Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove from Building Queue

Regular

Remove from Building Queue

Suggested this last round, Would love to see it implemented... very soon.

Again, i've put 300 theives dens into queue when I meant labs, and now have to wait 12 hours to build to torch, then rebuild putting me behind a full 24 hours.

inb4 "learn how to utopia bro"

This happens to everyone. There NEEDS to be a way to take buildings out of the queue that you have put in that tick. That would be a start. Then even further, take buildings out of queue, whenever you want, throw a penalty on there, i dont really care, just fix this. It's a frustrating mechanic that can easily be fixed!

Problem: Cant reassign buildings once they are in queue
    Solution: Allow for building reassignment during the same tick you have put the buildings into queue.

Very simple.

Post Fiend
    Like this a lot.

Maybe you can add an option to "raze" in-progress building, at a cost lower than razing completed building? Cost can be dependent on how long building has been in-progress, or can be fixed, say 70-80% of normal raze?

Quote Originally Posted by Regulate View Post
    Suggested this last round, Would love to see it implemented... very soon.

Again, i've put 300 theives dens into queue when I meant labs, and now have to wait 12 hours to build to torch, then rebuild putting me behind a full 24 hours.

inb4 "learn how to utopia bro"

This happens to everyone. There NEEDS to be a way to take buildings out of the queue that you have put in that tick. That would be a start. Then even further, take buildings out of queue, whenever you want, throw a penalty on there, i dont really care, just fix this. It's a frustrating mechanic that can easily be fixed!

Problem: Cant reassign buildings once they are in queue
    Solution: Allow for building reassignment during the same tick you have put the buildings into queue.

Very simple.
    No, this is a ****ty idea. If you want to implement this, we may as well have 'undue' buttons for 90% of things in Utopia.

You made a mistake - it happens. The reason you're inclined to feel a right to have the option to undue that mistake is because of the tick-based nature of it. But that is part of Utopia, when you make a mistake, whether it's building the wrong buildings or hitting the wrong target or wasting mana/runes/what have you on the wrong op/target, you always have to pay for it in time before you can correct or re-do it.

For the same reason I think that allowing the warroom to auto-fill according to defence is a terrible idea, I think this is a bad idea, because they remove the margin for human error which is inherently critical. As a strategy game it seems ridiculous that people not be given an opportunity to take advantage of their opponents time-costly errors, like building the wrong thing or inputting the wrong units for an attack.

Suck it up.

Postaholic
    For buildings, I agree. Let us raze under construction buildings for the cost of a raze. I don't want it to cover for human error though, I want it to recover from war faster. Nothing more annoying than having half your acres under construction for war buildings when you need to raze them as soon as they get in for econ buildings.

I don't think time was intentionally used as a punishment for mistakes as you said Pillz. I think the only reason we can't raze unfinished buildings is because mehul didn't know how to code it and nobody else bothered.

As long as the cost is right, I don't really see why it shouldn't be possible. Cost of a raze seems fair, possibly you could make it Barren Land incoming in 1 tick, rather than just unbuilt acres instantly.

Forum Fanatic
    Not Paying attention costs alot sometimes

Monsters

Fighting the world back Proudly since Age 35

#MONSTERS

Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    No, this is a ****ty idea. If you want to implement this, we may as well have 'undue' buttons for 90% of things in Utopia.

You made a mistake - it happens. The reason you're inclined to feel a right to have the option to undue that mistake is because of the tick-based nature of it. But that is part of Utopia, when you make a mistake, whether it's building the wrong buildings or hitting the wrong target or wasting mana/runes/what have you on the wrong op/target, you always have to pay for it in time before you can correct or re-do it.

For the same reason I think that allowing the warroom to auto-fill according to defence is a terrible idea, I think this is a bad idea, because they remove the margin for human error which is inherently critical. As a strategy game it seems ridiculous that people not be given an opportunity to take advantage of their opponents time-costly errors, like building the wrong thing or inputting the wrong units for an attack.

Suck it up.
    This is not even remotely close to "auto-fills" in war room, which is a bad idea.

The main problem and reason this happens often is because of poor UX/UI on the building screen, and is compounded worse by "mandatory" extensions and bots like munk where everything is in a single column with the input box far away from the actual name of the building you are wanting to create.

I dont see why it would be a big deal to be able to undo your building changes to the province DURING the same tick. Im not even asking for undo after the tick has occurred, but if I speed build whatever building, and realize it's the wrong building, there's no reason why i shouldnt be able to tell my peasants to stop swinging their hammers when technically their hammers havent even swung yet, when currently, i have to eat the cost of potentially hundred of thousand gc and more importantly time.

Regular
    More to my point, being able to revert building queue during same tick has zero effect on anything that can happen to your province from inside or outside sources. What? You going to allow more or less pop space for an hour when none of the effects of the pop space will occur until tick? This is a no brainer that doesn't effect fair play of the game, when the root of the problem is the UX/UI of the game itself not the user. Going to act like you've never done it? We've all played this game long enough to admit that we have.

Forum Fanatic
    I did it once years ago. It taught me to pay attention to what i was doing.

Monsters

#MONSTERS

Regular
    Of course you did.

Forum Fanatic
    So are you basically saying that you keep making the same mistake over and over again .I dont think the game is designed to or can help with that

Monsters

#MONSTERS

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    Nothing more annoying than having half your acres under construction for war buildings when you need to raze them as soon as they get in for econ buildings.
    Yeah, even if not implemented as a general feature I think being able to raze/cancel in progress buildings would be a good perk to add to EOWCF.

Post Fiend
    It would be nice for the growing population of phone players.

Post Demon
    There are technically pop checks that occur mid tick relating to overpop, and maybe others I can't think of. Also, for dwarf, raze is basically free, and build is free. I support the change... but it does have an impact at all, even if I judge it to be an irrelevant impact.

I really don't understand the "make it so it is easy to make errors" camp. While it'd be epic for you to go connect to the game using morse code - why? Sure, it makes errors more common, but some of us have a life we balance with the game and are logging in during small windows while on the go. If you win the "be more a- retentive" award... does that really actually make you happy or something? I know I'd rather have a good fight. (Now... if you meant to do something that was stupid... that's different, I love pouncing on those!)

My battlefield is the mind, not the ability to click a box more reliably.
    it's vs. its is ambiguous - from now on I'm attempting to use the proper possessive it's, and the contraction 'tis. (Its will just be the plural.)

Think Different

Post Fiend
    I understand and agree in part with Pillz on some issues, the game shouldn't be made easier because of human error, I now understand that my suggestion about war room was rather silly because of the simple don't select target option which I fell into automatically, but the only reason I can see this being advantageous is during EOWCF when you play as if you're still in war and build acres according to war strat but then find out other kd has finally withdrawn, obviously if you know your kd will withdraw then the decision to build war strat is on you, so there's that.

If implemented I don't see why it should be cheaper than normal raze, if anything the same price, if in the unlikely event it's implemented as a general option there should be some penalty and again don't like the idea that it's cheaper than normal raze.

When you actually think about it, why can't you demolish a half-built building, it seems silly to suggest that you have to wait until it's completed to then demolish it? Yes this isn't reality it's a fantasy strategy game and part of that is maybe to have the ability to alter your mid-build according to a given situation which would actually add an extra element to the game, as long as there are things in place to prevent abuse, maybe a cool-down after your initial mid-build raze?

I remember playing shepherd back in the day and loved the fast build-time with BB that allowed for rapid change of build strat, so maybe instead of a razing buildings in progress option introduce a reduced build time for one of the personalities that needs bolstering? Having said that dwarves might become too powerful but then again they are so nerfed atm hardly anyone is playing them <2% of the server compared to ~37% undead!

Thread Information