Thread: Current Meta for Mages

Current Meta for Mages

I have played mage for the past few ages with a play style of mostly casting FB and MS, and doing limited thievery ops and attacks on chainees during wars. This strategy has performed reasonably well in the past, but the effectiveness seems to have dwindled in the past few ages.

Given the reduced power of mages due to the various nerfs on mages over the past few ages which will not be discussed here, I am wondering if this play style is still the way forward, or has the meta evolved?

Also, is the role of a mage still relevant in the current and next age, or its role been superceded by thieves entirely?

Quote Originally Posted by lightnemesis View Post
    Given the reduced power of mages due to the various nerfs on mages over the past few ages which will not be discussed here, I am wondering if this play style is still the way forward, or has the meta evolved?
    It's not viable.

Also, is the role of a mage still relevant in the current and next age, or its role been superceded by thieves entirely?
    I think it is in certain setups. The mage has bonus on instant spells which makes tornadoes and fb more powerful. Imo next age mages should forget about covering ms on attackers and focus more on enemy's rogues.

Strategy Moderator
    personally i think your style of mage is very viable, even next age. The only difficulty is resisting AW or getting chained. Couple that with the need to run whats probubly 30% WT, enough towers to cast and forts to be safe your going to constantly be low on build space. However if u can get safe focusing on MS/FB is still probubly one of the stronger ways to use a mage. If u cant get/stay safe running more as an attacker who does a MS wave right as war starts then either needs to be AW'ed, or chained->massed, is still a decent option, u'll just ALWAYS feel worthless in war.

Post Fiend
    MS does way too much damage not to focus on it. Elf Mystic is designed for that very role.

Needs to get out more
    It's about how you focus strategically. Think of things in terms of funneling, obstacles/points of resistance, flanking, economy etc.

You know your mystics are subject to AW/prop/sab and massacre so your strategy can be based in the stealth, mana and army expenditure of your enemies. This is why I drew out a system of triangulation in one of The Virtual Kingdom posts.

You can emphasize timed objectives for certain fields of battle. Remember that wpa/tpa is relative to the enemy so you may still be effective at lower wpa because you've hurt your enemy likewise. This applies at all times, not just in war. Meter expertise, intel gathering and attention to potential enemy posture can help. This is why I've suggested every province in a kingdom be assigned to SN once per day on a specific kingdom; you can see the engagements of say 25 kingdoms and access the prevailing landscape beyond those 25.

When you build your attacker core imagine who will be meter efficient, who can camp, who is ideal to retal. Is it necessary for all attackers to be offensive juggernauts or could you use deeper metrics to broaden your grip on a nw/acre bulge?

Knowing this: your wizards are vulnerable so make it a hard thing to do. Not that you can stop wizard depletion but that you make it/them a spearhead that you can cutoff through violent counter measures. You can look at it as a trap play. And if they don't go after your wizards, use them.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 03-11-2017 at 20:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Post Fiend
    I think pure mage play is obsolete these days. Any duration spell is easily countered by MV. As for defensive spells against magic, we now have RM, Magic Shield and the Paladin Shield spell, and they can all be stacked. 3 razes on your province and it will cripple you in four ways: Towers, guilds and WTs. This means that you can't cast your spells because you dont have runes, your spells are weak, you are prone to AW and you cannot retrain those wizards quickly. once AWed. Wanna rebuild those buildings? You dont have building credits. GG.

Enthusiast
    Nothing has changed for mystics, you cast spells on people, train defense and landlust when hit. Battling back rogues has always been a losing battle for mystics, but that's why you roll in packs. Anyways I princed last age playing in a ghetto. Next highest rank was marquis seeing we only won three wars. I got hit like 100 times last age yet still princed. It's all about who is running the mystic. ;)

Needs to get out more
    I've had luck going drunken master Jackie Chan style. You trade UB for the peekaboo shell game. It really works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearted View Post
    Nothing has changed for mystics, you cast spells on people, train defense and landlust when hit. Battling back rogues has always been a losing battle for mystics, but that's why you roll in packs. Anyways I princed last age playing in a ghetto. Next highest rank was marquis seeing we only won three wars. I got hit like 100 times last age yet still princed. It's all about who is running the mystic. ;)
    Playing a mage, or mystic in your case, can undoubtedly bring you to the upper echelons of the honor ranks, especially if your kingdom has a sound magic strategy and draw the first trigger against the rogues.

Allow me rephrase the questions in the context of a mage province in a kingdom with a slightly more casual playing style.

1. Is FB and MS the best use for mana for a mage/mystic in a war? If not, what do you suggest is the most powerful magic strategy in a war?

2. Is it better to replace a mage doing FB and MS with a thief/rogue doing kidnap and NS/prop, and do away with mages entirely based on my assumption that a thief/rogue can remain operational for a longer period during war?

Postaholic
    Playing a mage, or mystic in your case, can undoubtedly bring you to the upper echelons of the honor ranks, especially if your kingdom has a sound magic strategy and draw the first trigger against the rogues.

Allow me rephrase the questions in the context of a mage province in a kingdom with a slightly more casual playing style.

1. Is FB and MS the best use for mana for a mage/mystic in a war? If not, what do you suggest is the most powerful magic strategy in a war?

2. Is it better to replace a mage doing FB and MS with a thief/rogue doing kidnap and NS/prop, and do away with mages entirely based on my assumption that a thief/rogue can remain operational for a longer period during war?
    Rogues will have issues breaking other rogues. In a heavy rogue meta, mystics are indeed very vulnerable, but also an edge versus their very own nemesis. It's a stone-paper-scissors game :)
    RoughKnecS

--> Want art? <--
    --> Or see Tadpole banners? <--

The industrys greats

** Cerberus ** Killah ** Shadowheart **

Post Fiend
    Since mana usage is flat rate now, I think instant spells are more damaging than duration spells now.

Thread Information