Thread: Question about amount of troops deserting when in overpop

Question about amount of troops deserting when in overpop

I have always thought that when you are in overpop that gaining acres is a good thing and will lower the amount of troops that will desert.
    But that is not correct with what is actually happening and I wonder why.

Can someone explain to me that when you gain 56 acres in a tick , you lose more troops from desertion?

The following happened:
    March 3 of YR4 464 men deserted our military due to housing shortages!

March 3 an army returns with 56 acres. I didn't build them so they are still barren.Then the following tick I see this news flash:
    March 4 of YR4 659 men deserted our military due to housing shortages!

I didn't lose acres , I didn't receive soldiers as aid on the 3rd, so I wonder why I lose about 200 more troops by gaining acres?
    I would expect I would be in less overpop and thus less troop desertion.

So I hope someone can explain the mechanics behind this.

It is quite possible to gain 56, or even 100s of acres from returning armies, and still be overpopulated.

You have to check you State page and compare your Total vs Max Population...

You can find detailed description of desertions here; http://wiki.utopia-game.com/index.ph...Overpopulation

I would have to guess that the reason you lost more when your army returned, is that your army remained at home. If your troops are out on an Attack, they cannot desert. Only troops that are left home will be able to desert, usually this means thieves and DefSpecs. But if your Elites and/or OffSpecs return home and are there during the tick, they too will desert at the amount determined by the metric.
    Last edited by RattleHead; 13-09-2017 at 21:30.

Ah yes, I kept that army home since it was smallish and needed my armies back together. Thanks that explains the higher desertion perfectly well :)

Regular
    This is, imo, a bug, if, what you say is accurate. Gaining 56 acres means that, unbuilt, you gain 840 to your max pop, which lowers your over pop percentage. An over pop of 15% causes a desertion rate of the difference by 20% of your total military (including thieves) after the 7% peasantry loss. Which means that it's impossible to have a heightened military loss given your pronounced reality. Unless, for some reason, you increased your total pop (by means of kidnapping).

Give your support ID as I'm more than interested to see what Bishop has to say.

Post Demon
    that is simply how it works, I'm sure someone who figured out the numbers once gave me what rate each troop type is deserting by, it varies from thieves, specs and elites, I just have forgotten those numbers completely.

Regular
    the desertion rate by troop type formula is a known thing, it's outlined in the guide.

Cnt, I believe Rattle head is correct. The army returning was 1K in troops which was more than 50% of the army that stood home in thieves,def specs and soldiers.
    And the 56 acres gained didn't cover that enough. Which caused me to lose more troops that tick then the tick before. And after the 56 acres I was still in overpop big time.
    Last edited by Psychodad; 14-09-2017 at 00:28.

Thread Information