Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mentor Provinces

Regular
    I'm looking forward to how this idea is implemented, as it's very needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Snowstorm View Post
    I don't know who you ghetto noobs are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for free acres, I can tell you I don't have any for you... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for noobs like you. If you CF now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will razekill you.

Scribe
    You know, I feel stupid for not thinking of this concept during all those ages. So thumbs up for the principle.

As easiest method to implement the mentor function I would like to suggest a kingdom ghost.
    Meaning: you can read & post on (war)forums, msg the provinces in your mentor kingdom (no other kds), and write in kd chat.
    Additionally, but this is risky, you could get you can get a 75% accurate SoT/Survey etc of each province once a day. (make sure all data has this 75% randomness factor in it, including SoS and survey). Or cloud data so you only get a rough idea. Also hide the 3 resources from that info. Make negative spells visible, without duration indication. Hide mana& stealth.
    Basically show some rough info so you can nudge a person away from silly mistakes like running 0% farms as human or 20% as undead, but lack info to abuse it for things like learns and plunders.

Scribe
    There are some good ideas in here, but the majority of y'all including the devs have trust issues.

If, when talking about a mentor, your first thought is abuse...you should probably not be a mentor. Seriously, this is the game. How hard can it be to find someone with basic game knowledge, able to help out a beginner, that doesn't think about personal gain? What do or can you actually gain? an imaginary crown?

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    There are some good ideas in here, but the majority of y'all including the devs have trust issues.

If, when talking about a mentor, your first thought is abuse...you should probably not be a mentor. Seriously, this is the game. How hard can it be to find someone with basic game knowledge, able to help out a beginner, that doesn't think about personal gain? What do or can you actually gain? an imaginary crown?
    I have just seen too many people cheat and abuse the game over the years. So yes trust issues, not because I want to cheat but because I have seen so many other cheat.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
    I have just seen too many people cheat and abuse the game over the years. So yes trust issues, not because I want to cheat but because I have seen so many other cheat.
    I absolutely understand that caution is warranted. But I'd place the effort into the selection of mentors rather than a bunch of mechanical hoopla.
    If you can't trust someone not to cheat they shouldn't be a mentor, because if they are willing to cheat they will find a way regardless of which safeguards you put in place.

a) don't pick people that are playing competitively, for one they don't really have the time and they are the only ones that could possibly gain anything
    b)don't pick new players, they lack the knowledge and you can't be sure if they are possibly multies
    c)don't pick people that have the tendency to be rude or patronizing, they would scare new players off

Scribe
    in that case sure :)

Veteran
    Genesis!
    Quote Originally Posted by vines View Post
    You just got owned again. When will you learn fool. I'm just on a different level.

Post Fiend
    I dont think the implementation has to be nuanced, but its gonna have to take people who are willing to put in effort, to help others, without reaping any rewards at all.

My suggestion would be, to have a "province assigned" as mentor, but that province would be stripped of normal abilities, other than being there as a help.. That way, you would remove the possability of anyone abusing the system.

As many kd's will not be needing mentor's it should be something that people should apply for, and there could be some kind of election system to being a mentor.

AS I have seen a notice asking for people to volunteer as mentors...
    Firstly THANK YOU to the owners for taking this onbaord
    Secondly I thought I would bump this thread back up so that people can discuss / volunteer etc.

As I raised the idea I will be putting my hand up - are there others?
    Laughter IS the best medicine - always

Post Fiend
    "If you can't trust someone not to cheat they shouldn't be a mentor, because if they are willing to cheat they will find a way regardless of which safeguards you put in place."

I'm confused, are you saying that those of us willing to face human nature for what it is are in fact the only ones affected by it?

While those who are naive enough to believe in altruism should be allowed to be preyed upon by those who take the opportunities created by that false belief?

So you will put your faith in cheats, as long as they are also liars?

But the honest cheats, cast them aside. Deplorable bunch.

So from my experience the best way to combat cheating, or in this particular instance I would classify it as corruption, is to make it public and documented. Considering that these mentors know what they are doing and paired off with the fact that, at the end of the day, the core mechanics of this game do not change age by age why not set up a tutorial leauge where certain mentored KD's fight other mentored KDs. Then, say, every week these mentors talk about what they did with perhaps cetain emphasis on topics per week. This not only gives insight to each particular province in its relation to the KD, it also gives potential monarchs insight on how to manage such a KD. Most importantly this gives artefacts that can be referenced in the months/years after. (bla bla bla teach a man to fish bla bla)
    Last edited by ThreeTen; 18-01-2018 at 07:54.

Thread Information