Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Utopia

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
    What players is it going to attract?

Serious question. Don't you think they have tried to attract new players before? I can guarantee it's not the forum holding the game back.
    I'm going to call you out on that guarantee, it's a reckless claim and I'm sure you're just using the word flippantly.

No, to be honest, I have not seen any effective recruitment efforts in the past. I have seen a few half-hearted attempts and a bunch of "claims" from previous admins, but it was clear that nothing major was being undertaken.

Plus, the game was not structurally sound in the past. It was not a game that could say "my owners are invested in me" to any new player who showed up, which is actually a quality that gamers commonly look for in something that they will invest their own time into.

The game is different now. Argue that point all you like, but between the broadcasts and the meaningful changes, and now this harder stance on community misbehavior, it is not hard to see that there is a level of investment in this game that it hasn't seen in a long time. Not just in the game but in the community, where it's been needed the most for ages. That's something new players notice. You may not look for that, maybe you're just a generally pessimistic person, who knows, but I can tell you that it's something important to new players who want to take a game seriously. Utopia has it now more than it ever has, dating back to Mehul, so comparing any past efforts to recruit new players to what recruitment can produce currently is apples and oranges. Just wait and see.

Enthusiast Zombies are people too's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by octobrev View Post
    Diverse strategies and mathematical rigor are what make uto special.
    This is where the older, more experienced veteran players would and should step up and offer their insights and knowledge of the game to new players instead of debating silly things and arguing over events that happened a decade or so ago.

-DM <3
    Co-host of the daily talk thread "Meme-Dumpster-Fire"
    The House of Eargasms has moved to Discord! Come Join the MUTINY!!!

#MUTINY-FM
    https://discord.gg/Y76paHZ

H.O.E
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...se-of-Eargasms

Forum Addict
    I think we just generally don't like seeing strategy stripped out of the game as a means of pandering to people that log in every other day. There are already plenty of FarmVille type games where people click around and spend time with their friends. Diverse strategies and mathematical rigor are what make uto special.
    And many of the players (not all) who thrive on this strategic foundation are the very same players who have been slowly killing this game from the inside. Where do you draw the line? Which do you prefer to keep?

How do you continue to support a player base (the strategy junkies who double as awful human beings) that has shown to be a primary factor in the decay of this game, by virtue of holding it hostage during the times when the games own admins paid less attention than the harmful players did, using their importance to the game's survival as an excuse to treat each other like crap on a daily basis. That's a proven recipe for decline and it has shown in Utopia.

I'm going to go out on a limb and use a rather touchy comparison, apologies to any I might offend with this reference...

Take an abusive relationship. The abused person in this relationship often stays in it because they feel they cannot do any better. They endure the hardships because the alternative --- trying to start over after a long period of security --- is too overwhelming or daunting of a task. They have stability alongside the pain, their will is often too weak to take a chance on finding something better.

Utopia can do better than the negativity that permeates this community. It's been this way for well over a decade and a half, so risking a better life by trying to shed the harmful parts, it's not easy to imagine. But this community has countless GOOD human beings in it. Those who don't care about the past, don't care about the politics, don't care about the grudges or the slights or the bickering... they just want to play a good strategy game with other good people. Heck, they even outnumber the jerkfaces by a healthy margin, but the jerkfaces have the leverage because "you'd be nothing without me!"

Well Utopia has finally started to look like a game that CAN be something without them.

I would rather see the game shut down than have it turned into some childish cartoon version of its former self.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

I would rather see the game shut down than have it turned into some childish cartoon version of its former self.
    I think that is an extreme case that won't ever happen just because the direction is trying to be more positive xD

-DM <3

#MUTINY-FM

H.O.E

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies are people too View Post
    This is where the older, more experienced veteran players would and should step up and offer their insights and knowledge of the game to new players instead of debating silly things and arguing over events that happened a decade or so ago.

-DM <3
    They would have to be able to log in to be able to execute. Office, college, or welfare. Laborers need not apply (though I think it's silly they aren't allowed to sit on their phones all day given how much time office dwellers piss away on Amazon and Facebook)

With that said, I am hypocritically sitting in the ghetto teaching people this age. I believe you already messaged them to compliment their unusual strategy :D
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

I believe you already messaged them to compliment their unusual strategy :D
    I don't think so hun, unless you were our only war opponent. Beware the imposters! There's only one DM! xD

-DM <3

#MUTINY-FM

H.O.E

Needs to get out more
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagger View Post
    I didn't even know there was a general reddit IRC. I just meant www.reddit.com/r/utopiagame
    Ok, so I see an orange box and I waited a few seconds and I got kicked to my home page.

So I vote archaic.

