Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Term Interpretation Consultancy

Bart agreed to not compete with ASF for the #1 land province. Bart is currently competing against ASF. Thus, he is in breach.
    Not seeing it. His kingdom isn't competing for #1 land as he isn't #1 land. He'd only be in breach if, upon the age finishing, provinces from 8:9 were the only ones larger than the biggest province in 8:13.

Whether or not someone is or isn't a scumbag has no bearing on whether or not an agreement between two bodies is being violated. If Bart wants to dealbreak ASF for the stuff he pulled earlier, then say you're dealbreaking him for the stuff he pulled earlier.
    But that is the kicker: Nobody in the top believes that such an action constitutes a DB. If ASF can coordinate a GB on a kingdom he has a CF with in order to assist him in beating that KD later or avoiding a fight at all, I think that SHOULD count as a DB. Just as policing a KD you have a CF with is still a DB (so Bart did DB CR last age).

As it stands, Bart is honouring the letter of his agreement with ASF and nobody but me as ever voiced the opinion that the actions Bart is currently alleged to be participating in constitute a DB. Since this particular case involves ASF, who undertook what are in my view identical actions to those of Bart not even 2 weeks prior, I see absolutely no ground you or your homoerotic friends can stand on to claim Bart is in violation.

LOL so Bart staying JUST behind the no1 prov hoping he can have someone else hit it last minute of the age givining him prov land crown ist competing? You "dont see it" as you replied to Palem?

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    He'd only be in breach if, upon the age finishing, provinces from 8:9 were the only ones larger than the biggest province in 8:13.
    So in your words "trying" isnt competing? You only compete if you actually win, not if you try to win? Interesting view on the term "competing"
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Bart agreed to not compete with ASF for the #1 land province. Bart is currently competing against ASF. Thus, he is in breach.
    Bart agreed that 8:9 can't prov crown over ASF. Bart can compete with ASF however else he wants to.
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Quote Originally Posted by Shai View Post
    LOL so Bart staying JUST behind the no1 prov hoping he can have someone else hit it last minute of the age givining him prov land crown ist competing? You "dont see it" as you replied to Palem?

So in your words "trying" isnt competing? You only compete if you actually win, not if you try to win? Interesting view on the term "competing"
    If Bart were not allowed to crown at all, or be in a position were a crown were attainable, then you should have secured those terms in your CF. You did not. Bart is free to play for #2 to his heart's content according to your deal. He would only be in violation if the only provinces separating 8:13 from #1 at EoA were those in 8:9. As it stands it is impossible to claim he is in violation of terms.

I like to post
    People be dumb. When I signed the noncompete with ED 7 ages ago they also didnt prevent me to become #2, hell we had to intra off some honor just before EOA to make it happen. No one said we were competing for the honor crown.

Same situation here. The terms were specifically signed in this way because I told ASF I wasnt gonna non-compete if he wasnt in a position to crown anyways.

You think if a KD signs a noncompete with Em, and then Em drops out of the race, they now cant compete with BB when they have no such terms with them?

I can do whatever the F I want as long as I dun bream these terms. Anyways, I do not intend to hit or send people on ASF, not even active enuf for that.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Shai View Post

you said it yourself , he trying to stay just behind asf...as long as he does not pass him he is honoring the agreement. if however asf drops to 3rd, bart can then try for #!

stupid agreement, and definitely not in the spirit of the game. If we keep allowing chart shaping the game really does have no future.
    picture a new player coming to the forum to look around and finding out how ranks are decided in utopia...
    it was bad enough when all this crap happened behind closed doors, dragging it into the public makes it worse.
    having an admin involved in it is detrimental (and I may be one of the few that doesn't have any beef with either parties involved)

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    His kingdom isn't competing for #1 land as he isn't #1 land.
    Wut?
    You think that at any given moment of an age there is exactly 1 kingdom/prov that is competing for that chart spot, namely the kingdom ranked #1?

That's not what competing is. The words your thinking of are leading and winning.

