Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump brings the US yet another step towards becoming a Bana

Veteran
    Well to be fair without me talking these threads would be extremely one sided and really bare of any discussion. But yeah I agree I grow tired of arguing just to argue. So I will just call it quits in the forum. Good luck to all of you and wish you luck. ;)

Last edited by brandonc204; 05-10-2018 at 16:00.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    The problem with the spin from the right is that democrats aren't upset over the fact that Trump fired Comey. The guy made plenty of mistakes and probably didn't deserve his job. They're upset that Trump fired the guy who is responsible for an ongoing investigation surrounding him.

At best it's a completely unprofessional and untimely decision. At worst it's an incredibly obvious cover up attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    The problem with the spin from the right is that democrats aren't upset over the fact that Trump fired Comey. The guy made plenty of mistakes and probably didn't deserve his job. They're upset that Trump fired the guy who is responsible for an ongoing investigation surrounding him.

At best it's a completely unprofessional and untimely decision. At worst it's an incredibly obvious cover up attempt.
    As Trump basically admitted that he did it "over the Russia thing" thing it's obstruction of justice pure and simple, Trump basically admitted that he did it with criminal intent. If the Republitards still refuse to appoint a truly independent investigator on the matter then this is worse than Watergate.

Just look at Trump now trying to appoint a partisan political hack as FBI Director.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Enthusiast
    I find it extremely scary the fact the media is out there making stuff up. It's incredible and going to end up being the little boy who cried wolf. Just this week alone they have pushed completely far fetched stories with zero evidence. Personally I stopped listening all together to any media outlet.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    What stories have their pushed with zero evidence?

Edit: also, welcome back handofthrawn. Your alternative name is more fitting imo
    Last edited by Palem; 17-05-2017 at 21:30.

Enthusiast
    What stories have their pushed with zero evidence?

Edit: also, welcome back handofthrawn. Your alternative name is more fitting imo
    Handofthrawn is my brother, meh I don't follow politics like he does though. I just see all these crazy things flung out there. Then they retract them a day later. Just to throw more stuff out there to retract them.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    What's been retracted?

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by handofthrawn View Post
    Maybe it's because without zero evidence of any wrong doing on Trumps part the investigation is still going on?
    So Trump keeps saying. But the reality is that the general public - and likely Trump himself - doesn't know what the FBI has or doesn't have.

And, more importantly, it is REALLY not the place of the *subjects* of an investigation to say to law enforcement, "Nothing to see here, move along."

If Comey were on a wild goose chase or fishing trip with no basis, because of a political axe to grind, then that would be something for the Deputy AG to take issue with. And *that* is a notable absence in the Deputy AG's memorandum - there's no contention, by the senior Justice Department official overseeing the matter - that there's something improper in the pursuit of the investigation. (Quite the contrary, the Deputy AG has now appointed independent counsel. Of course, this isn't a finding of guilt, but it's certainly an admission that "This is a matter worth investigating.")

Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    As Trump basically admitted that he did it "over the Russia thing" thing it's obstruction of justice pure and simple, Trump basically admitted that he did it with criminal intent.
    The truth is that I don't think we can put it *quite* that strongly. There are possible innocent characterizations for Trump's language. In the interview, he talked about what he was thinking about, but not so much 'why'. I could easily make the argument that he was acknowledging that there just wasn't a good time to do it, because of the Russia investigation, but that he rationalized making the call *despite* the Russia investigation because there was nothing to that anyways...

...not that I believe that for a second, but it's perfectly consistent with Trump's language. My point is just that I don't think we have a smoking gun, and there's a lot more work to be done before we can say that he's done. Besides, if he's actually trying to bury the investigation, I'd MUCH rather get him on the crap he's trying to hide, rather than merely the fact of trying to hide it.

What's been retracted?
    Let's see, there's the White House's position that the Comey firing was a bottom-up process that started with the Deputy AG...the White House's position that Trump didn't reveal any classified information...the list is long.

Oh, we're talking about media retractions? Well, there's the retraction of the claim that Spicer was hiding "in" the bushes, when in fact he was hiding "among" the bushes...

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    As is the natural laws of the land

White House: "Donald Trump absolutely did not do that!"
    Trump: "I totally did that."
    White House: "This doesn't contradict our previous statement. The media needs to stop this witch hunt!"

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearted View Post
    I find it extremely scary the fact the media is out there making stuff up. It's incredible and going to end up being the little boy who cried wolf. Just this week alone they have pushed completely far fetched stories with zero evidence. Personally I stopped listening all together to any media outlet.
    Here is my problem. Yes there are media outlets that skew coverage to fit their agenda. To hear republicans cry about it astounds me... Fox news, Rush Limbaugh etc etc etc have been doing the same for decades. The liberal media is no more at fault than conservative media.
    The real issue is when the president lies to us. Bald faced lies. This 'fake news media' crap pales in comparison to the utter bull**** being spewed by Trump and his administration.
    Besides, there are still reputable sources for less biased coverage if you look around.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Swirvin'Birds View Post
    Here is my problem. Yes there are media outlets that skew coverage to fit their agenda. To hear republicans cry about it astounds me... Fox news, Rush Limbaugh etc etc etc have been doing the same for decades. The liberal media is no more at fault than conservative media.
    I entirely agree with your post, but I think we're getting to a point where 'everyone has a bias' has turned into a perception that facts, too, have a bias - and, more particularly, a right-wing belief that notions of 'facts' and 'evidence' are just left-wing constructs. If I hold this pen out in front of me, and release it, it will fall. This is a fact. This isn't a projection of political values, a function of ideological bias, etc.

Facts aren't democratic, and you can't effectively run a country on the basis of a belief that they are. When mainstream politicians denigrate the very concept of professional expertise and scientific study as being politically driven...that's a pretty massive problem. But if people believe that facts are subjective, then 'lies', too, become pretty subjective.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    As the saying goes, you're entitled to your own opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Swirvin'Birds View Post
    The real issue is when the president lies to us. Bald faced lies. This 'fake news media' crap pales in comparison to the utter bull**** being spewed by Trump and his administration.
    Besides, there are still reputable sources for less biased coverage if you look around.
    I am not talking about Fox VS MSNBC, but I am talking about what used to be considered unbiased news. Which now push completely far fetched stories with zero evidence and they later retract. Just saying media has went to far and now I would say 40 to 50% of the population will no longer believe anything they will say ever again. That is a scary thought as a whole but the media has went off the deep. My brother has a good tract record when it comes to protecting presidential winners. He said Trump would win hands down and is predicting Trump winning by a larger margin next time. This thing between the media and Trump has gotten personal. Media is out for blood and it's so obvious that anyone can see it. But in doing so they have undermined the credibility of journalism and Media across the USA.
    Last edited by Coldhearted; 27-05-2017 at 05:57.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Again, what has been retracted? I can think of a couple very minor stories that have been retracted.

Thread Information