I'm typing this up from my phone so apologies if the formatting is less than appealing

The problem : honor is a broken, useless (at least in what I consider it's purpose to be) mechanic. The fact that it's a resource that is generated exclusively in war, but easier farmed outside of war, is a slap in the face to every war kingdom.

And before you say "ok, top kingdoms bottomfeeding honor to top the charts is bad, just nerf the OoW gains. No need to overhaul things." No. Even before the gains got messed up, honor was not a respected mechanic. It's problems far exceed the current gains issue.

The solution:
Turn the honor system into a sort of "achievement" list. The more achievements you knock off, the higher honor rank your province achieves. Some of these achievements can be attainable outside of war, some of these achievements could be war-only. Ideally I think the balance should be such that if you never enter war, you could theoretically reach a respectable honor level (think baron/viscount), but the only way to achieve the higher levels would be to war and war frequently.

Further explaination:
Just a few further points to make or clarify...

1. It's being explained as a province mechanic, but you can very easily give the ranks a numeric value and use the kingdom totals for a kingdom chart/ranking.

2. A major complaint of the honor system is how hard it is to climb the ranks vs how quickly you can lose those ranks and especially considering how much of that isn't in your hands. This would make honor much more stable but you could still have conditional achievements which make it possible to still lose your ranks.

3. By no longer considering honor as a resource that needs to be generated and thrown into the game, it makes it much easier to put in things like aid and dragon contributions, which previously were incredibly abusable and therefore unable to be incorporated. It doesn't have to stop at those either. You could get really creative with the categories and achievements.

4. I think such a change would generate some really interesting strategies for kingdoms trying to honor whore, while keeping the incentive for provinces to be rewarded for their activity and contributions to the kingdoms efforts

Thoughts? Opinions? Criticisms?