Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: resurrect fog spell

Post Fiend

resurrect fog spell

Bring back fog spell but add it to one of the personalities as a means to counter tacticians fast attack time, adding an extra element to the game.

Right now warrior has no personality spells, so maybe warriors can have it?

Fog isnt coming back. It ruins schedules.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Forum Fanatic
    so does working ,can we eliminate working ?

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    why not bring it back with a different effect? i think more specific spells for races, the better.. increased attack time is obviously not an option, but it could be reduced gains or increased losses for the attacker which both makes sense from 'fog' perspective..

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Isn't that the point?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stah View Post
    Isn't that the point?
    No. There are people who can only play at certain times of the day. If you add fog, it would make their armies return much later than what they expected and that could be at an inconvenient time for them. Ultimately if people find that their armies keep returning at inconvenient times for them, why would they even want to continue playing this game?

I personally like the idea of completely screwing people over on their schedule, but I see the PoV of how this is bad for the game overall lol...

Army who attacks through fog could be somehow easier to ambush... since its a suggestion thread, not a shoot-down thread.

Forum Fanatic
    They could like we did and vortex people who might have had it cast or hit someone who didnt have it. Lord forbid inconvenience people playing a game. But it will never come back tho,Its not politically correct to make things difficult for people at times like it used to be .
    We want the option to lower and raise our own attack times to screw over our enemies in war but not let others do it to us.

Monsters

#MONSTERS

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrinky View Post
    No. There are people who can only play at certain times of the day. If you add fog, it would make their armies return much later than what they expected and that could be at an inconvenient time for them. Ultimately if people find that their armies keep returning at inconvenient times for them, why would they even want to continue playing this game?
    I could name a 100 things that put newer younger people from continuing to play this game, namely bullying and general nastiness in game play, but that's another debate for another thread.

My point being that longer attack times being the only reason to out right scrap the idea of bringing back fog spell isn't necessarily a good enough reason, this whole game is about tactics, as mentioned MV the fog away if you think a prov has it, or choose another target...it makes the game more strategic and avian/tacticians have to think twice before attacking someone, so what if army arrives later than expected, that's the point to mess with attack times and make people rethink their strategy.

If people can't handle a few hours skew on their attack time and quit the game, sounds rather petty.

I still think the idea has merit but I guess it doesn't have enough support which is a shame.

Dwarf got screwed by only being left with MA, kind of a weak 1 off spell and warriors got a worse deal with no spell at all, hence why I suggested this also thought it was time there was a way to frustrate very fast attackers a little and make them rethink before attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by LoRD_SaMPuaN View Post
    why not bring it back with a different effect? i think more specific spells for races, the better.. increased attack time is obviously not an option, but it could be reduced gains or increased losses for the attacker which both makes sense from 'fog' perspective..
    But if you're dead against a time delay maybe consider a military penalty instead? As suggested above. eg X% of your soldiers got lost coming home and are never seen again! :)
    Last edited by Wolfric; 07-04-2017 at 16:44.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder TA View Post
    They could like we did and vortex people who might have had it cast or hit someone who didnt have it. Lord forbid inconvenience people playing a game. But it will never come back tho,Its not politically correct to make things difficult for people at times like it used to be .
    We want the option to lower and raise our own attack times to screw over our enemies in war but not let others do it to us.
    Timing is a fundamental part of the game. Being able to adjust your timing (at large cost) allows people to hold jobs. For people that don't work jobs that allow them to play from work, making a hit only to find out that your troops are in fact going to be back 1 hour after you start your shift is game breaking. It's not just an inconvenience, it creates an opportunity for the enemy to completely take an attacker out of the war and have their entire military desert - all at the cost of what, 2k runes? This is game breaking and not OK. If you want to ruin the game for most players and cause them to quit - this would be a great idea. Otherwise it's a terrible decision, and Bishop is absolutely on point.

And I'm not speaking for myself here. I work in IT, and have few restrictions. It's actually easier for me to play during the week than the weekends -- so I'd be able to abuse the hell out of fog. But the fact that it would be so abuse-able is the issue at hand.

THAT SAID

It could be modified to make it work. It would require a change to how the War Room page is coded, but if you selected a province that had Fog active and the return time shown to you was representative of the delayed time then it wouldn't affect schedules at all. It would simply work as a defense mechanism while removing the surprise element. Equate this to a province covered in fog, and the attackers can see the fog from a distance - making them a bit more apprehensive about making a move on said province. Food for thought.

Forum Fanatic
    Fog isnt game breaking,Wasnt in the many many years we had it . It only became a issue when people a few began to complain it bothered them for a hour or 2. Id suspect 99% of the people who play this sit either in front of a computer most of the day or on a smart phone. Id also bet that they are on their phone most of the day anyway if they were honest about texting or on the net.
    Fog didnt drive people from the game before.
    Text based game to a new generation did,
    bad programming and weak changes did.
    No advertising to bring in new people also helped with no income flow that allowed it.

Fog was easy to get around when it was employed,only people who didnt expect it got hit with it.Sometimes you have to put blame on the players for things that happen to them and not just game mechanics.

Making the game simpler for a few isnt doing them a huge favor. Either way tho it wont come back because a handful didnt like it when it messed up their chain waves.

Monsters

#MONSTERS

Post Fiend
    Fog isnt game breaking,Wasnt in the many many years we had it . It only became a issue when people a few began to complain it bothered them for a hour or 2. Id suspect 99% of the people who play this sit either in front of a computer most of the day or on a smart phone. Id also bet that they are on their phone most of the day anyway if they were honest about texting or on the net.
    No advertising to bring in new people also helped with no income flow that allowed it.

Fog was easy to get around when it was employed,only people who didnt expect it got hit with it.Sometimes you have to put blame on the players for things that happen to them and not just game mechanics.

Making the game simpler for a few isnt doing them a huge favor. Either way tho it wont come back because a handful didnt like it when it messed up their chain waves.
    This!

Very eloquent and to the point. Besides, this is a war game and usually war doesn't cater to anyone's schedule. Having perfectly synchronized chains is not a good enough reason to eliminate spells that disrupt timing.

This is of course true but I still agree with Bishop that it'd be a bad mechanism to reintroduce, sometimes you can't get your TM's online etc to MV that fog. Utopia needs to be made to cater more to casual players to stay alive not less, therefore reintroducing the fog of old is a bad idea.

I however don't mind reintroducing Fog as say -25% gains & +25-50% casualties on all attacks against that prov while Fog is up, you don't **** over people's timing but you still incentivize kd's to avoid hitting into fog.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Post Fiend

Fog did screw up schedules in the many years that had it. I was around then as well.
    No, there are in fact a lot of people here that don't have 24/7 access. People do have jobs, lots of them don't have IT jobs, and lots of them may not have the time or be allowed to be on their phone when they're at said jobs.

Doing this would be catering to the group that can access 24/7 (Which already gives them a huge advantage in the game) and skull****s those who can't. This is regressive. You might say it didn't drive people away...and you may or may not be wrong in your guess (Not backed by any sort of stats)...but that doesn't change the fact that the game is lacking in players. Alienating the players that actually do need to schedule things out is not good for the game, and never will be.

Thread Information