Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding game depth

I've always liked how function/mechanics take the lead and throw a wrench into logical explanations of Utopia. Like this thread: http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...tting-ambushed

that tries to explain how you get plague immediately from an attack/ambush even though the army takes X hours to get back home from the attack. I especially love this comment:

You question the plague affecting your province when you get ambushed, but accept your army taking no time to reach the enemy, but 12 days to get home, carrying acres of land on their backs?
    Besides, the point of Utopia isn't classical Tolkien fantasy-like conflicts between races or even personalities. Instead, it's actually kingdoms of different races and personalities coming together to... well, grow and attack other kingdoms. I believe these two realities of game mechanics makes story-telling interestingly difficult for Utopia (and IMHO, perhaps wacky and funny, which I like).

Needs to get out more
    Yes, I think Utopia operates in a logic vacuum that we all agreed to accept.

The same goes for magic in any book or movie; we can believe in magic without knowing the physics.

On that thought and a tangent: undead conversions.

It occurred to me that the War Room would be long, but I thought an interesting thing you could do with undead and/or war hero, or exclusive to undead war hero:

1- Conversions are totally random in that you acquire elites from all races.

2- There could be a bias algorithm depending on the race you attack.

3- There'd still be undead elites and low loss(land attacks) feature applies to all elite races.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 03-06-2017 at 15:49.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

So curious is there anything being put together in the way of age to age plots or was this idea just not a right fit for this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Twistedthor View Post
    Okay I am a gamer who likes plotlines in my games. With that being said is there an overall plot to Utopia that can be used to maybe used to show the age to age evolution of the game? If so what is it and where can it be found? If not would there be any interest in maybe developing this as a way to in game explain the out of game adjustments that are made to things. Maybe have race or persona related stories that can be used to add depth to the game.
    This is a great idea. I'm sure it's crossed a lot of minds over time. Can consider me a +1 for help on this one.

Scribe
    withdrawn
    Last edited by Goodwitch; 05-08-2017 at 04:43. Reason: not even worth it

Regular
    Not to piggy back off League of Legends...

(inb4 "LoL Sucks, not real game, cancer community")

But they do a really good job of lore when they add a new character to the lineup, complete with videos and such. Now im not saying we need to go crazy on that type of production, but the thought behind it remains the same. When new things are added, or when age rotates over, Lore should be brought into the equation on "why" changes are the way they are besides just the vanilla, "balance changes" "new race added".

Like the OP said, Great, but WHY did they show up? WHY were elites nerfed? Some sort of Utopia God?

You see where there is going...

Thread Information