Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 7:1 scrubs

Quote Originally Posted by Gronski87 View Post
    I don't deny,that. I'm running 20k elites my,elites blow for offense. And no one else is strong enough,attacker wise to retaliate. It's not I'm just,rolling deffence specs and exploring.
    Get some of your attackers to grow up to you to provide a deterrence.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Get some of your attackers to grow up to you to provide a deterrence.
    I am trying. We started the kingdom this age and brought in 3 real life friends who never played before and are teaching them how to play. And the learning curve for them has been a bit steep. Then coupled with having over 9 providences lost to inactivity and only having 14 total is making it pretty rough. Plus our kingdom won't refill for whatever reason. We haven't had a yeah providence is like 5 days.

I was almost to the point of restarting my providence to switch races and personality becuase were not getting new providences and we dont have any large attackers. But I don't have any,credits to reset
    Last edited by Gronski87; 09-06-2017 at 13:59.

I am trying. We started the kingdom this age and brought in 3 real life friends who never played before and are teaching them how to play. And the learning curve for them has been a bit steep. Then coupled with having over 9 providences lost to inactivity and only having 14 total is making it pretty rough. Plus our kingdom won't refill for whatever reason. We haven't had a yeah providence is like 5 days.

I was almost to the point of restarting my providence to switch races and personality becuase were not getting new providences and we dont have any large attackers. But I don't have any,credits to reset
    GRonski,

This is another thing that I tell many new players. The game descriptions are kind of hurtful in this respect. People like the idea of "dominating through magic" or "stealth" but the reality of the game is this, without the support of an attacking core, a thief or mage is worthless. The relations system makes it impossible for a thieves and mages to be worth anything unless a certain number of hits are exchanged and then even for a limited time. As someone playing in a non established kingdom, you have to play some sort of attacker (yes, this is one of those things you MUST do, sorry to say). Why the game guides do not explain this to new players is beyond me. If you are newer, you can't be a TM. There is no way around it.

Utopia is a game about attrition. You win by losing less than the other guy. It is as simple as that. If you are in a ghetto and are never going to get into a war with anyone, the most effective thing you could do is be an Orc with almost no defense and 30% Guard Stations. After two hits, the mechanic of gang bang protection will make it impossible for anyone to gain off you. With your 20% bonus gains on attacks and your guard stations you will ruin any larger kingdom that decides to foolishly mess with you. It is just that simple. Run 200+ offense points per acre with loads of GS and I promise you, no larger kingdom will ever look at you. Have three or four of those in your kingdom with two higher wizard per acre spell casters that can access fools gold and cast MS and you will NEVER see a single hit from any but the most blindly stupid top kingdoms.

Now, you MAY get waves from those kingdoms (more than 10 hits in a single hour), which if you DO NOT retaliate and send a note offering a Cease Fire with a termed time (End of Age, Year XX, etc) will almost certainly be granted thus essentially ending the likelihood it will happen again from that kingdom in THIS age. When I co-led a small war Kingdom, I collected CF's from all the top until there was no one above that could hit me. Then I was free to grow and war and do whatever I wished without any fear. To do that, I had to take a few hits, arrange times when I would give land, etc. Spend a little time and effort.

BTW, no one cares if you think they are cowardly.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Demon
    @coss no one said they should give you UF, what I said was they can hit 1:1 possibly with raze as Meep suggested if you are only hitting them once a day, if you hit them more it is them that has ops on you and they should use that insted of hitting back with armies.

Pretty standard tactics that works against the top as long as 90% of your provinces is to small to give gains so all out actions would not be benificial for the bigger kingdom.

If I'd suggested them to go all out and give UF or Hostile that would have been as bad advice as what Bart gave when he suggested to raze into future wars.

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    GRonski,

This is another thing that I tell many new players. The game descriptions are kind of hurtful in this respect. People like the idea of "dominating through magic" or "stealth" but the reality of the game is this, without the support of an attacking core, a thief or mage is worthless. The relations system makes it impossible for a thieves and mages to be worth anything unless a certain number of hits are exchanged and then even for a limited time. As someone playing in a non established kingdom, you have to play some sort of attacker (yes, this is one of those things you MUST do, sorry to say). Why the game guides do not explain this to new players is beyond me. If you are newer, you can't be a TM. There is no way around it.

Utopia is a game about attrition. You win by losing less than the other guy. It is as simple as that. If you are in a ghetto and are never going to get into a war with anyone, the most effective thing you could do is be an Orc with almost no defense and 30% Guard Stations. After two hits, the mechanic of gang bang protection will make it impossible for anyone to gain off you. With your 20% bonus gains on attacks and your guard stations you will ruin any larger kingdom that decides to foolishly mess with you. It is just that simple. Run 200+ offense points per acre with loads of GS and I promise you, no larger kingdom will ever look at you. Have three or four of those in your kingdom with two higher wizard per acre spell casters that can access fools gold and cast MS and you will NEVER see a single hit from any but the most blindly stupid top kingdoms.

