Thread: Tools of the trade

Scribe

Tools of the trade

In order to make Utopia a more fair environment it's important that all players know which tools are okay to use and which ones are not.

gathering information from another thread,this is what I have so far. Please do add more information :)

personal computer or cell phones into your own account are obviously okay

Proxies/VPN are against the rules regardless if it's your own or someone else's account you log in

Teamviewer is okay to use to log into your own account remotely.

Logging into your own account from another device(such as a friend's computer) that has been used for another account isn't specifically against the rules I think but can end in deletion, at the very least your in game actions will somewhat be limited.

Logging in from the same IP address as another player, even if it is your own device you are using and you are logging into your own account, isn't specifically against the rules but can end in deletion, at the very least your in game actions will somewhat be limited.

Some 3rd party tools for intel sharing are allowed for use. How the intel is shared and with whom is largely up to the providers of such services if I understand that correctly

Communication is strongly encouraged in and outside of the game

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodwitch View Post
    Logging in from the same IP address as another player, even if it is your own device you are using and you are logging into your own account, isn't specifically against the rules but can end in deletion, at the very least your in game actions will somewhat be limited.
    Changes say IP blocks are changing.

Some 3rd party tools for intel sharing are allowed for use. How the intel is shared and with whom is largely up to the providers of such services if I understand that correctly
    I don't think any 3rd party Intel sharing sites are against the rules. Not sure what you're excluding with "some"

Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Changes say IP blocks are changing.

I don't think any 3rd party Intel sharing sites are against the rules. Not sure what you're excluding with "some"
    to be honest I haven't even looked at the changes, still on the fence if I even want to play anymore. Feel free to tell people that playing on the same IP address as long as each plays their own account will be okay and won't limit their game play if that is the case. This is a discussion.

And you are right, the "some" may have been bad choice of words. Seem to recall at least one site being banned though now that I think about it , it was a target finder not an intel site I believe.

He wasnt banned for the targetfinder, he was banned cause he sent death threats amongst others to admins :P

Post Demon
    some sites exclude this forum I think

Administrator
    Things that are allowed:
    Logging into your own account (from anywhere, at any time).
    Third party intel sites.
    Third party communication software.
    Other third party sites.

Things that are not allowed:
    Logging into someone else's account (from anywhere, at any time).
    Violating TOS to monetize third party sites without permission (this refers to section 2i of the rules). The specific concern we had that got someone's access revoked was enabling a third party who was in violation of their advertising agreement, and was circumventing their continual bans by the advertising provider.
    Taking advantage of kingdom feed information to feed false data into others' third party intel sites (that'll get you removed from access to the intel feed). The target finder that was banned engaged in this and the above.
    Breaking the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffT View Post
    Things that are allowed:
    Logging into your own account (from anywhere, at any time).
    Third party intel sites.
    Third party communication software.
    Other third party sites.

Logging into someone else's account (from anywhere, at any time).
    Violating TOS to monetize third party sites without permission (this refers to section 2i of the rules). The specific concern we had that got someone's access revoked was enabling a third party who was in violation of their advertising agreement, and was circumventing their continual bans by the advertising provider.
    Taking advantage of kingdom feed information to feed false data into others' third party intel sites (that'll get you removed from access to the intel feed). The target finder that was banned engaged in this and the above.
    Breaking the rules.
    So you are legalizing proxy use once more?

Thank you Zauper <3

Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    So you are legalizing proxy use once more?

Thank you Zauper <3

Breaking the rules....

Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post

Breaking the rules....
    "Things that are allowed:
    Logging into your own account (from anywhere, at any time)."

Should supercede the ban, as proxies are sometimes required by work, or to circumvent work.

Should supercede the ban, as proxies are sometimes required by work, or to circumvent work.
    Didnt say by any means possible.

Administrator

The rules currently state:
    If you have no choice but to use proxy servers made compulsory by your Internet Service Provider, country or corporation, you must provide details and supporting evidence to the operators of the game before continuing to use the game. Exceptions may be made at the sole discretion of the operators of the game, and may be revoked at any time without notice.
    If you need a proxy to circumvent work or for other reasons (ISP, country -- some countries require a proxy) to access your account, that is generally acceptable.

The issue with proxies come when people are using them to access other people's accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffT View Post
    The rules currently state:

If you need a proxy to circumvent work or for other reasons (ISP, country -- some countries require a proxy) to access your account, that is generally acceptable.

The issue with proxies come when people are using them to access other people's accounts.
    Obviously you're not looking at the situation the wrong way if you think that's an issue?

It encourages more people to play when they can share their accounts easily with kd mates

Scribe
    still leaves the question if shared IPs will still be limited in their game play?
    Should people that for example work or go to School with other Utopians use teamviewer instead of logging in directly?

Thread Information