Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Marine Le Pen Vs. Emmanuel Macron

  1. #31
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    Brexit happened, not really because of the silent embarrased people but because of the lazy couch surfer people. The voter turnout was very low, most likely because everybody kept chanting about how bremain would win with a humge margin, so the huge margin stayed home that day, because "It doesn't matter if it wins by 51% or 95% and I have better things to do".

    Hopefully the French learned from that.
    Not voting is a statement as well. Since there is a lot of people that dont like neither Macron or LePen.


    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Yes... lol
    And a lot of europeans speak german.. and russian, handofthrawn was correct!!! :o

  2. #32
    Post Demon Elldallan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Not voting is a statement as well. Since there is a lot of people that dont like neither Macron or LePen.
    No it's not, it's pure laziness. Going to the polling station and turning in a blank vote is a statement, not going to the polling station at all is just laziness.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #33
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    No it's not, it's pure laziness. Going to the polling station and turning in a blank vote is a statement, not going to the polling station at all is just laziness.
    I like it when people enforce their own beliefs in everybody else. "THIS IS WHAT I THINK SO IT MUST BE SO!"

  4. #34
    Post Demon Elldallan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    I like it when people enforce their own beliefs in everybody else. "THIS IS WHAT I THINK SO IT MUST BE SO!"
    Uhm no. For something to be a statement, or at least a meaningful statement it has to be distinguishable. If it fails to be distinguishable it's meaningless.
    Because there is a third option(blank vote) you cannot reasonably claim to care if you are too lazy to go out and use that option to show that you find neither of the two candidates appealing.

    Thus it's not my opinion but an objective fact, because as there explicitly exists an option for showing that you care but find either opponent unappealing. So not using using that option means you're too lazy to bother to go vote, and therefore not standing up and voicing your opinion that you find none of the candidates to be appealing. Unless of course you're willing but unable to go vote but with mail votes and early votes etc that's increasingly less of a plausible reason.

    Now if voting blank wasn't an option(as for example there doesn't seem to be(to my knowledge) in the US presidential election) then not voting of course becomes more of a statement.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #35
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    Because there is a third option(blank vote) you cannot reasonably claim to care if you are too lazy to go out and use that option to show that you find neither of the two candidates appealing.
    You can absolutely claim to care if you fail to show up and cast a blank ballot. This is such a ridiculous stance. All you have to be is a person that's more concerned about the end result more than anything.

    You can either
    1. Spend your time going to a polling place, wait in line, and literally cast no vote
    Or
    2. You can spend your time doing something productive or at the very least something you'd rather be doing and have the exact same vote be cast.

    It's cool if you prefer going and casting a blank vote personally and advise others do so, but suggesting that it's a fact that the only reason a person doesn't vote is laziness is just silly.

  6. #36
    Post Demon Elldallan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    You can absolutely claim to care if you fail to show up and cast a blank ballot. This is such a ridiculous stance. All you have to be is a person that's more concerned about the end result more than anything.

    You can either
    1. Spend your time going to a polling place, wait in line, and literally cast no vote
    Or
    2. You can spend your time doing something productive or at the very least something you'd rather be doing and have the exact same vote be cast.

    It's cool if you prefer going and casting a blank vote personally and advise others do so, but suggesting that it's a fact that the only reason a person doesn't vote is laziness is just silly.
    I disagree, because if you care about the end result then you should do 1, because then you're actually sending a message which affects the end result.
    It was perhaps it was bad of me to equate not caring with laziness. But the fact of the matter is that if you were eligible to vote and chose not to then you didn't think that it was valuable enough to spend your time on, hence you didn't care enough.

    Casting a blank vote is more than casting no vote as blank votes are tallied and present in statistics etc, if 15% of the population votes blank then that'd send a message that something is wrong, if those 15% just don't go and vote then everybody will assume them to simply be "disinterested" and therefore draw no meaningful conclusions from it. And in the end the fact of the matter is, that for whatever reason you didn't care enough. You can't spin it any other way.

    But perhaps I'm spoiled to live in a country where voting always takes place on a holiday, the polling station has always been situated less than a 15-25 minute walk from where I live, and it literally has never taken me more than 20 minutes at the polling station to get in, collect my ballots, cast my vote and be out of there. So I've never felt that the short time I've had to invest to vote was all that significant. I'm honest enough to say that I can't promise that my choice would be the same if I had to stand in line for 3 hours on a workday just to cast my vote.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  7. #37
    Post Fiend brandonc204's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Well getting your emails leaked 4 minutes before a legal political blackout will certainly do some damage.

    Hard to imagine that another nationalist candidate with ties to Russia who has nothing but good things to say about Putin suddenly had their opposition get hacked.
    \_(ツ)_/
    Not to get on a wildly tangential topic, but my email is an extremely mundane/boring read. Some may think that politicians live comparatively scandalous lives, but I'm willing to be their emails aren't much more interesting than mine.

    :D

  8. #38
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,238
    None of the email hacks are ever brimming with scandalous emails. But if you give them to a bunch of morons with an agenda, that can spin anything to be as scandalous as they want.

    A prime example, in one email, he instructed an assistant to "buy some c..." and naturally t_d on Reddit took it as definitive proof that he was a cocaine addict.

  9. #39
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    94
    A blank vote and abstaining to vote has the same results, people just arent interested enough to fufil their civic duty whatever the rationale is. Saves times and transportation fees so on one hand so...

    The emails seemed to suggest outside interferrence in the elections, my guess is that its a smokescreen for some other agenda, particularly what i cannot say.

  10. #40
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    747
    France is a very nice place that I was able to visit a few times. On their current path they will become the next Egypt. What's really sad once Muslims become the majority they will do away with alcohol. Which means no more French wine. :(

  11. #41
    Dear Friend Korp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    Uhm no. For something to be a statement, or at least a meaningful statement it has to be distinguishable. If it fails to be distinguishable it's meaningless.
    Because there is a third option(blank vote) you cannot reasonably claim to care if you are too lazy to go out and use that option to show that you find neither of the two candidates appealing.

    Thus it's not my opinion but an objective fact, because as there explicitly exists an option for showing that you care but find either opponent unappealing. So not using using that option means you're too lazy to bother to go vote, and therefore not standing up and voicing your opinion that you find none of the candidates to be appealing. Unless of course you're willing but unable to go vote but with mail votes and early votes etc that's increasingly less of a plausible reason.

    Now if voting blank wasn't an option(as for example there doesn't seem to be(to my knowledge) in the US presidential election) then not voting of course becomes more of a statement.
    Not showing isnt distinguishable? Them being lazy is your opinion since you dont know any of the reasons. You are still stuck in your own box where you assume your picture of the world is the only relevant one.

  12. #42
    Postaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    synchronicity wave.
    Posts
    949
    On a random fly by, but peeps might wanna reread what Strat0 just said in terms of social democracy and why it matters.

  13. #43
    Postaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    synchronicity wave.
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by handofthrawn View Post
    France is a very nice place that I was able to visit a few times. On their current path they will become the next Egypt. What's really sad once Muslims become the majority they will do away with alcohol. Which means no more French wine. :(
    Possibly. They may.

    That's one of the consequences of liberalism. That you have to fight for it and accept that greed ****s everyone in the end. :P

  14. #44
    Postaholic
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    synchronicity wave.
    Posts
    949
    I would point out though, that I ****en despise you as a bigoted piece of shit.

  15. #45
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,238
    Let's play nice.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •