Thread: Starting scientists

Post Fiend

Starting scientists

Hello,

Can anyone remember how many scientists we started with at beginning of age? (assume non-sage)

Post Demon
    30 scientists

this is my recollection as well

Is there a "best" way to distribute them at the beginning?

Post Demon
    It depends of what you want, you might want to focus on income for training and go with everything in alchemy or you might want an extra boost as a thief for an early war and put everything or mostly everything in crime.

Playing Dryad this age I think I put 20 in military and 10 in alchemy focusing on maxing military first, but since I noticed during the age how little science you need to go without farms I suppose I would put 20 in production and 10 in tools and remove farms right away and get a BE boost to early Libaries, but only because I know I am active enougth to keep up FL at all times. 15 might do as you only need arround +30-35% to production to be able to sustain your province as a Dryad using FL, I got 18 professors in production right now and could do without FL on +72%, so in a week 20 would be quite safe except for situations where you get your food targetted with drougth and gluttony, keep in mind thougth adding housing science and especially if you are using homes you would need more, I got no homes and only +10,6% in housing.

When you know what you will be playing and especially if you have an idea what your kingdom wants to do early age get back with that information and I will suggest a distribution for you and give a reasoning behind that.

Veteran
    I always go extremely income-heavy at the start of the age to maximise early training.
    Josh; leader of a lovable band of misfits, Pinoys, and probable virgins.

My Raging Clue

*If a Utopian falls in the woods, and no-one is around to see him...was he still bottom-feeding?

I am Undead/Rogue and my KD is looking to war OOP. Not quite sure how to make the most of my sciences early in the age.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    I suppose I would put 20 in production and 10 in tools and remove farms right away and get a BE boost to early Libaries
    Assuming libraries means labs, then labs are not affected by BE.

Quote Originally Posted by mpd View Post
    I am Undead/Rogue and my KD is looking to war OOP. Not quite sure how to make the most of my sciences early in the age.
    Personally I'd go either military or thievery then. If it were me, I'd calculate which one gives you the most benefit (that would depend what raw tpa you plan to have and how much off/def you plan to have). My guess is thievery would give you the most benefit.

Should I put any in the others?

Veteran
    Note: When taking about "max" here, I'm referring to the soft cap max - ie the figures that existed as number of profs needed for max benefit in each category last age. We don't know how the scaling past the soft cap works yet, so hard to take into account that change atm.

Personally, with scientists who are generated (rather than abducted) I would aim to max one category at a time, depending on what is most important to what my province is doing. A caveat to that is if I plan to do abducts during the age, I would consider not completely filling a category with scientists who are generated, so that if I happen to abduct a scientist for that category, I don't end up with more than the max number that I would need (this may be less of an issue with the changed soft caps, but it depends how effects of scientists past the soft cap scale).

With scientists that are abducted, I might leave them or re-assign them, depending on their experience and what category they are in.

What that means specifically in relation to your question is if I were doing thievery (soft max ~31) I'd probably put something like 25, and if I were doing military (soft max 37.5) I'd probably do something like 30. I wouldn't say it was wrong to just put the whole 30 in either thievery or military though, and I have done that before too. It depends on a lot of factors specific to how you and your KD play.

Post Demon
    For Undead/Rogue I'd suggest 20 into thievery and 10 into alchemy to give a small ecconomy boost and a bigger one for your thievery as that would greatly strengthen your ability to do ops early on, for undead in early wars I believe you don't need ME, or if you find you do use TG's.

I did not know that laboratories was unaffected by BE that is news to me, however I can still se advantages in maxing BE early as in the maxing from last age, I wold suggest you go up to max from last age and from there only leave the scientists you abduct if they are sufficiently giving you a boost or there is no other categories you want to add them to.

I will probably start with the 20 in thievery and 10 in alchemy. Transition later into BE, military, and housing.
    What time in the age should I start abducting?

Veteran
    Depends on your KDs goals. I would start immediately OOP, but some others would want to grow first.

We mostly warred last age. And we are not growing OOP. Not too many KD goals as my kingdoms chatter is a little low so not too much direction.

Thread Information