Now, you MAY get waves from those kingdoms (more than 10 hits in a single hour), which if you DO NOT retaliate and send a note offering a Cease Fire with a termed time (End of Age, Year XX, etc) will almost certainly be granted thus essentially ending the likelihood it will happen again from that kingdom in THIS age. When I co-led a small war Kingdom, I collected CF's from all the top until there was no one above that could hit me. Then I was free to grow and war and do whatever I wished without any fear. To do that, I had to take a few hits, arrange times when I would give land, etc. Spend a little time and effort.

BTW, no one cares if you think they are cowardly.

Thisnisnt my 1st age. It is 3 of our friends first. And we didn't know we were gonna be down to 14 providences with no attackers. 2 of us out of the 5 thagvstarted went t/m the other 3 went attacker and we had a full kingdom with alot of attackers. Then 2 weeks later 9 to 10,people quit and know were at 14 providences with some undersized attacker and 3 newbies still learning. We're still teaching and growing can only do what we can only do ya know.

Thisnisnt my 1st age. It is 3 of our friends first. And we didn't know we were gonna be down to 14 providences with no attackers. 2 of us out of the 5 thagvstarted went t/m the other 3 went attacker and we had a full kingdom with alot of attackers. Then 2 weeks later 9 to 10,people quit and know were at 14 providences with some undersized attacker and 3 newbies still learning. We're still teaching and growing can only do what we can only do ya know.
    Well I am glad to hear you have come back for repeat ages.

My suggestion is that until you have a solid 20-22 provinces and can know what your kingdom will look like, that you stick to attackers. Thieves and mages are fun and are nice for shifting the ratios of troops in a conflict, but all conflicts are ultimately decided by the attackers. You have to be able to take land. Without that, you are useless. I say that with a very heavy heart as I hate playing attacker. I really prefer the thief/mage roles. However, there is no room for more than 4-6 of them in any kingdom and without attacker support, they are just food.

Given that you are not competing for anything in particular. I would recommend that you do one of two things (depending on activity). Restart and either go avian or Orc. Either one of those as attackers provides deterrence. Avians work best for revenge (imho). Orcs work better generally (imho). Whatever you choose, good luck this age and I hope you have fun.
    Last edited by Sheister; 09-06-2017 at 15:56.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Regular
    There is no way to restart without spending money is there? Cuz I wanna stay in the same kingdom. And until we get a unified kingdom in not sure ibwasnt to invest money

Post Demon
    while change is a paid feature as long as you have someone in charge that are willing to invite you back you can delete then create random after 24 hours and get invited back in using free invites.

I think Sheister has a point about Attacker is better than T/M in the gutter, you are not going to war, so having provinces that can only do ops is not going to benifit you in any way unless you get to do ops as retals.

I once started in a kingdom where mass defection occured after a lost war I think, ended up on 6 provinces for 3-4 weeks with me the only attacker fending off attacks on the rest so it can work but generaly makes for unbalanced kingdoms, I think we ended the age 22 people and might have actually won a war later on.

Needs to get out more
    When we talk about success we need to be specific to the role. Like Sheister said: ditto, with my additional ghetto savvy.

A couple ages ago I ran an undead sage. The point of this build is meter assholeism. Now I didn't know this going in; it was just an experiment. The fact is, having a durable offense that spreads something as unwanted as plague, backed by the king of poor sportsmanship ops as amnesia, I personally saw marauding bottom feeding attackers back-the-f&@k-off consistently.

Look, I had everybody and his brother tell me it's a garbage combo and amnesia sucks. Then..suddenly, when I started popping guys with amnesia I noted they became crystalline aware of UF and what going deep against the likes of an undead sage meant. I could lay back and abduct with nary a worry on the enemy, and crap on science of the guild neglecting badasses.

I'm not saying it's the go-2 build this age; I haven't studied it. You do get NM and you do get extra mana, so I'm sure I could reprise the role. But this is what you're looking for when war is unlikely but bottom feeding is.

The question is, when do you forgo kingdom synergy in war for capability outside of war? Answer: When you can honestly tell yourself you aren't charting.

If you're not charting then you're basically playing for fun, like me. I've played long enough to know I can war against attackeresque kingdom strats and do fine with my own non-attackeresque build. What I mean is, I've been to war against the avian cleric, undead tacs, orc warriors etc, but I handle myself well enough to not need the attacker personality to do respectable work.

The real deal is out of war. This is where top kingdoms thrive, honor kingdoms thrive and great war kingdoms master their prep. You build to keep these predators at arms length or even force respect from them. Amnesia is open for business in UF?

Why does it matter? Because spells like amnesia, fools gold, meteors cause economic distress. Push those professors back a few notches, turn gold to lead, force the enemy t/ms to cast MV and attackers to keep armies out. You may not beat a giant but you can make it misery.

