Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding game depth

Adding game depth

Okay I am a gamer who likes plotlines in my games. With that being said is there an overall plot to Utopia that can be used to maybe used to show the age to age evolution of the game? If so what is it and where can it be found? If not would there be any interest in maybe developing this as a way to in game explain the out of game adjustments that are made to things. Maybe have race or persona related stories that can be used to add depth to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Twistedthor View Post
    Okay I am a gamer who likes plotlines in my games. With that being said is there an overall plot to Utopia that can be used to maybe used to show the age to age evolution of the game? If so what is it and where can it be found? If not would there be any interest in maybe developing this as a way to in game explain the out of game adjustments that are made to things. Maybe have race or persona related stories that can be used to add depth to the game.
    +1

I am really curious about the story and plot of Utopia, since DavidC seemed really intent on relaying just how much the story of Utopia meant to him as part of the gameplay experience.

Case in point to add to my question:

What is the In Character reasoning for the appearance of Dryads and the rise of Paladins for age 72. I would love to be part of developing the lore behind the Utopia game play to add a element of depth to things.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Paladins are pretty simple.

Some dark magic has caused the trees to start killing. Scared and without answers, people turned to their gods to protect them and thus, holy protectors were cast into Utopia

I guess i just see this a chance to expand the Utopia Lore past just the mechanics and numbers in a way that doesn't change the way the game is played,

Administrator
    I really like this idea, it's been on my mind for some time now; developing an actual story that depicts the races and personalities and where their strengths/weaknesses come from. The age themes as Jeff mentioned could play a big part in the development of the story. This has been mentioned by others and it's about time I officially get behind this idea.

I'd be willing to organize a group of people that would be interested in contributing to this. My time is currently split between quite a few projects that are on-going but would be happy to assist and provide some direction towards creating this. I think it has great potential.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

i see it as doing what Magic the Gathering does with each of their new expansions.

You can count me into this

Paging Dr. StratOcastle, paging Dr. StratOcastle.
    You are needed at the front desk
    Snakes
    PewPEW
    Divinity
    Emeriti

Non of my nubs speak for my KD

Oh yeah! Let me and Strato do it. Between the two of us we will have a human ex-calendar-model firefighter who makes cinnamon rolls with his grandmother in her coffee shop fighting off the Orc invaders led by the elf-queen's former fiancee banking executive who is attractive but has lost his way in a three way conflict with the helpful but somehow slightly less loveable and shorter bearded cousin of the tradesman from the next town over as they eat a holiday meal in Ma and Pa's cozy halfling abode under the hill.

I can see it now...
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Administrator
    MTG is exactly what I was thinking as well :P
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Needs to get out more
    I can't think. My guys are destroying the world of inventory at work...or, we might have a dimensional rift because 44 cases of garlic bread materialized out of thin air.

I will reenergize at the Montecristo Lounge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    Oh yeah! Let me and Strato do it. Between the two of us we will have a human ex-calendar-model firefighter who makes cinnamon rolls with his grandmother in her coffee shop fighting off the Orc invaders led by the elf-queen's former fiancee banking executive who is attractive but has lost his way in a three way conflict with the helpful but somehow slightly less loveable and shorter bearded cousin of the tradesman from the next town over as they eat a holiday meal in Ma and Pa's cozy halfling abode under the hill.

I can see it now...
    I dont think the world is ready for one half incoherent ramblings and one part lawyer speak!

Needs to get out more
    A Hallmark Utopia ~ Special Presentation

* The Secret of Nim *

"There might just be more to this sword wielding Santa, as he sets the mingling stance for romance."

Anyways, I think the op has the gumption to take on the task, along with any other enthusiasts. I bow out to those who have a vision to realize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Veteran
    This sounds good. Is there a way it could even be further implemented into the actual gameplay itself...something that gives each age a theme maybe, or even small side-quests.

Maybe towards eoa we get a message explaining that :the Orcs have overrun the Elves in the West. Fearful for their lives, the humans and dwarves have united to destroy the horde." and for that age Dwarf, Elf, Human and Orc are playable (as four of the 8 races available for the age). The other four races can be four of the many backup races that the new owners are planning on rotating in. There could be a side quest to try and encourage dwarf/human heavy kds to fight orc heavy kds, and wws can be tallied over the age from these unofficial teams to see a final winner (of that tiny side quest, which will otherwise not affect gameplay in any way bar providing perhaps another element that could be adjusted each age)
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

Another thing to consider is to let the gameplay drive part of the narrative.

A recent example that landed an article at ArsTechnica: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...sterful-troll/

Not that I've played Elite: Dangerous or that I'm trying to compare Utopia to Elite: Dangerous.

Thread Information