View Poll Results: Barrier fix mid-age warranted?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. It is overpowered to an unreasonable level and affecting the landscape of the age.

5 21.74%
  • Maybe. I mean, the devs properly estimated the effect of the bonuses, right?

1 4.35%
  • No. Yours is the only kingdom experiencing such difficulty. Just use it yourself whiner!

17 73.91%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid-age tweak to Barrier warranted?

Forum Addict

Mid-age tweak to Barrier warranted?

It's starting to get ridiculous. Is it the most used ritual by far? Seems like they're everywhere you look. The DME/gains bonus is not a noticeable issue, but 25% WPA and TPA on defense is getting unreasonable. You're giving every province in a kingdom almost full Elf magic defense and Halfling thief defense. In my kingdom, we've got Mystics failing Fireballs on targets that have been massacred thrice already and throwing up their arms in frustration. The whole thing seems surreal and that's even with just an 80% Barrier; we didn't even bother casting when it was stronger. Is this the common experience? If so... why does this exist in the game?

We wont be modifying any mechanics mid age.
    Support email: utopiasupport@utopia-game.com <- please use this and don't just PM me| Account Deleted/Inactive | Utopia Facebook Page | #tactics <-- click to join IRC|
    PM DavidC for test server access

Luckily everybody has the same advantages.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Well then delete the poll, it serves no purpose :)

Needs to get out more
    @ Folle: That's true.

I'm not using my dryad to destroy but I'm sure it was introduced for such contingencies.

Maybe I should grab intel and send in game messages:

Hello.

You would have been pulverized despite your puny ritual.

I wish you and your kingdom a wonderful age.

~ StratO
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

This is the least of the bad implementations this age. I don't fault Jeff and Dave for trying, its good they tried stuff out. But this was a huge nerf to TM's at a time when they are supposed to be encouraging more use of ops. Strange...
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    This is the least of the bad implementations this age. I don't fault Jeff and Dave for trying, its good they tried stuff out. But this was a huge nerf to TM's at a time when they are supposed to be encouraging more use of ops. Strange...
    People will always complain whatever they do. So they should do like whatever they feel like doing! Cant satisify them all!

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    in the last couple of ages what made you think they'd encourage use of ops? It's all about military strength, people just didn't adapt. Wizards are a tool to cast rituals and self spells with now mainly, seems planned to me.

Post Fiend
    I agree with initial post - Utopia seems to be split between KD's that understand keeping this up is a good idea and those that has not yet realized this/or is incapable of getting a Barrier up every 5 days.

KD Rituals is an interesting new mechanic I think - but in it's current state Barrier seems too strong. For next age I'd like to see the elements of Barrier ritual split into either 2 or 4 different rituals - Duration and cost can be tweaked accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    People will always complain whatever they do. So they should do like whatever they feel like doing! Cant satisify them all!
    Of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    in the last couple of ages what made you think they'd encourage use of ops? It's all about military strength, people just didn't adapt. Wizards are a tool to cast rituals and self spells with now mainly, seems planned to me.
    They talked about that in the podcasts etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky-T View Post
    I agree with initial post - Utopia seems to be split between KD's that understand keeping this up is a good idea and those that has not yet realized this/or is incapable of getting a Barrier up every 5 days.

KD Rituals is an interesting new mechanic I think - but in it's current state Barrier seems too strong. For next age I'd like to see the elements of Barrier ritual split into either 2 or 4 different rituals - Duration and cost can be tweaked accordingly.
    Yes, splitting this up and making people choose their defenses makes more sense. Either that or add -10% attack time to Onslaught so people feel like choosing that.

As it stands right now, barrier is more powerful and useful than Affluent (which is clearly retricted to war so that people don't whore with it, although with the other mechancis choices of this age, that restriction makes little sense to me.)
    Last edited by Sheister; 13-06-2017 at 15:56.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Quacky-T View Post
    We actually avoided it for a while precisely because of how powerful it is, as we felt like having it constantly up would potentially make it more difficult to get wars, or at least limit the pool of likely opponents to those who also had it up.

I do agree the effects probably need to be split though. And a counter definitely needs to be introduced.

I like to post
    I agree with this. The mechanics are fine and should not be modified, especially mid-age.

Post Demon
    rituals are nothing OOW but I hope you are having fun depleting rune supply over and over again, if you want protection use real guard stations.

Surprised not to have encountered onslaugth yet, maybe because offenses are still bigger than defenses on all attackers, I would expect some use for kingdoms on dwarf or elf cores.

Veteran
    indeed, barrier is a terrible mechanic and I d like to see it removed. Not a big fan of any of the rituals tbh. For me personally I d prefer rituals would be removed altogether
    My former contribution to a kingdom known by many names
    [ Palindromes - Stuck inside my head - Dinner is Served - Doom & Bloom Seed Co. - Foxtonomy - First Impressions ]

=^..^= SPGC !! =^..^=
    It is I the Three Musketeers, Alpacahontas, Appetitical ManiaC, Twerk it Harder Make it Better

"\*.Pyromaniacs.*/"

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    It's starting to get ridiculous. Is it the most used ritual by far? Seems like they're everywhere you look. The DME/gains bonus is not a noticeable issue, but 25% WPA and TPA on defense is getting unreasonable. You're giving every province in a kingdom almost full Elf magic defense and Halfling thief defense. In my kingdom, we've got Mystics failing Fireballs on targets that have been massacred thrice already and throwing up their arms in frustration. The whole thing seems surreal and that's even with just an 80% Barrier; we didn't even bother casting when it was stronger. Is this the common experience? If so... why does this exist in the game?
    You realize that it is easier to cast on a province with barrier on it than it was to cast on the same province without barrier last age?

(also that the % values for barrier are currently meaningless as you can't take them down?)

Thread Information