Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Utopia

Enthusiast Zombies are people too's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Korp View Post
    You seem to lack the perspective of playing in a small ghetto. Besides, doesnt really matter how well you try to defend yourself cause it wont help.
    Au contraire mon amie, I spent my fair share of ages ghetto hopping until I found my most recent fit ;D I'm just trying to help, I find the best defense is a good offense, from the forest comes the handle for the axe and then some :D

-DM <3
    Co-host of the daily talk thread "Meme-Dumpster-Fire"
    The House of Eargasms has moved to Discord! Come Join the MUTINY!!!

#MUTINY-FM
    https://discord.gg/Y76paHZ

H.O.E
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...se-of-Eargasms

Eventually the other ghettos will grow out of range (except a few) and the randoms will slow down. Until then you could save yourselves a lot of grief shrinking down to 300- acres and focusing on sci/honor until the hits let up. You can max all categories in 15 - 21 days or reach prince in 18 - 28 days, either of which would be a lot more amusing.

<Edited - Reason: Please do not post encrypted messages on these boards>
    Last edited by Allanon; 07-12-2017 at 04:13.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombies are people too View Post
    Au contraire mon amie, I spent my fair share of ages ghetto hopping until I found my most recent fit ;D I'm just trying to help, I find the best defense is a good offense, from the forest comes the handle for the axe and then some :D

-DM <3
    Quite a few kd's believe they can get away with anything when dealing with kd's ranked below them. In my last age in a real ghetto, someone from a kd tagged up hostile plundered me and I retaliated that plunder. We got razed into our next war because of me retaliating that plunder into that kd's "hostile". Other kd's will just razekill people who have the audacity to retaliate hits when you play in a lower ranked kd. And that belief they can get away with stuff like that is based on something; one doesn't have the back up of one's (entire) kd when playing in the lower ranks. Sometimes hits stop when you retaliate them. Other times it escalates things into something a ghetto can't handle. I'll still retaliate hits on me, but that doesn't magically fix everything.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not just talking about topkd's vs ghetto's. Most top kd's are fairly reasonable after retaliating them. Kd's that take things that far are usually the higher ranked ghetto's.
    Last edited by Uhm hoi; 27-11-2017 at 18:30.
    -Nox-

Now playing a well prepared bacon rogue. Seasoned the little piggie with peper, thyme and rosemary. Put in the oven with potatoes under it so those get baked in the seasoned fat dripping down. Asparagus with cherrytomatoes, olives and basil on the side. Hmmmmmm.

546706 total books in Palem's superfun uhm hoi challenge.
    Made utopian faeries fly.
    Age 72 war win crown and honour crown.

Most of the kingdoms that we have had retal wars with feels like its only natural that they need to teach us a lesson and how dare we hit them. Several promised also that they could keep it up all age, none has so far!

Enthusiast Zombies are people too's Avatar
    I never understood the mentality of raze retal; it's one thing to garner a double abduct with a double abduct(the win goes to the highest Uni loadout!!!!), but to full out raze retal because of rando hits? its like "this is a pvp game" lol why are KDs "off limits" beyond the mechanics of nw/acre ranges?????? This "how dare they hit us" attitude is sooo passe xD

-DM <3
    Co-host of the daily talk thread "Meme-Dumpster-Fire"
    The House of Eargasms has moved to Discord! Come Join the MUTINY!!!

#MUTINY-FM
    https://discord.gg/Y76paHZ

H.O.E
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...se-of-Eargasms

So we retaliated a double abduct with a single abduct on a top 30 KD, we are 50-60 ranked kd so way out of war range...10 ticks after they put 99 pts on the meter with abducts...at the same time a similar sized kd put 20pts with anon TM...so 2 ticks we lost like 140 scientists, buttload of nw and who knows how much def/leets. Whether you are a new or old player that kind of **** without any incoming diplo occurring is depressing.