Edit: ok, I'm caught up now reading the posts.

Nastalgia is a boon. I'm not saying not to change the game, but to keep the game centered on its origins. I've said this before, but we are repeating history, so I'll say it again. The game has to last long enough for the nostalgia to set in, and it will.

I'm not a hope freak, it's genuinely that people have memories here, just like people made memories on old guitars, just like I've got memories tied up in RPGs. The tools have to retain the same feel; the essense has to be there.

See, so many players want conveniences just like everyone wants the latest thing when they're finding their way. Eventually you remember that which was good and you come back to that qualitative zenith. The hard way is better because it draws more soul per square minute. Just ask a strat player.

I checked to see if the snail mail version of this game was still going on, and it is. Sometime in the 80s my group discovered the game Fuedal Lords. You filled out your orders on a sheet and sent them by envelop to the game HQ and they sent you back results the next week.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 26-11-2017 at 04:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Nobody cares about that. 3/4 of the server NEVER read these forums. Octo, Pills, Krop, Binar. You dont get it. This is NOT your game anymore.
    Its all our game. Relax a little. Tell the devs your ideas/concerns and just play man.
    I still do not see why Binar is SO upset when his KD is #1? Its clear he gets the so called "broken" code.

Stop acting like 2 yr olds, make your post w/o the hate/troll comments. A few insults should be allowed. I am thick skinned as anybody. I know the web brings out insults but it was getting over the top. Telling fellow Users they are too stupid to post is ignorant and mean regardless of what Palem said to me.

New Users must feel OK to post w/o OLD FARTS being too rude.

@ Zoombies I like the old vendettas post. Sometimes I cant tell if a post is complaining about current war or OLD stuff, but thats ok too.

Pills has given me solid advice when he is drunk and forgets to insult me. I was SunTower about 1 1/2 year ago. Pills, Krop, who knows the others maybe Octo... This KD had 99 invites, first day, LOL. The Prov Goldy told me he was rich and bought them. Who knows? They Kicked me out of their KD and I randomed into Dragonborn with StratCastor oil. Playing with Strat was most fun I had in last 3 years. He is a silly funny guy.
    Last edited by sl0hnd; 26-11-2017 at 05:06.
    if its in the game... I like Bishop. I don't care what my Mommy says about him.

Forum Addict
    I can't help but smirk at your use of the adjective "childish" when describing what you think Utopia is turning *into* .... I'd say that word fits more what a bunch of the Utopian community has *been* all these years ;)

The volatility in these forums over the last 2 years have been less about changes and more about social actors and the use/abuse of the social norms amongst player groups...so I am very skeptic to believe that changes to gains throttling and explorer pool are anything more than just attempts to encourage younger KDs to learn and grow acres individually.

Top KDs are usually groundbreakers of any new efficient strategies that can be successful in prov progression...so I don't see why they can no longer do that now.

Top KDs can no longer stay complacent and eat waves until they feel the other kd feels ready...war must come fast and in the long run...we cant always care about any given age especially if it has been almost the same ol' thing for the past 5 years.
    "Respect the one who defends his land with bravery;
    Honor the price he pays to fufill his duty."

-DonJuan, The Legendary KaMiKaZe King
    WhatsApp +16264286874 | SC2/D3 BattleNet: DonJuan5420 | PSN: DonJuan5420

Age 54: #1 Land KD (HaLL of Heroes)
    Age 54: #1 NW KD (HaLL of Heroes)

Age 81: #1 Honor KD (The Faery Circle)
    Age 81: #1 WW KD (The Faery Circle)
    The Tactical Technical Institute

Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    I can't help but smirk at your use of the adjective "childish" when describing what you think Utopia is turning *into* .... I'd say that word fits more what a bunch of the Utopian community has *been* all these years ;)
    The community has been extremely competitive all these years. That's what you're picking up on. I think if you guys made a fraction of the sacrifices others have in order to get and stay on top, you'd be pretty angry too. You get crutch after crutch handed to you and you still demand more and more to keep your ghettos afloat. I honestly feel bad for you. You'll never get to experience the depth and sheer beauty of truly competitive play. You'll never see TheScript in action, wiping out entire islands of provinces. Never get butterflies in your stomach when you finally score an interview with the kingdom you've admired for years. Never be the one selected among those in your kingdom to take on the responsibility of the coveted bank/cow role. I would venture to wager that none of you will really ever stand out at all. How could you though? Strategy has been reduced to the point that kingdom setups are almost completely homogeneous. The canvas is one dimensional now; I can't imagine how you would go about painting on it.

