Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The New Guide - Are you kidding

Regular
    The UX/UI design is going to get a facelift.

I'm currently volunteering my time after work to build a mobile responsive design that functions and will look great. It will take me some time because I can only work at it at home with my downtime. I look to bring this game into the 21st century by starting with the guide. Once we can nail down a good theme, and design for the guide we can expand that further out to possibly the public facing website, and then even deeper, the game itself.

I'm a long time player who has recently come back and I want to keep that nostalgia at the same time moving design and functionality forward. This will be an ongoing project with feedback and support required from the community.

If there are any other front-end devs here on the forum who would like to help out or bounce ideas off of, please PM me so we can work together to get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulate View Post
    The UX/UI design is going to get a facelift.

If there are any other front-end devs here on the forum who would like to help out or bounce ideas off of, please PM me so we can work together to get this done.
    Ill gladly contribute. ill pm you right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Smerjcd it's Okey to have negative criticism as wełl. That's how you improve things. Besides there never was 100k players maybe 70-80k provs spread over two servers.
    if you read like 2 posts above you'll notice my negative criticism as well = constructive
    unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to provide specific and detailed solutions, so I usually don't even criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by smercjd View Post
    if you read like 2 posts above you'll notice my negative criticism as well = constructive
    unfortunately I'm not tech savvy enough to provide specific and detailed solutions, so I usually don't even criticize.
    Your first post.

As for the couple comments I saw negatively...wow that is some obtuse thinking, lacking vision, and selfish.

Scribe
    we now have an artist :) eagerly awaiting first sketches soon.
    the design team is hard at work redoing..well everything and adding(?) a bootstrap whatever that is but it sounds like a good thing (you can tell i am not on the design team or anything technical i am sure lol)

keep the suggestions and offers to help coming! we want moar!

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    Your first post.
    can we please just once have a constructive thread that stays on subject/task? Reading what people like is just as important as reading what people don't like.

Postaholic
    Can we have a direct link to Utopia in the guide?

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Panthira View Post
    Can we have a direct link to Utopia in the guide?
    I am sure Sassy, Regulate, Chadde and Kilim can figure something out...right?!
    I'll put it on the list

Regular
    If I was the utop lords id be like WHEW....just a complaint about the numbers....(no need for fancy formulas the old players know these things and have utop wik)

I see no numbers at growth, a new player wouldnt need all that anyways? to a newbee might wanna note to have enough farms though.
    Hmmf maybe a litle button: specific functioning under those buildings though haha

And I like cartoony pictures over real life pictures.

I like the RED and the pictures in the dragon section are really nice. But some pictures are too big and dominant like the first on the millitary section. More emphasis on the text
    Last edited by erm; 05-05-2017 at 09:52.

Scribe
    Daphne has been hard at work on the art front. Eventually we can hopefully replace all the pictures with original art work...but with art you can choose quick and crappy or slow and beautiful...choosing slow on this one.

P.S. we would love some more original uto art if anyone wants to make some

The new navigation and framework is approaching final stages and I think we incorporated most all of the suggestions made. Looks pretty snazzy already

Currently fine tuning textures, colors, fonts etc While caff is hard at work editing and proof reading for the umpteen bazillionst time The rest of us are making the designer's lives hell by nagging about every little detail pretty much and adding missing content or fixing inaccuracies we find along the way.

on/off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Can confirm that I can not ban them.
    We have added a new reCAPTCHA feature to the Log-In and Sign-Up pages.

As its an added feature its almost on Topic. I play at home/work only. Is this "which frame has a mountain" hard on cel phones?

Is it meant to reduce the number of start ups who never log a second time?

@Goodwich: can we please just once have a constructive thread that stays on subject/task?
    ahh,NO. This the interweb, aka flamers grief heaven.
    The new guide is awomesauce. Pretty, informative, useful. I had the wiki bookmarked and the log page so I did not even notice no link at launch.
    Last edited by kendy; 04-05-2017 at 15:28. Reason: got salsa on my shirt

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by kendy View Post
    We have added a new reCAPTCHA feature to the Log-In and Sign-Up pages.