Post Fiend
    @Toolian,
    If people do not wish to communicate, or perhaps stick to their ingame chat then that's fine by me as monarch. I'm playing this game for fun, and I see no reason I should be razing out non-communicating people. Especially considering we're not actively looking to war. Pretty confident we have a few people who are experienced enough, but just dont want to communicate.

@Chris,
    We had diplo with a few KDs and they moved on. But then the list of KDs currently hostile to us came around. The moment we CF these, after bending over, other KDs will come.
    This game offers no way to protect yourself and makes spending time out of war very painful. This game forces you to be hyper-active to succeed, which is not something you should want if you're looking to expand your playerbase.

@DM,
    We're happy to explain questions, but we're not actively looking to guide people. As in, if people ask we will provide support but we wont constantly message them about things they should be doing. If people decide they know better themselves, then by all means, stay and enjoy the game. Rather than me razing you / forcing you out .. to the next KD that'll raze you/force you out. Also, you saw the numbers I ran when I left war, including 15% unis at high BE giving me around 35% protection to abducts combined with the 20% protection from sage. Six hits a day for 2/hit kinda makes me wonder why the hell I even bother with sage/sciences/unis. You cant protect yourself, no matter what you do, unless you run a proper warring KD.

@Coldhearted,
    we're not interested in doing army in/out during war, I cant imagine you wanting us ;-)

@Korp,
    That.

@Umajon,
    Be less active, and that 24hr barrier is nothing ;-)

--
    The point I was trying to make with this rant:
    1 - Those who are 'just' trying to enjoy the game & get good nights worth of sleep need protection.
    2 - New people to the game need protection.
    3 - The damage output out of war is far too high, especially when your 20 player KD gets hit 40 times/day.
    4 - New people need help and protection. This game is far too punishing. We apparently gave ops to one of the KDs waving us, and my Elf Mystic (out of war) is getting AW'ed into the ground. I have him being all upset about this now, understandably so.

Regular
    I don't think I've any new suggestions that you haven't already heard/discussed amongst yourself, but it's a shame that as a kingdom you're now taking it easy. You showed us the power of a proper NM wave and we want to thank for that by finally beating you in war!
    Oh well.

I understand why you'd be reluctant to get rid of the non-communicators, but such provinces are typically deadweight that make the entire kingdom a better target, and are much more likely to go off-message and cause a diplomatic/relations incident than those who regular chat/interact with the rest of the kingdom. Plus, cleaning house (even if there isn't a war-readiness or other type of goal in mind) is cathartic and makes room for others who may want to join a more laidback kingdom like yours.

It sounds as though what you're really looking for is a method of protection against bottomfeeding that involves the mechanics of the game. I don't know if that's a good or bad idea (I'm a fan of toprazing myself- That's true catharsis) but I can fully get behind the concept of protecting newer players from the carnage until they find their feet, and that's a ridiculous number of hits to suffer in such a short time.

I can't give you satisfying answers, but you have my empathy. Good luck to you and yours NighT.
    Ghetto Nightmare

Age 96 - Chaise Longue/Lighthouse Fire | Age 95 - Telephone The Real Ham Jackson | Age 94 - Final Girl | Age 93 - Superdrug | Age 92 - No Gods No Masters | Age 91 - Hunting The Wren | Age 90 - I Useta Lover | Age 89 - The Young People | Age 88 - Suspended in Gaffa | Age 87 - Aversadze | Age 85-86 - [Making A Baby] | Age 84 - Gay Girls | Age 83 - Avant Gardener | Age 82 - Girls Talk | Age 81 - Aversadze | Age 80 - Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking | Age 79 - Stella Was A Diver And She Was Always Down | Age 78 - The Lightning Strike | Age 77 - So Like A Rose | Age 76 - Aversadze/Kemosabe | Age 75 - Not Your Kind Of People/Good Shot, Good Soldier | Age 74 - Godspell | Age 73 - Time Will Destroy Everything/Versions of Hate | Age 72 - Another New World | Age 71 - Cold Old Fire | Age 70 - Battlestations | Age 69 - Tilted | Age 68 - Spite & Malice | Age 67 - I, The Hand Grenade | Age 66 - The Mother We Share | Age 65 - Pretty Keen On Centrefolds | Age 64 - Wangernumb | Age 63 - Aversadze | Age 62 - Aversadze | Age 60 - Lynx | Age 59 - Astral | Age 58 - That's How You Get Ants | Age 57 - Aversadze

