Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The pump problem

The pump problem

So, here is a problem that I think I see in ghetto land now.

People like to pump. I understand that, I like to pump too. What happens is there are more people who don't know how than do. So you get a kingdom that is all 280 nwa waving and beating on all sorts of kingdoms and generally being kind of mean (yes, I know utopia is a cruel game and I love it that way). So the philosphy is as they hit, they get less pumped and eventually are unpumped enough that someone will war them. Maybe.

I know my little ghetto seems to have no problems finding wars being 195-250 nwa. Short hostile, nice war, no hurt feelings etc.

I don't have a solution to this "problem", merely the observation that it seems to make it harder for things to work casually. I don't think we want to discourage proper pumping because we hope that people learn how and move up and compete up top in time. I don't think we want to encourage poor play because that leads to boredom and long-term dissatisfaction with the game. Just the same the button baiting and beat-downs I am observing are kind of what I would call demoralizing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am just looking for some clarity and trying to mull over some ideas that maybe improve play.

I kinda feel like prosperous is terrible and simply should be abolished. Extend EoWCF one day longer and remove these pump stances completely.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

+1 on this
    "Respect the one who defends his land with bravery;
    Honor the price he pays to fufill his duty."

-DonJuan, The Legendary KaMiKaZe King
    WhatsApp +16264286874 | SC2/D3 BattleNet: DonJuan5420 | PSN: DonJuan5420

Age 54: #1 Land KD (HaLL of Heroes)
    Age 54: #1 NW KD (HaLL of Heroes)

Age 81: #1 Honor KD (The Faery Circle)
    Age 81: #1 WW KD (The Faery Circle)
    The Tactical Technical Institute

Enthusiast
    unfortunately most ghettos even with experienced players who are just less active can't seem to handle the prosperous thing and the elimination of real fort. the change is interesting and is first real challenge added in a long time. however as much as your player base claims to want change they really don't. the casual player can not seem to adapt. imo the whole prosperous thing will cause another 10% or so to leave the game. what's happening to this game is kind of like when that guy from apple who was suppose to be some superstar business guy and got the ceo job at jc penny. took those poor peoples coupons away and dealt a death blow to what was a struggling business.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheister View Post
    I kinda feel like prosperous is terrible and simply should be abolished. Extend EoWCF one day longer and remove these pump stances completely.
    I had this same idea, for similar reasons, and had a nice chat with David during freeze or thereabouts. He took the wrong stance pretty firmly. I think I made a post about it maybe, idk.

4 days EoWCF with shorter build/training time and then removal of prosperous would help this for sure.
    I suggested this before this age aswell
    Snakes
    PewPEW
    Divinity
    Emeriti

Non of my nubs speak for my KD

I like to post
    I think 4 days post war is optimal. Its not only about pump but people and special leaders need time to relax after intensive wars. So this time is really important for not burn out players and special leaders.
    Second i think Sheister look over stances very limited. Not every kingdom war. Many kingdoms have 1-2 wars per age and if you dont have stances give them option for pump they cant give any resistance to rest from server and its will result give up and leave game. We dont need it.
    “the mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

“I should've suspected trouble when the coffee failed to arrive.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

As an active player, I don't see a problem with prosperous stance. Yes, I am in ghetto kingdom.

Post Demon
    Prosperous is needed, get hit plenty of times in the tiny kingdoms, we retaliate and take land and we don't war. At one point I reached just outside t100 while being arround 400 for nw, getting more landfat means more hits and althougth cleric and my build helped sustain me I rarely can afford elites if not at a reduced cost simply because I need those defspecs comming in at a constant flow or even more hits will happen. We are talking 3-5 hits a day most of the time sometimes even more, and even when I can still gain more than I lose it only happens because of a sustainable build.