Don't think for a second that because we all talk **** about each other that there isn't a tremendous amount of respect behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by sl0hnd View Post
    Pills has given me solid advice when he is drunk and forgets to insult me. I was SunTower about 1 1/2 year ago. Pills, Krop, who knows the others maybe Octo... This KD had 99 invites, first day, LOL. The Prov Goldy told me he was rich and bought them. Who knows? They Kicked me out of their KD and I randomed into Dragonborn with StratCastor oil. Playing with Strat was most fun I had in last 3 years. He is a silly funny guy.
    Those would have to be Bishop's. He is immeasurably generous to newkids and was always willing to invite randoms. Also, I'm pretty sure he was getting them for free.

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    The volatility in these forums over the last 2 years have been less about changes and more about social actors and the use/abuse of the social norms amongst player groups...so I am very skeptic to believe that changes to gains throttling and explorer pool are anything more than just attempts to encourage younger KDs to learn and grow acres individually.

Top KDs are usually groundbreakers of any new efficient strategies that can be successful in prov progression...so I don't see why they can no longer do that now.

Top KDs can no longer stay complacent and eat waves until they feel the other kd feels ready...war must come fast and in the long run...we cant always care about any given age especially if it has been almost the same ol' thing for the past 5 years.
    Top kds are the complacent ones? They're the ones playing ages at a time while the rest of you break it down into easy-to-digest war sequences. You couldn't even manage a dice strat of old because half your kd would be lost to inactivity before the big conflicts finally came.

Last edited by octobrev; 26-11-2017 at 07:45. Reason: added image in case he's too young for words

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombies are people too View Post

-DM <3
    Sharing knowledge is what the strategy subforum is for. Utotalk is the utopian version of the bold and the beautiful where one comes for ones weekly dose of drama.
    -Nox-

Now playing a well prepared bacon rogue. Seasoned the little piggie with peper, thyme and rosemary. Put in the oven with potatoes under it so those get baked in the seasoned fat dripping down. Asparagus with cherrytomatoes, olives and basil on the side. Hmmmmmm.

546706 total books in Palem's superfun uhm hoi challenge.
    Made utopian faeries fly.
    Age 72 war win crown and honour crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Verminator View Post
    Why are they obligated to announce that they are expecting you to behave decently? The venom, the insults, the arguments, the epeen duels, the bitterness, the anti-establishment mentality overflowing... it's sad that the community has gotten so accustomed to this kind of behavior that it doesn't even feel like the generally crappy human behavior that it actually is. Why should the devs have to announce "behave like decent human beings" to you? That "going as they have previously" part has had it coming for a long time now.

Imagine a town full of murderers who were given free reign to kill as they please, taken over by a leader who suddenly starts punishing those murderers for their killing, then the murderers turn around and complain "Awww man you didn't even warn me that killing was a bad thing to do!"

This community is one of the biggest cesspools I've ever seen for a game community. It's not a secret either; many revel in the fact that this is an embarrassing community with reprehensible behavior and shameful treatment towards each other. They say "it will never change because the biggest jerks are the only reason this game is still alive" and that's been an unfortunate truth for a long time now. Except now it's no longer that simple, and the thing is, the writing was on the wall for this sort of behavioral crackdown for a while now; I'm just not sure why many folks didn't see it. (maybe didn't want to see it?)

For the first time in over a decade, the game has admins who have shown more interest in the future of the game than any of their predecessors. That alone should have been the first clue that change was coming. Previous admins tried and failed to reign in the community and eventually just gave up, mostly in part because, let's be honest, many of you are just despicable human beings with no filters and weak moral fiber. Call that an insult if you want, get indignant and hide behind it if you need to, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fact. While you might or might not know you're in this category, you're still prime contributors to the trash heap that this community has always been. .
    You dont see it wrong when something that was previously was allowed out of the blue is against the rules and dont see it as an issue? I guess you would gladly accept 1 year in prison if a police officer stops you while driving and says "New laws its 40 km/h here you were driving 50 km/h" Even though its always been 50 km/h. Right? Also could you explain whats so horrible with "clear fake war"?

If this is the biggest cesspool you seen you obviosuly havent been around i a lot of gaming communities. Not saying its not bad but you are blowing things out of proportions as you usally like to do. But yes, this horrible behaviour of writing "clear fake+ war " must be stopped I agree its a stain on the forum that would drive so many users crying and sleepless at night. (sarcasm)

You obviously werent around a decade again if you think this is the first "crackdown" I would call you more of a hypocrite than anything if so, you lash out as well. But here you are pretend you are gods little Angel and everyone else is the problem. Its not a fact either, you just make assumptions based on a little part of information you have. Isnt it also ironic while you bash the people you consider are the problem you do exactly like those you "hate" does? But I get it, you think its fine to behave like you cause you doing for a good cause!

Thread Information