depend on the situation, so not as useful to ask here I guess..
    Started Age 68

You should aim for 4 tpa 3wpa. Depending on your race/perso you can go higher. About opa/dpa depends on the race - if you choose dwarf you should go full elite army. You can do it with elves/halfers as well.

Strategy Moderator
    Thanks for the answers guys. So generally, what would be your aims in terms of OPA/DPA for running hybrid? Should you aim for similar offense and defense numbers so you can't get multi-tapped as much?
    For halfling, you want to run pretty heavy on elites so that you have more defense than the pure attackers in your kingdom. The elites are pretty flexible to send out on attacks also. The ratio you want depends a bit on the rest of your kingdom and the opponent's offenses and defenses, but maybe 5 elites per to 3 o specs initially. During war, you'll train more o specs with credits and any cash that can be spared. The total numbers depends a lot on how good of a war prep you have time for.

Postaholic
    The thing that most people don't really understand is that every hybrid has a super power.

For example, Halfer can use soldiers as offense and really pack a punch. soldiers with aggression are 4/2, according to the guide? And horses worth 2 (unaffected by BE, so also efficient), so that's a base value of 6 with aggression and horse.

Dwarf has building powers, so a dwarf can easily switch out buildings at whim, and get very creative. This is amazing in war with credits making raze free, and free build at double speed. (plus builder's boon -2 hours)

Hydrid builds also have to compensate. Usually this means higher homes, especially as the round progresses. There are sacrifices to playing a hybrid and you have to understand how to roll with the challenges, and compromise in what you want it to do., balancing the dual/tri qualities of your creature.

Needs to get out more
    I'm not an opa/dpa guy in that most of my hybrid development is based in what feels right to me. I like running cleric for more than just the low losses in and of themselves. Sometimes the cleric ability allows me to run smaller army that can sustain while I run higher wpa/dpa.

I play off the counter as a norm, so I see being razed/mass'd as much an opportunity because I attempt to function in all 3 aspects of mechanical engagement(wizards, thieves, troops). Since I'm most accustomed to attacking I'm not afraid to suicide if I feel I can leverage the meter. I can also play position which I use to play wackamole in a net worth position and preserves relative wpa/tpa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Thread Information