Huge feels

Regular
    I always wanted to be in that kingdom.

Director of Age Changes
    Can we send them taunting banners?
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Enthusiast
    Can we deal break them? :)

It's a KD of provinces in protection. I guess you can taunt it.
    Age 65 - FreeakStyle - FeyrPlay Alliance Win - Dwarves Stole My Bike
    Age 66 - FreeakStyle - #1 Honor & Warring Kingdom - Making FS Great Again
    Age 67 - BeastBlood - #1 Honor Human(Prince) - Steve from Walmart
    Age 68 - BeastBlood ft OldSchool - #1 Honor Kingdom & Avian - We Are All Feyr
    Age 69 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Kingdom in The History of Utopia - Clever Use of Words
    Age 70 - Ancient Spartans - #1 Land(25325 acres) & NW Faery - Spartan of Redeeming Qualities

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsMatija View Post
    It's a KD of provinces in protection. I guess you can taunt it.
    And taunt it I shall.

Also, is this merger bull regarding smaller kingdoms mandatory?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    And taunt it I shall.

Also, is this merger bull regarding smaller kingdoms mandatory?
    Complete details are not fully decided at the moment while we evaluate feedback on the subject.

My position is that the game is designed to be played at Kingdom size of 25 and all Kingdoms should strive to reach that number to be competitive. Kingdoms that stay small in province number are this way normally for 1 of 2 reasons; 1) they don't have anyone there to lead, or do but can't get the potential active players to commit and start building the Kingdom up; or 2) they are purposely staying small in number to take advantage of RKDNW mechanics against larger Kingdoms. Both of these reasons are reason enough for me to merge these Kingdoms to build full size Kingdoms that can begin playing the game as designed.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@Utopia-Game.com

Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

Come join the MUGA Community on Discord: https://discord.gg/NZ4KywF

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Complete details are not fully decided at the moment while we evaluate feedback on the subject.

My position is that the game is designed to be played at Kingdom size of 25 and all Kingdoms should strive to reach that number to be competitive. Kingdoms that stay small in province number are this way normally for 1 of 2 reasons; 1) they don't have anyone there to lead, or do but can't get the potential active players to commit and start building the Kingdom up; or 2) they are purposely staying small in number to take advantage of RKDNW mechanics against larger Kingdoms. Both of these reasons are reason enough for me to merge these Kingdoms to build full size Kingdoms that can begin playing the game as designed.
    Are you guys seriously holding on to the 25 prov is the optimal KD size? A shrinking player base over the years has led to less and less KDs, meaning less competition. I think it is seriously time to look at 15 or 20 man provs (maybe shrink slowly over time... 22 to 20 to 17 or something). Obviously this will need a lot of fleshing out, but as a long time player who has recently come back to the game, I would love to see this at least discussed and evaluated.

Forum Addict
    My position is that the game is designed to be played at Kingdom size of 25 and all Kingdoms should strive to reach that number to be competitive.
    The game *was* designed to be played at Kingdom size of 25, maybe back when you were just another player (well, one of the better players) in one of those 25-province kingdoms, but that was back when the player base could support it. Now you've got a bunch of 25-province kingdoms consisting of the best Utopia has to offer, a boatload of 22/23/24-province kingdoms with a lot of skilled players but still a few turnovers each age so never at full strength for an entire age, then a whole mess of <22-province kingdoms consisting of maybe a few skilled players trying to put together a halfway competitive roster from the shallow end of the player pool.

I came back to the throne a few ages ago and tried to assemble a roster of decent players to compete with. I got lucky with a few, I recruited a few over the course of the age, but for the most part, I've probably never managed to get over 15 truly worthwhile players to join or stay in a newly formed kingdom with nothing but potential and a tiny resume. This, however, is a social problem more than it is a player base problem.

Good players will stay with you if they like your leadership style. I've only lost a few good players over those three ages, all to bigger and better kingdoms, but mostly I've lost mediocre and uncommitted players who just can't stay "into the game" at the level needed to grow a competitive kingdom. When you're competing for players with pre-existing kingdoms who have mostly full stable rosters, you're rarely going to win. I've managed to hold on to my core out of shear force of will and dedication to leading the kingdom (and threats upon their families but let's not digress). I put a lot into my kingdom against the odds to keep it running, but there's only so much you can do before the worthwhile player pool just gets too dry because they're all filling in single empty spots in established 22+ province kingdoms. The rich get richer, the poor stay poor.

So when you talk about merging two small kingdoms in an effort to make them competitive, you're missing the point. You're not combining all good players with all good players. You're combining two struggling kingdoms who haven't been able to hold on to or recruit enough good players as it is. You're combining maybe 10 total good players and just as many weak links and low activity players, destined to continue to bring down their new kingdom just as they've brought down their old one. Often you'll just be handing one kingdom a bunch of inactives from a smaller nothing kingdom. Merging is just too unpredictable.

The competitive players have homes already. They're settled in with their mates. The smaller kingdoms who fit reason #1 you described will not magically become competitive if you merge them with other struggling kingdoms. On a scale of 1 to 10, if you merge two 5's then all you have are a larger group of 5's, all of which now have to go through leadership fights and personality adjustments and have no guarantees that the merger won't end up just fragmenting the new kingdom into bits.

Smaller kingdom sizes spreads the already thin competitive player base across more kingdoms. It would ideally be done over several ages, with big kingdoms losing players and simply not being allowed to fill empty provinces until all kingdoms are at a max of 20 provinces.

But if you have 15 good players and get merged with a KD that has 5 you then have 20?

Forum Addict
    Which kingdom has only 5 provinces that are good players and aren't only 5 provinces for a reason? 15-player kingdoms will get merged with small kingdoms full of inactives if this mechanic is automated. Frankly if kingdoms fill up to 22 at the start of the age anyways, just how many kingdoms down to already 5 provinces do you expect there to be? Kingdoms that struggle to fill their ranks early on will be handed more messes than messiahs.

But this is off topic, sorry I just went with it, we should probably get back on topic.

um nice meme pam. missing TS somewhere in there however.

Kingdoms that stay small in province number are this way normally for 1 of 2 reasons; 1) they don't have anyone there to lead, or do but can't get the potential active players to commit and start building the Kingdom up; or 2) they are purposely staying small in number to take advantage of RKDNW mechanics against larger Kingdoms.
    Force merging kingdoms that want to play on their own is a poor idea. Your not appealing to the casual player when you force them to play in a large group; some people just prefer to be in a small group period. Fact of the matter is, the game really can't afford to just toss out players -- it needs to keep all the players it currently has... and forcing them to play in large groups even when they do not want too is going to force those out.

Reason 3.) the Kingdom just wants to play with friends.
    Reason 4.) Kingdom wants to take a an age off and just "chill"

Lots more reasons.
    #magi

So you want to punish ghettos and make it even harder to make something of a new kd. You never played in ghettos if you think this approach is helpful its rather the opposite. Should get a better grasp of the Utopian community before you make things up that you Think is good for the game.

Thread Information