Thread: Downtime

Administrator

Downtime

We'll experience several hours of downtime as we upgrade the servers to hopefully handle OOP better, and be able to handle an increase in players.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums

What kind of servers backend Uto?

Just curious?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom|BIO View Post
    What kind of servers backend Uto?

Just curious?
    It's hosted on AWS.

How do you like the performance and support you receive from AWS?
    As a sys admin myself, I wonder how you like losing some control, but hosting it with something as stable and powerful as AWS.

Administrator
    How do you like the performance and support you receive from AWS?
    As a sys admin myself, I wonder how you like losing some control, but hosting it with something as stable and powerful as AWS.
    It's really useful -- we don't use a ton of the fancy features for utopia, but not having to worry about the physical machines is a lifesaver.

But, in my day job we use a lot of the nicer features -- private HIPAA compliant cloud, easy up/down scaling of servers based on utilization (I'd love to set this up for utopia, but it requires significant re-structuring of the code), lambda for testing... the ability to really use a herd / cattle approach changes how you have to maintain the servers as well. Was recently looking at an RFP that was asking about AV/IDS systems and the realistic answer is that they aren't necessary because if you get a virus you nuke the server so you don't need all the crapware running on it. We made our changeover maybe a year ago now? I have a few of our servers sitting in storage because we don't need our private cage anymore.

Some of what netflix has done with the simian army is really interesting for AWS stability.

Then some of the other stuff is kinda interesting -- the ability to, for example, provision an AWS server with tableau instead of buying tableau licensing and putting it on a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffT View Post
    It's really useful -- we don't use a ton of the fancy features for utopia, but not having to worry about the physical machines is a lifesaver.

But, in my day job we use a lot of the nicer features -- private HIPAA compliant cloud, easy up/down scaling of servers based on utilization (I'd love to set this up for utopia, but it requires significant re-structuring of the code), lambda for testing... the ability to really use a herd / cattle approach changes how you have to maintain the servers as well. Was recently looking at an RFP that was asking about AV/IDS systems and the realistic answer is that they aren't necessary because if you get a virus you nuke the server so you don't need all the crapware running on it. We made our changeover maybe a year ago now? I have a few of our servers sitting in storage because we don't need our private cage anymore.

Some of what netflix has done with the simian army is really interesting for AWS stability.

Then some of the other stuff is kinda interesting -- the ability to, for example, provision an AWS server with tableau instead of buying tableau licensing and putting it on a machine.
    My day job is in the financial sector in the US, so the regulations keep us out of the cloud as much as possible.

Administrator
    My day job is in the financial sector in the US, so the regulations keep us out of the cloud as much as possible.
    Interesting. Even private clouds? Is financial data more locked down than HIPAA data? You have SSNs either way.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffT View Post
    Interesting. Even private clouds? Is financial data more locked down than HIPAA data? You have SSNs either way.
    Basically once you get above a certain level, you become "too big to fail" and once you hit that level. The government wants to dictate everything. Because of this, you get Cyber Security people who think that cloud = posting to torrents :)

So its less about the specific data, and more about what might become a compliance or audit issue. So they err on the side of extra cost/ less stability of in house.

Administrator
    Basically once you get above a certain level, you become "too big to fail" and once you hit that level. The government wants to dictate everything. Because of this, you get Cyber Security people who think that cloud = posting to torrents :)

So its less about the specific data, and more about what might become a compliance or audit issue. So they err on the side of extra cost/ less stability of in house.
    Ah, fair enough. Just amusing because HHS is using AWS for some of its' raw datafiles.

Administrator
    Derailing aside, Servers are back up as I'm sure you are all well aware!

We apologize the transfer to new servers took much longer than anticipated but we expect a significant increase in performance with the new hardware!
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Thread Information