He'd only be in breach if, upon the age finishing, provinces from 8:9 were the only ones larger than the biggest province in 8:13.
    I'll just say again, thats called winning, not competing. Competition takes place over time as two or more participants compete for the same goal.

As it stands, Bart is honouring the letter of his agreement with ASF and nobody but me as ever voiced the opinion that the actions Bart is currently alleged to be participating in constitute a DB.
    You mean other than the people in this thread voicing their opinions that Bart is breaking his deal...?

You're spewing so much hatred that I think your brain has either shut down or entered low power mode...

How does making it public make it worse Goodwitch?
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Wut?
    You think that at any given moment of an age there is exactly 1 kingdom/prov that is competing for that chart spot, namely the kingdom ranked #1?

That's not what competing is. The words your thinking of are leading and winning.

I'll just say again, thats called winning, not competing. Competition takes place over time as two or more participants compete for the same goal.

You mean other than the people in this thread voicing their opinions that Bart is breaking his deal...?

You're spewing so much hatred that I think your brain has either shut down or entered low power mode...
    Re-read the first post of this thread. Take it slow. Grab a dictionary.

Bart isn't barred from competing, only competing against 8:13. Which means he can not win if 8:13 is charted directly beneath him.

If he were competing against 8:13, he would be #1 now, or maybe he will finish #1. That would be against the terms of their agreement. But you can't accuse him of breaking the terms in advance of EoA just because you feel like it.
    The only people speaking out against Bart play in 8:13, including yourself, for all any of us know.

ASF should have gotten a deal that said Bart can not crown under any circumstance, rather than just that he can't compete with 8:13. The definition of 'compete' is anything but nailed down.

And regarding the members of 8:13 (and yourself) alleging that Bart is conspiring against them and that it constitutes a DB, their opinions might hold water if they weren't a spontaneous and self-serving pivot on their prior stance (literally two weeks ago).

3. 8:9 will not compete for #1 land on individual prov charts with 8:13
    Merriam-Webster defines to compete as follows: to strive consciously or unconsciously for an objective (such as position, profit, or a prize).
    Oxford defines it as this: Strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others.

So if Bart is actively scheming to dethrone ASF from #1 then he is competing with ASF and thus in breach of the deal because he is striving for an objective that is prohibited by said deal

But that is the kicker: Nobody in the top believes that such an action constitutes a DB. If ASF can coordinate a GB on a kingdom he has a CF with in order to assist him in beating that KD later or avoiding a fight at all, I think that SHOULD count as a DB. Just as policing a KD you have a CF with is still a DB (so Bart did DB CR last age).

As it stands, Bart is honouring the letter of his agreement with ASF and nobody but me as ever voiced the opinion that the actions Bart is currently alleged to be participating in constitute a DB. Since this particular case involves ASF, who undertook what are in my view identical actions to those of Bart not even 2 weeks prior, I see absolutely no ground you or your homoerotic friends can stand on to claim Bart is in violation.
    If Bart is actively trying to dethrone ASF by any means, then he is competing and thus in breach of the deal, aka dealbreaking and therefore GBing Bart is justified. Competing doesn't necessitate that you dethrone ASF first, you merely need to be and I paraphrase the dictionary here "consciously or unconsciously striving for an objective" and if that object is to dethrone ASF by any mean(it doesn't have to be in direct opposition, indirect will do) then Bart is dealbreaking, he doesn't need to have established dominance already.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    Merriam-Webster defines to compete as follows: to strive consciously or unconsciously for an objective (such as position, profit, or a prize).
    Oxford defines it as this: Strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others.

So if Bart is actively scheming to dethrone ASF from #1 then he is competing with ASF and thus in breach of the deal because he is striving for an objective that is prohibited by said deal

If Bart is actively trying to dethrone ASF by any means, then he is competing and thus in breach of the deal, aka dealbreaking and therefore GBing Bart is justified. Competing doesn't necessitate that you dethrone ASF first, you merely need to be and I paraphrase the dictionary here "consciously or unconsciously striving for an objective" and if that object is to dethrone ASF by any mean(it doesn't have to be in direct opposition, indirect will do) then Bart is dealbreaking, he doesn't need to have established dominance already.
    Yup. Plenty of people compete without winning. Based off what Bart had posted here as his intent then he is clearly competing for the top spot and is therefore in breach of the agreement.