As its an added feature its almost on Topic. I play at home/work only. Is this "which frame has a mountain" hard on cel phones?

Is it meant to reduce the number of start ups who never log a second time?
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...ture-at-log-in

they are discussing this there...guide team has no influence on the captcha

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Thank you for your kind words and appreciation for all the hard work and dedication that several passionate Utopians have put into creating the new Utopia Guide. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication and when the new guide was deployed there was no Wiki link generated. The new home page code should go live in a few hours that will allow you to have a direct link to the Wiki that will continue to have all the user generated numbers and formulas to help you with your gameplay.

You seem to forget that this is a game of fantasy. This guide, although still a work in progress, is intended for new players to read and engage themselves into the fantasy world of Utopia, not be drowned by numbers they don't understand.

While the numbers are useful for most everyone that is playing the game currently, we would like to direct our new players to something useful and engaging to them that we hope will intrigue their interest to continue playing. As players become more experienced and look for numbers and formulas they will be able to find the wiki and understand how to navigate through it.

EDIT: I apologize, I forgot to mention the wiki was never taken down only that the links were not directing to it and a dedicated link was not created. You can still find the wiki here
    This reply is everything that is broken within the game. Too much sarcasm and egos.

While I am sure the community can appreciate how much time was taken to write the guide, it is now full of useless information. It has 0 formulas. The thing that makes this game appeal to people is the complexity of the forumlas (which have been dumbed down every age for as long as I can remember). The new "guide" is a huge disappointment in my opinion
    F R E E A K S T Y L E
    -swoop-

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by maccar86 View Post
    While I am sure the community can appreciate how much time was taken to write the guide, it is now full of useless information. It has 0 formulas. The thing that makes this game appeal to people is the complexity of the forumlas (which have been dumbed down every age for as long as I can remember). The new "guide" is a huge disappointment in my opinion
    Hi Maccar86, so let me once more emphasize on how the new structure will be soon in terms of guides (yes plural)
    1) Video tutorials for total newbies per page showing what does what etc.
    2) Guide Rough information highlighting the fantasy lore aspect while providing information of what does what.
    3) Wiki For the advanced users, containing numbers and formulas.

Now as a long term player formulas is what makes it fun, as initial user it scares you off. We had enough newbies who already hated the part of calculating an ambush or an attack at first. They just want to know how do I smash someone. Then the reply should be: take a spy on military, go to warroom, meddle with your numbers till you hit 104%. Select your attack type and you can go and smash.

Not: Send 10% of your thieves for a 100% accurate Spy on military, then divide that defense by 1.04 and start calculating the troops you need to break that with specs being 6 points(or 7 or 8 in some cases, wait whats your race again?), elites being the first value shown and horses are 2 points. Dont forget 1 prisoner per 5 troops at most so calculate that as well.

And thats for something simple as attacking, let alone prov building %, desertions, chained, kd interaction etc.

The quick adepts who join can always directly jump to the wiki.

Oh and a personal question: Mind telling me which formulas got dumbed down? Back when i started KD NW didnt matter for gains, we had no honor, less modifiers in general. Population was far more straight foward to calc etc. Dragons all had the same cost and health. So really where did it got dumbed down (off topic though so feel free to continue in PM)

Quote Originally Posted by maccar86 View Post
    This reply is everything that is broken within the game. Too much sarcasm and egos.

Why not use the wiki for the formulas? Just a crazy wild idea. You seem to think the guide for people that already know the game but it's not it's for new people.

nice work

some suggestions:
    - let new players know it's ok to draft 60% or higher. It's a bit unrealistic so few will figure that out on their own
    - let new players know it's ok to have BE drop below 100%
    This is my province. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My province is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
    My province, without me, is useless. Without my province, I am useless.
    I must attack hard with my province. I must attack harder than my enemy who is trying to pk me. I must pk him before he pk's me. I will...

Thread Information