Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Raw game

Post Fiend
    Utopia is a strategy game and Time is a valuable resource in the game.
    If you feel that you can achieve the same results as others while spending 10x the time, then good for you, but don't expect everyone else to believe the same thing.

Compare it to warfare:
    If you wanted the "Raw" experience of warfare, there is nothing stopping you from recruiting a few farmers, arm them with some rocks and a stick and then send and receive orders via a horseback courier.
    Though I think the result would be given if you then decided to go up against a properly trained army that uses machine guns and radios for communication..

Even if players expect a bit more freedom in the ghettos, ghetto monarchs rarely aspire to have a KD wide anarchy - they usually have a vision of having a successful KD rather than aim at being the worst KD around. Hence they often step by step implement tools and a few rules/guidelines. Some make it out of the ghetto's and become successful, other KDs fall apart along the way.

Post Demon
    the last kingdom I lead with no mandatory requirements as such went 4/6 its best age and 0/4 the age when we disbanded, last war I had more attacks than the remaining 21 combined, when no one followed orders anymore. So it is possible to win ghetto wars, but often you are left with the bad apples and a kingdom that can't even beat another ghetto.

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Binar View Post
    or dont, but then atleast find a kd that plays like that :P by the looks of it MoonOf would be welcomed into both Bartans and Javiers kd
    Ha! Now there're the crux. My way of LS only works if everyone in the KD is selected carefully as already being team players! Selection at the gate we call it, and with that I'm very careful ^^

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elit View Post
    BTW here is one serious nonsense in game recruit system. If you are retired and want to start play again in random KD Game consider your: Game knowledge unknown and activity None. So you cant aply for any good kingdom. Its really silly and unfair.
    BinBin sorry if you didn't get my application :D
    You're welcome Elit to join up with my ghetto any time. I have no requirements other than that you regularly chat with us :D (see, selection at the gates!).

Postaholic
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moon of Earth View Post
    Jeez ... you sound like a bad Monarch ... no problems as long as we never share Kingdom ...
    The point is, utopia is a math simulator. Your monarch and the enemy monarch are trying to solve a math puzzle. When you make unknown variables (intel, enemy or your own) harder to solve for your monarch, you are forcing him to play at a disadvantage. By intentionally making things more difficult for your leadership, you're helping your own kd lose.

I agree that tools provided by munk and the like should be integrated within the base game, as third party tools are a hassle to get people like you to set up (although you can currently setup munk with 4 mouse clicks and one typed word), but the current state of the game relies heavily on third party tools to make the game playable. I'm sure in the next age or two you can pay real $ for these tools rather than take 30 seconds out of your life to set something up for free.

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart of Sparta View Post
    You're welcome Elit to join up with my ghetto any time. I have no requirements other than that you regularly chat with us :D (see, selection at the gates!).
    So far its how i joined for one age in CR. Using connections is only way for me to play in ghetto :)
    Still whether is way to hot to start any drama!
    “the mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

“I should've suspected trouble when the coffee failed to arrive.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Elit View Post
    So far its how i joined for one age in CR. Using connections is only way for me to play in ghetto :)
    Still whether is way to hot to start any drama!
    Shoot me your e-mail and create a LINE account. Will be in touch with you soon!

Post Fiend
    I played many many many ages ago, as Monarch for a few ages, and my kd made it to top 10 this was pre age 45.. I was very lucky that I got a bunch of very skilled people in my kd, that could think for themself's and had expirience warring.. So we made like 3/3 WW's in a row too.. I chose to not make it mandatory for people to go in IRC, still managed to hang around top 10, but I had a crapload of work to do, making orders, doing war planning, sorting out province's etc. that could have been done much easier with addons.

I.E. if your kd mate takes intel on a enemy, hit, but never post the intel, cause he forgets.

Compared to take intel, the addon automatically post's this intel to lets say upoopu or munk.

-------

If you come online, needs intel, but is out of stealth, you cant find anyone in ingame chat, and have no intel site.

Id say you cant really play "competitively" (yeah I know game isnt very competitive cause lack of top kd's) without addons.. Atleast that would be in a very ghettolike kd

Also whats wrong with chatting in a better chat? Without communicating this game wouldnt be great
    Strategy Lost CBC
    Bad Company KLA
    Founder of Disturbed KLA
    Zenobias Zealots
    SoRRoW of Exodus
    Equilibrium of Absalom
    Sanctuary of Absalom
    FORCE of Exodus

Post Fiend
    Chatting in better chats are fine ... the emphasis (from me) in this thread is my expression of disliking for habitual compulsity of such addons as upoopu and slack -when in all but top tier they are basically pointless ... and competing at the top level is a completely different game entirely and one that i believe is less enjoyable (sleepless nights, overdose of time online... pressure) ... for 95% of players the addons are not even worth getting as their Kingdom includes players that dont even log on or are still learning the game etc ... i find myself debating this subject with Ghetto Kings and Queens -the type of people that use seven exclamation points in their Commands but then dont reply to mail ... ah well ... utopia pirate for life!
    Live long and prosper

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by The Moon of Earth View Post
    when in all but top tier they are basically pointless ...
    But this is where you're wrong. The game has more levels than the top 3-4 kingdoms trying to crown and everyone else.

Post Fiend
    All info can be shared in other ways and when not competing at the very top the situations allows for a spare minute or so for old fashioned information sharing... it is needless fussiness to spread addons across the server and faciliate their seeming importance ... in ghettoes the raw game is still all that is required ... those at the top are at the point of absurdity in their actions and efforts to rank...

But we shall have to just agree to disagree as i am running out to ways to reword my thoughts and opinions on the subject...
    Live long and prosper

You must be the guy who didn't bring a calculator to take the ACT because tools somehow diminish the value of the test.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    You must be the guy who didn't bring a calculator to take the ACT because tools somehow diminish the value of the test.
    lol. accurate

Post Demon
    well you can still do well individually even if not using tools, it is the team efford that will suffer, so that last comparison does not hold.

I assume you are referencing my comparison. And if so, you are just being contrary.

And I could argue the comparison holds regardless, you just have to properly define your team.
    You do well on the ACT, get a 35. College tuition becomes free.
    You do poorly on the ACT, get a 15. Your parents have to pay the college to accept you.

You hurt your family/team.

Even your High School gets recognition for how well the students do, so you could include your school into your idea of team.

Plus... it was a joke.

Thread Information