Now about fearlessness. It's a game. Sleepy rocks, but guess what I did in age 63 as a solo province in a kingdom shell? I hit them back. I hit them back, I hit BeastBlood back, I hit Emeriti back, I hit Pew Pew back, I hit Alice(Green) back.
    It comes from respect for them: I respect the top. You have to conclude that my desire for self preservation was not as high as my demand for respect. Any kingdom in the entire game could've raze killed me.

Think about that. And build to top feed even if you have no plans to be aggressive. It's purely a state of mind. I'm as peaceful as they get in Utopia. I only retaliate.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 09-06-2017 at 22:53.
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

And remember, as a small kingdom, GBP is your friend. The first hit you take hurts. The second is annoying. The third is laughable and gives your kingdom ops. It only gets better from there. Pair that with an appropriately bonuses combination and you are set to wreck someone's day.

Consider, two ages ago when I got mad at a kingdom. I did not come to these forums to whine. Nope. I went avian warrior so that I would have 5 generals, built max rax and was razing into the enemy's war 5x every 7 hrs. Think about what makes you pissed at them. Think about what would make you pissed if it happened to you. Then DO THAT. And laugh while you do it...

Scribe
    A Halfer can be a decent hybrid, just don't expect to be unbreakable and don't grow more than the attackers.
    Look around and see if you can find small kingdoms with only a few active provinces and ask if they want to merge. Or maybe just the active ones want to join you.
    I think if you merge kingdoms the devs will help out so you don't have to buy invites but not sure on that one. Definitely worth asking about though.

Needs to get out more
    The last thing I'll add is you should enjoy the game whether you're addicted, or not.
    Competing or not.
    Ghettoing or not.
    Experimenting or not.

I've noticed a number of players get anxious for the next age if the current age isn't rock'n'roll at its finest. From a coaching perspective I encourage strong finishing. Personally I enjoy EoA because the actives have a chance to play wide open. I'm not a spoiler, so I don't go after guys contending chart spots unless provoked.

There's often the air of nefarious plotting by late age thrill seekers, but my endeavors are pure. I'm just looking for a joust.

One of my hangups with playing in organized kingdoms is the "age is over, man!" rhetoric and migration to inaction. They CF the good enemies and tread water bemoaning this and that. You know how uncool that is? Let this Phoenix burn, baby! We come back in a few days, 400 acres of unexplored mechanics.

Have fun, be respectful and keep teaching and learning.
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

that moment when even Bishop takes the scrub's side :D

we were 10 last age, after we got kicked out of the other kd, and restarted with 400 acres mid age, but still got the b@lls to take head on 20-25 provs kd, having a blast and getting more CF's than time to accept them.
    u and ur kd mates did a few things very bad for ur kd. a bunch of them were pointed out, a bunch weren't.
    if u wanna learn something good, pm me and we can have a chat :)
    You're a team player, a save the day super hero... I hate people like you.

So everyones just gonna ignore the fact hes been calling a province a providence the whole time. Lol

Me/coss had 2 split kds(both kicked out by their respected kds)getting razed like hell last age by multiple kds. In 2 weeks, each of us had maxed out science increased the total of kds razing each of our kds from 2 to 4 and filled our next age kd(sleepy). It was legit like being at war for 3 straight weeks i was in a 11 prov kd being razed by kds from different time zones having to wake up at 5 am to get my army out plus i had 1 guy i booted raze me for like 2 weeks straight in and out of wars.
    While at the bottom, both kds in the bottom 150 we just caused hell for utopia lol. We didnt cry. Id login check the news seen a couple of my guys wailed on some top kds to force cfs and i got my army out asap to protect my elites and load up on scientist b4 they got revenge and razed me the entire last 3 weeks of the age. I made it to 50 acres multiple times. Avian warrior was what i chose to raze my old monarch. The game was Utopia, the goal stay alive, my mission see how many kds i can piss off with taunts, banners, 12 vs 22 prov wars and random dragons lol! I finished with max science and +1k acres and we probably had the most fun ever being so small.

U cant beat sleepy, u can do two things take a couple hits, or take action and force 2 things.

Retal which is followed by retals and more pain and more pain
    Or
    Take ur trimming and adjust ur goal cuz growth wont be one of them until u
    1 can outgrow utopia or
    2 u get a kd that can support u in ur attempts to grow.

Now knowing u have no1 to help u cuz u made it public.

Id go with the later one
    Making Great Wine out of Sour Grapes ...Lol haters are gonna hate players are gonna play! Keep it simple Just KMA!

Age 33- Perfection
    Age 36- Chronic CSB
    Age 58-60 Monarch of Kings
    Age 60- Fratzias sexiest player

Quote Originally Posted by King_Viking View Post
    So everyones just gonna ignore the fact hes been calling a province a providence the whole time. Lol
    Thank you for finally calling that out LOL it has been driving me crazy, but I didnt want to be an ass and say something
    “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
    - unknown

Thread Information