View Poll Results: Barrier fix mid-age warranted?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It is overpowered to an unreasonable level and affecting the landscape of the age.

5 21.74%
  • Maybe. I mean, the devs properly estimated the effect of the bonuses, right?

1 4.35%
  • No. Yours is the only kingdom experiencing such difficulty. Just use it yourself whiner!

17 73.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid-age tweak to Barrier warranted?

I believe we have run with the Onslaught each war this age.
    Getting ops off has sucked throughout, but the lack of real ops hasn't decided a war so far.
    Probably makes wars a lot more boring for you t/m's though.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Zauper View Post
    You realize that it is easier to cast on a province with barrier on it than it was to cast on the same province without barrier last age?
    Also, you may believe that you've coded it to be easier, but it is assuredly not easier in action. For players who have become attuned to the game over the years, results are easier to base opinions on than assuming the code is perfect. I am of the strong opinion that this is not working as intended.

As an Elf with over 4 mod WPA, failing consistently on Humans with 1 mod WPA is unacceptable. It is not delivering what is advertised for these races.

With 3-4 mod WPA over the course of the age, excluding casting on Mystics which was rarely attempted, this should not be the result:

Spells Attempted 447
    Successful Spells 332

Inflated by self spell success, let's say this is more like a 70% success rate, including endless failed support spells on targets with half the WPA. Sure, endless is an exaggeration, but to a player, the consistent failure feels like just that when you're advertised as the top magic-using race by the numbers. Especially also considering that you've made spellcasting "easier" this age.

Sorry but if you're saying that spellcasting is greater than 25% easier this age (hence why you say it nullifies Barrier), I'm just not seeing it and neither is anyone else in my kingdom, even Mystics who have higher WPA than me. Last age my Faery had upwards of an 85% success rate; now this age the race is better for magic, the mechanics are better for magic, yet the results, what really matters, are down that much? Surely you can see where your claims and where actual results suffer quite a gap.

(also that the % values for barrier are currently meaningless as you can't take them down?)
    Why are the % values meaningless? How is it that an entire kingdom's worth of provinces having 25% better magic and thief defense is meaningless? This statement could use some clarification.

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post

Why are the % values meaningless? How is it that an entire kingdom's worth of provinces having 25% better magic and thief defense is meaningless? This statement could use some clarification.
    He means that the "strength" of the ritual doesn't diminish over time. The xx% of ritual strenght left is only a timer. Bit confusing..
    RoughKnecS

--> Want art? <--
    --> Or see Tadpole banners? <--

The industrys greats

** Cerberus ** Killah ** Shadowheart **

Director of Age Changes
    First major "QQ barrier QQ" thread so late? It's year 3 already!
    As Folle said, everyone can use, so buckle up.
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

I like to post
    The devs put a lot of time into devising a new mechanics to make the game more fun for us. Don't judge them after 3 weeks already. I'm sure as the age progresses you'll all see it is a great change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    The devs put a lot of time into devising a new mechanics to make the game more fun for us. Don't judge them after 3 weeks already. I'm sure as the age progresses you'll all see it is a great change.
    hahahahaha
    Snakes
    PewPEW
    Divinity
    Emeriti

Non of my nubs speak for my KD

Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    Funny.... Here is Bart's own thread complaining about Rituals... particularly Barrier.

Well he isnt wrong.
    most changes this age are rushed and halfassed
    Snakes
    PewPEW
    Divinity
    Emeriti

Non of my nubs speak for my KD

Scribe
    we won the first and in the process of winning the second war with onslaught against barrier...those kills add up quickly.
    But go ahead and keep casting barriers :)
    and while I think that mages have been crippled a lot over the last few ages, it's not impossible to cast versus barrier. And if the barrier keeps you from casting send a saph...over and over again. Though onslaught+ruby and/or onslaught/emerald seem a better combo :P

Postaholic
    These are the most boring rules in recent memory. Not only is the only playable race an all-defense one, but the only usable ritual gives +10% defense to both sides. Is anyone supposed to be attacking at all?

The magic is not working, with barrier up, or with no barrier. Thievery ops are still failing more than they should, but magic is foul. There is something wrong with it, and I hope for the devs to look into it with some consideration that longtime players know what good magic is, and when magic is broken.

I'm sitting a Paladin, and the poor thing fails on minor protection, blowing up wizards, with 50% guilds. The next time it was cast, the duration was low. Casting on kingdom mates, and low wpa ones, results in mostly fails and blowups. Which is why 50% guilds, but it's broken for sure.

Barrier is bad on top of all this.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
    The magic is not working, with barrier up, or with no barrier. Thievery ops are still failing more than they should, but magic is foul. There is something wrong with it, and I hope for the devs to look into it with some consideration that longtime players know what good magic is, and when magic is broken.

I'm sitting a Paladin, and the poor thing fails on minor protection, blowing up wizards, with 50% guilds. The next time it was cast, the duration was low. Casting on kingdom mates, and low wpa ones, results in mostly fails and blowups. Which is why 50% guilds, but it's broken for sure.

Barrier is bad on top of all this.
    the target provinces have to have guilds to have success and duration I believe. But besides that I don't think pally spells were intended to be easy nor should they be.

while I hate that mages are forced to play hybrid somewhat , casting offensive spells is much much easier than last age. The larger net range is also clearly noticable. My raw wpa is a bit above 4 and other than on elves and a few faeries i have no problems landing spells against barrier.

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Funny.... Here is Bart's own thread complaining about Rituals... particularly Barrier.
    I deny that this thread was posted by me. The changes are great, period.

Bart is trying to get banned by being positive. A new day has dawned.
    "Because of the implication"

Needs to get out more
    Sometimes, inefficiency is the solution. No analogy necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Thread Information