Thread: Paladin or new spell suggestion

Scribe

Paladin or new spell suggestion

Thinking basic mage ops - gather intel on spells affecting a province. Seems like a good fit for paladin role, low difficulty shows all spells affecting target province (all relations). This is a spell, not thievery. Alternatively make it a spell available to more race / personalities, overall I just think there is little to no effective way on gathering mage intel and I think it being a spell is a good fit similar to how you use thieves to get thief intel.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocke View Post
    Thinking basic mage ops - gather intel on spells affecting a province. Seems like a good fit for paladin role, low difficulty shows all spells affecting target province (all relations). This is a spell, not thievery. Alternatively make it a spell available to more race / personalities, overall I just think there is little to no effective way on gathering mage intel and I think it being a spell is a good fit similar to how you use thieves to get thief intel.
    We've never been able to spy on someones mage list but there have always been ways to at least determine what active spells they have, trying to cast storms/drought on someone with active NB, MV'ing someone and it tells you what spells it has negated.

I think being able to completely spy on their active spells would be bad for the game because it then makes it easier for mages to know what to waste runes/mana on, eg: if they can see you don't have NB active they don't need to MV you.

Scribe
    MV is painfully inefficient (which is why I said little to no way), and the list for what you CANT gather intel on is pretty short. Seems odd that there are a few items you cant get intel on. And to your point on making it easy for mages, my question is why aren't there mage towers (identical to watch tower for spell protection). Why would a mage waste valuable mana on intel gathering? That's for the attackers / hybrids / w/e (or the few paladins if this was a pally only spell) who can afford to waste some mana on the side.

I would be interested to hear from someone with deep game knowledge to explain the difficulties of implementing something as basic as gathering intel on spells affecting a province. Regardless though it's a suggestion for the community / devs to read, their choice to act on it or ignore

MV is painfully inefficient (which is why I said little to no way), and the list for what you CANT gather intel on is pretty short. Seems odd that there are a few items you cant get intel on.
    I agree with Wolfric, being able to easily tell what spell a province has active would be bad for the game because it becomes too easy to find and counter those spells. If you implement it you'd have to make the current counters(MV) even more inefficient(for example significantly lowering the MV chance to kill a spell significantly while also significantly raising the difficulty to the point where the costs would be so prohibitive that you'd only consider MV in the most extreme circumstance.

I would be interested to hear from someone with deep game knowledge to explain the difficulties of implementing something as basic as gathering intel on spells affecting a province. Regardless though it's a suggestion for the community / devs to read, their choice to act on it or ignore
    Mechanically it wouldn't be hard to implement but it really upsets the current balance so you would have to balance it by either making it a mage op and prohibitively difficult(think MS or LL) because if you make it a trivial op for attackers then you really diminish the usefulness of defensive selfspells. Another alternative would be to implement your suggestion and at the same time remove MV which would mean it'd be impossible to counter selfspells but you could detect them so you don't have to find out by having a 16h MS reflected in your face.
    Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Elldallan View Post
    I agree with Wolfric, being able to easily tell what spell a province has active would be bad for the game because it becomes too easy to find and counter those spells. If you implement it you'd have to make the current counters(MV) even more inefficient(for example significantly lowering the MV chance to kill a spell significantly while also significantly raising the difficulty to the point where the costs would be so prohibitive that you'd only consider MV in the most extreme circumstance.

Mechanically it wouldn't be hard to implement but it really upsets the current balance so you would have to balance it by either making it a mage op and prohibitively difficult(think MS or LL) because if you make it a trivial op for attackers then you really diminish the usefulness of defensive selfspells. Another alternative would be to implement your suggestion and at the same time remove MV which would mean it'd be impossible to counter selfspells but you could detect them so you don't have to find out by having a 16h MS reflected in your face.
    Good point about RM, forgot about that spell as this would render this spell redundant if you could see it up!

Thread Information