Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unban Binar

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why is posting "obvious fw" a ban btw? What harm to the utopian community did that bring? Failed game mechanics bring more harm to the game than someone posting a meme in the forums lulz, reeeeeee
    The answer to this was posted above. Here's the reason:

Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Binar was not the only person who's "clear fw" post I deleted. He was however the only one that decided to try and post it another 4 times. Such action is clearly deserving of a ban.
    A guide to SW's posts

Regular text = SW as a player
    Bold = SW as a mod (used for mod requests, warnings, etc.)
    Green = Someone messed up the regular and bold text and had to get edited/warned/banned.

Director of Age Changes
    Because the point of removing off topic material is to help facilitate discussion and having 6 "real" posts and 5 "<removed> posts doesn't do that.
    You mean just like... having 6 'real' posts and not 5 posts and a TSwift gif facilitates discussion?
    Discord: Hex | IRC: Hextor / Avenger

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Wolfie View Post
    I could be wrong but I have never seen any of those posts deleted or anyone warned for something like that. Why suddenly go super strict when it has no negative impact on the forum? Are you guys just trying to get people to stop posting and have even less interest in the game?

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    I didn't go super strict. I believe 3 other people also had similar posts removed. No one else was banned. Binar wasn't banned for posting "clear fw" and trying to make it seem that way is disingenuous

A gif is like an emoticon, just usually funnier. As long as it's they aren't spammed on consecutive posts, it has as much, if not more, value to a conversation as a "lol" or "What is the purpose of this post?" or a "nwm" response
    A guide to SW's posts

Regular text = SW as a player
    Bold = SW as a mod (used for mod requests, warnings, etc.)
    Green = Someone messed up the regular and bold text and had to get edited/warned/banned.

Post Fiend
    Because the point of removing off topic material is to help facilitate discussion and having 6 "real" posts and 5 "<removed> posts doesn't do that.

I like to do the <removed> posts when someone has posted something objectionable/reported it so that the people that wanted it actioned can actually see that it was actioned and as a visual reminder to other posters that they should be following the rules.

Having 1 post removed and thinking maybe something weird happened so you repost it. Yeah, I could see being upset with getting a sudden ban. I could even see it if it happened twice. But after 4 or 5 posts of the same thing being posted and removed, its pretty clear that Binar wasn't randomly trying to post a forum trope and was suddenly banned for no good reason. If he wanted to ask me why I was deleting his posts I would have been glad to tell him with no action needed.

I banned someone for 24 hours for spamming off topic posts over 3 threads. It's not like I perbanned him for saying Taylor Swift is a <EDITTED>
    1) Your post contains inappropriate language and breaks the following rule: "* Posts containing inappropriate language or content."

2) There are about 8 non-contributing posts here that don't relate to the topic that haven't been cleaned up. So yes, I think that you were targeting an individual. In fact, going across all the topics that Binar would have spammed "clear fw" there are handfuls of comments unrelated to the topic that have not been removed or edited.

Post Fiend
    Taylor Swift is a [content removed]
    unbelievable
    Last edited by Sassy_Wolfie; 25-11-2017 at 05:18. Reason: quoted language removed

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Wolfie View Post
    He typed "fake war" over and over and you deleted said message over and over, who's the real fascist here?

Just because you don't like what someone else has said in the forums, hall monitor, doesn't mean you have the right to automatically delete their message. Stalin, hitler, is that you back from the grave? You are not running a dictatorship, u are a person put in charge of holding a forum, of which less than 4k people in an 8 billion world population, in charge of. Don't get super cop on us, you do not deserve that title and never will.

Enthusiast
    I didn't go super strict. I believe 3 other people also had similar posts removed. No one else was banned. Binar wasn't banned for posting "clear fw" and trying to make it seem that way is disingenuous
    What I'm saying is why was it suddenly decide that a common forum saying was suddenly against the rules?

Forum Fanatic
    Just a few things

1. I attempt to post regularly and pretty much never swing the ban hammer and people complain that that I'm not a welcomed poster and that I need to enforce the rules. So I decide to shut up and enforce the rules and the same people complain that I've now chosen to enforce the rules. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy nut, but it seems people don't so much have a problem with my moderation as much as they do with me personally. ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

2. I applied the rule fairly to everyone. Binar was not the only person who's "clear fw" post I deleted. He was however the only one that decided to try and post it another 4 times. Such action is clearly deserving of a ban.

3. I've decided it's in my best interest to have a lower profile. Had you given it more than 24 hours before the pitchforks and torches were brought out you'd notice me butting out of game-related discussions

4. Have a swirvey day :)
    Much of your posts are toxic and not based on experience. You make negative comments and get involved in game politics. You keep telling people to "adapt" without ever having played this game at the level that they have. You make silly comments that someone got "outplayed" when people egregiously cheated or broken deals.

You need to detach yourself from the above things or you need to stop moderating.

You are not really taken seriously by the community because you do the following things. Mods are not supposed to be getting into arguments with users and trash talking them (especially ones that did not really excel at the game).

Forum Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    We've only just had a recent discussion regarding a new direction in forum moderation concerning all the negative things people are mentioning here that have gone on for a long time with seemingly no recourse.
    In order to begin the road to a more positive environment we need to take the first step. Steps are small while starting to run, you don't start running without small steps first.

If there are people who feel they can do just what Proteus so eloquently described by joining the moderation team I would be willing to give you an opportunity.
    1. Are you going to prevent Korp from trolling and baiting / provoking others?
    2. Are you going to tell Palem to stop getting involved in game politics and trash talking?

That is the low hanging fruit and things most forum users actually have taken issue against rather than "clear fw"

Did we ever figure out who those fake-warring ghettos were? I sent Binar to ask but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    What I'm saying is why was it suddenly decide that a common forum saying was suddenly against the rules?
    It's less "I've decided that X is against the rules" and more "We really need to start buckling down and enforcing the rules"

My philosophy has always been to just let things go until I absolutely need to step in. Both the community and ownership have voiced complaints about the "boys will be boys" approach so it's changing. It's really not any more complicated than that.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    Did we ever figure out who those fake-warring ghettos were? I sent Binar to ask but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.
    I figured it out who these respectable KDs that are putting on a clear legitimate war are

Enthusiast
    It's less "I've decided that X is against the rules" and more "We really need to start buckling down and enforcing the rules"

My philosophy has always been to just let things go until I absolutely need to step in. Both the community and ownership have voiced complaints about the "boys will be boys" approach so it's changing. It's really not any more complicated than that.
    No offense, but that is stupid. I haven't seen anyone in the community complain about that type of posting. Over moderation is the best way to kill a forum.

Thread Information