I like to post
    I expected better than sexism from you Palem. Is it really necessary to "dominate" in here making use of your masculinity? I'd say the forum mod team is in need of some diversity in the sexes. I vote for Mirana!

On the public v private: I continuously try to make as much of this **** public as possible, so that perhaps one day we can eradicate it. I did not choose to play the game this way, I was forced into it about 6-7 ages ago. Now I play the game according to their rules, apart from the secrecy aspects!

Is Palem really playing in the forum-mod KD alongside ASF?

I'd also like to say that I am not currently scheming to pass ASF. I merely stated that I could if I wanted. Seems people are trying to find reasons to invade my underdefended province :(

Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post

Bart has stated he is not plotting to dethrone ASF. Bart has, as of yet, not won the Age 71 province land crown.

And again, I would contend, echoing back to a previous post of mine, that to compete would require an concerted in-game effort by 8:9. No such effort is being undertaken (Bart is not farming acres from other banks, nor is he knocking down farm wars). The actions of 3rd parties can't be said to factor into the agreement, and no verifiable proof can be (or has been thus far) presented to suggest Bart is in fact conspiring against 8:13. It's Bart's word against unsubstantiated hearsay.

And again, Bart is not barred from competing. Just with ASF and thus only for so long as ASF has the opportunity to crown. If ASF's opportunity passes, Bart is in the clear.

And again, I do not believe that precedent set in previous situations allows for any conspiratorial activity by Bart to be considered a DB. Bart is free to take any effort he pleases to stop ASF from crowning as long as those efforts occur outside of the sphere of his in-game actions. If he were to benefit from any such conspiracy by virtue of no longer being beholden to clause #3 of his deal with ASF, that would merely be a happy bonus.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    People be dumb. When I signed the noncompete with ED 7 ages ago they also didnt prevent me to become #2, hell we had to intra off some honor just before EOA to make it happen. No one said we were competing for the honor crown.

Same situation here. The terms were specifically signed in this way because I told ASF I wasnt gonna non-compete if he wasnt in a position to crown anyways.

You think if a KD signs a noncompete with Em, and then Em drops out of the race, they now cant compete with BB when they have no such terms with them?

I can do whatever the F I want as long as I dun bream these terms. Anyways, I do not intend to hit or send people on ASF, not even active enuf for that.
    1. People said you weren't competing with ED because you signed a noncompete clause and seemingly had no motivation to break that clause.

This is not the same situation, since you are actively working against the person you agreed to not compete against and have stated that you have the intention to beat them.

2. If say, Emeriti got BB to agree to a noncompete clause and then BB actively took steps try to win out over Emeriti (i.e. competing against them), they would also be in breach of their noncompete clause. However if say the devs deleted Emeriti, then BB working to crown would most definitely not be a breach of their noncompete clause, as they had no part in their downfall and thus were not competing against them.

3. You can actually do whatever the f you want all the time. If you'd like to break your CF with ASF and start an all out war you're free to do so. No one's gonna put you in jail or ban you from the game. However, you started this thread asking for opinions on whether or not terms are being broken and it's of mine and a few others that have voiced it that you are breaching your noncompete clause. Don't ask for opinions if dissenting opinions are going to ruffle your feathers
    Last edited by Palem; 09-05-2017 at 18:52.

2. If say, Emeriti got BB to agree to a noncompete clause and then BB actively took steps try to win out over Emeriti (i.e. competing against them), they would also be in breach of their noncompete clause. However if say the devs deleted Emeriti, then BB working to crown would most definitely not be a breach of their noncompete clause, as they had no part in their downfall and thus were not competing against them.
    So is it then a DB if Kingdom A orchestrates a GB on Kingdom B whom they have A) an EoACF with or B) CF with a notice clause?

Thread Information