Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Science diminishing returns

Science diminishing returns

I didn't play for the last few ages but I'm thinking about going back for the next one as a t/m. Does anyone know the diminishing returns on the science? All I have is some raw data from KD mates but it's not enough for accurate calculations.

I am working on a curve right now; not a huge variety of info in it yet, so not sure of the reliability, and the rounding on science page is annoying too!

y = 1.018054e^-0.006045x (ONLY ACCURATE UP TO ~60 points over the cap ... I have an updated curve below)

where y is the effectiveness of the category in question, and x is the number of skill points over the cap in that category.

recruit = 0 skill points
    novice = 1 skill point
    graduate = 1.5 skill points
    professor = 2 skill points

in a few days ill probably create more data points by moving/stacking a lot of science in couple categories
    Last edited by RattleHead; 05-11-2017 at 02:20. Reason: i got some more data, updated equation

Stealing some info from the Utopia Talk thread, I had to change from exponential to a polynomial description... Obviously this can't be right because it starts to curve back up eventually- but it should be fairly accurate up to at least the point where X = 180. This 180 value represents 90 (ninety) Professors over the category's cap... If you get substantially beyond this point let me know :P

Y =[1.9*(10^-5)]X^2 - [6.35*(10^-3)]X + 1.02

Where;
    X = # of Skill Points above the cap of the category in question
    Y = The effectiveness of the category in question
    Last edited by RattleHead; 05-11-2017 at 02:21.

Thanks for the posts.

I used the last formula you provide with 5 profs and got 0.988725 but does this apply to all categories? Different categories have different multiplayer is it ignored?

Post Fiend
    Did you plot them separately? I'm thinking it's much easier and based on % over cap. That would give a slightly different curve for each category.

I've been plotting them all together, and it seems more to more or less follow the same curve from what I can see. You could be right that the curve is slightly different for each category, but I am pretty lazy, and this seems fairly accurate so far :)

Each category is separate, going over the cap in one does not change effect in any others. Category in Question only
    Last edited by RattleHead; 04-11-2017 at 13:56.

Okay, so based on what you've said, the 10th professor past the cap in a category is still getting about 85% of the effect of the "below-cap" professors, (your two functions plots very close together).

Am I reading this right? I thought the returns diminished much quicker than this!

Post Fiend
    Really, because if so, I'm dumping 45 scientists into my Dwarf Sage as we speak.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
    Stealing some info from the Utopia Talk thread, I had to change from exponential to a polynomial description... Obviously this can't be right because it starts to curve back up eventually- but it should be fairly accurate up to at least the point where X = 180. This 180 value represents 90 (ninety) Professors over the category's cap... If you get substantially beyond this point let me know :P

Y =[1.9*(10^-5)]X^2 - [6.35*(10^-3)]X + 1.02

Where;
    X = # of Skill Points above the cap of the category in question
    Y = The effectiveness of the category in question
    I started to try and figure this out last age by looking at only military on my undead sage. I went up to 44 profs in that catagory and then reassigned them one at a time to other catagories and noted the percentages each time. Do you want these numbers? I gave up on trying to do anything with it.

Thanks, but I am confident I have enough data, up to the x = 180 mark anyways... If you get more than that this Age drop me some info at that point!

which formula is accurate up to 180 skill points?
    They diverge a lot at 180. (90 professors). one shows about 50% effect and the other 34%.

I repeat, are you sure these are correct? I didn't do any math last age but I thought I was seeing a drop of 50% effectiveness as early as the 10th professor. That contrasts sharply with the formulas you've posted.

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by luke3 View Post
    I started to try and figure this out last age by looking at only military on my undead sage. I went up to 44 profs in that catagory and then reassigned them one at a time to other catagories and noted the percentages each time. Do you want these numbers? I gave up on trying to do anything with it.
    I would love those numbers

Gift me blocks of data and I'll sort it out! It's surely some variety of root function.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Post Fiend
    C/T * (T-C) + C = overall science effect is probably a good place to start. they like simple stuff like that.

C=cap
    T=total

May I kindly ask the people who have data to share the raw data they had? It'll make this process a lot easier :P

Especially because even if we find the exact formula, when you actually play the game, you'll probably say something like "Ok, the Xth professor after the max will be 50% effective" to yourself and that will probably be the only thing you will remember and need to remember as you play the game. If the formula is indeed too weird (although I doubt that would be the case), at least the raw data can give us the value of X.

Thread Information