Prosperous is needed to allow for draft to catch up a bit, and atleast for the smallest of kingdoms it does result in less hits made on us, even if it is only slightly. Without it I might aswell have gone Bocan attacker, since I would not really have the funds to train elites at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Elit View Post
    I think 4 days post war is optimal. Its not only about pump but people and special leaders need time to relax after intensive wars. So this time is really important for not burn out players and special leaders.
    Second i think Sheister look over stances very limited. Not every kingdom war. Many kingdoms have 1-2 wars per age and if you dont have stances give them option for pump they cant give any resistance to rest from server and its will result give up and leave game. We dont need it.
    A lot of those kingdoms are not really helpful to the game anyways, in that they lack and motivation or mentorship for new players who get stuck there.

Others will do fine since they are mostly experienced players anyways.

Forum Addict
    Make eowcf 4 days long, shorter build and training time. Keep prosp.

Postaholic
    I sill feel Prosperous stance is required. But I feel that the cooldown period for prosperous stance should be extended perhaps 7-10 days. And the -20% gains to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elit View Post
    I don't know Elit. If we are thinking about the top, generally they have CFs, are left alone by the rest of the server and can effectively pump with no stance at all really. If we are thinking about disorganized ghetto kingdoms, placing them in a stance with the gains penalties as set is just ringing the dinner bell to discourage them from playing further.

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeLeague View Post
    I sill feel Prosperous stance is required. But I feel that the cooldown period for prosperous stance should be extended perhaps 7-10 days. And the -20% gains to be removed.
    What would you replace that with? There has to be a penalty for each stance other than normal or else there is no reason for normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Madchess View Post
    Prosperous is needed, get hit plenty of times in the tiny kingdoms, we retaliate and take land and we don't war. At one point I reached just outside t100 while being arround 400 for nw, getting more landfat means more hits and althougth cleric and my build helped sustain me I rarely can afford elites if not at a reduced cost simply because I need those defspecs comming in at a constant flow or even more hits will happen. We are talking 3-5 hits a day most of the time sometimes even more, and even when I can still gain more than I lose it only happens because of a sustainable build.

Prosperous is needed to allow for draft to catch up a bit, and atleast for the smallest of kingdoms it does result in less hits made on us, even if it is only slightly. Without it I might aswell have gone Bocan attacker, since I would not really have the funds to train elites at all.
    Do you think you would still need a pump stance if no one had a pump stance?
    Last edited by Sheister; 05-09-2017 at 11:59.
    "having fun warring when you have whoring and number 1 as a goal is totally pointless..." - Korp
    "while I heart shiester when we both play serious and are in the same kingdom, I hate shiester on the forums and pretty much disagree with everything he says. Even he knows this." - Flogger asking me out on a date

The devs have made a decision to kill competitive utopia and have thereby killed my interest with it.

Post Demon
    Just remember that eow length has significant race/pers balance implications.

Enthusiast
    I think most people who post in the forum forget what its like to be a brand new player. Most of us have played so long Utopia is like tieing our shoes. In saying that it's not just about shortened eowcf, ww land bonus, no ww science bonus, removal of fort which forced most cores to go undead who need to attack alot to create elites. It's a combo of those things that created a no win position for disorganised ghettos, brand new players or really any non undead core to pump . I kinda feel like Utopia has become a bad pizza where the owners just add more toppings every age without fixing the core issue such as a bad crust. My point is changes I mentioned are not bad individually but the combination of them have created a no win situation for disorganised ghettos and new players unless they went undead.....

I like to post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearted View Post
    I think most people who post in the forum forget what its like to be a brand new player. .....
    I remember it. People look island chart and try to move up in TOP 100. Its was really fun. One from main reason for Utopia to go down was when Mehul changed honor formula and killed chart for all Independent /solo kingdoms/provinces. From here game left "n00bs" with no chart and goal. Problem now is much more bigger. If you dont play in "good" kingdom you cant aim for any chart.
    “the mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

“I should've suspected trouble when the coffee failed to arrive.”
    ― Frank Herbert, Dune

Thread Information