..... so u r 1:14
    Last edited by sl0hnd; 12-12-2017 at 22:55.
    if its in the game... I like Bishop. I don't care what my Mommy says about him.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NighT View Post

@Chris,
    We had diplo with a few KDs and they moved on. But then the list of KDs currently hostile to us came around. The moment we CF these, after bending over, other KDs will come.
    This game offers no way to protect yourself and makes spending time out of war very painful. This game forces you to be hyper-active to succeed, which is not something you should want if you're looking to expand your playerbase.

--
    The point I was trying to make with this rant:
    1 - Those who are 'just' trying to enjoy the game & get good nights worth of sleep need protection.
    2 - New people to the game need protection.
    3 - The damage output out of war is far too high, especially when your 20 player KD gets hit 40 times/day.
    4 - New people need help and protection. This game is far too punishing. We apparently gave ops to one of the KDs waving us, and my Elf Mystic (out of war) is getting AW'ed into the ground. I have him being all upset about this now, understandably so.

I do have sympathy for the situation and I know you are a good player so I know I'm telling you things you probably know. But you can mostly protect yourself if you are able to respond to ensure that the KDs do not gain from hitting you, or at least do not gain as much as they would gain by hitting someone else, and by diplomacy. The difficulty is that presumably your KD (as a whole) can't do that effectively because you are low on numbers of experienced players. Whilst there will be other KDs that come later, there aren't that many KDs in the game so ultimately things will improve if someone takes the time for diplomacy.

I would agree that it's not ideal that people can burn your farms without relations and perhaps that could usefully change.

But beyond that, you don't need to be super active just to stop people hitting you. But you need provinces set up so they can retal if desirable and certainly retal with hostile ops/spells.

Giving away hostile ops wasn't the game's fault - the person who made the hit that gave out ops will hopefully now have learnt not to do it again now.

I know this might sound harsh so I want to emphasize again that I am sympathetic to the situation, but ultimately I see it as inevitable that people will try to take resources from a KD that can't defend itself. The game does make it poissible to defend, and we have another thread of top KDs saying that it is too hard for the aggressor KD because of gains throttling in range (I know it is not directly comparable to your situation as you have said they are not in range).

Right?!

Or that one time when my KD was declared on the same tick that we exited war?!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Squat View Post
    Right?!

Or that one time when my KD was declared on the same tick that we exited war?!
    That can only happen if you are playing in the bully kingdom and didn't close relations after waving a kingdom and then running off to war another. That's several bad leadership decisions piled on one another for that to happen. I hope your monarch learned something from it instead of blaming the other kingdom.
    -Nox-

Now playing a well prepared bacon rogue. Seasoned the little piggie with peper, thyme and rosemary. Put in the oven with potatoes under it so those get baked in the seasoned fat dripping down. Asparagus with cherrytomatoes, olives and basil on the side. Hmmmmmm.

546706 total books in Palem's superfun uhm hoi challenge.
    Made utopian faeries fly.
    Age 72 war win crown and honour crown.

Forum Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NighT View Post
    @Chrim,

The issue is not so much that my province gets destroyed. The issue is that this game is actively killing the fun for new people. When I have to explain to new people why they are starving, and what "xx troops were found dead" means out of war when he's just been hit half a dozen times by several guys, then that ... kinda kills the fun.

The mechanics are problematic, the atmosphere too.
    @Strato,
    I see where you're coming from. I lost about 6K elites and a couple dozen scientists so far.

.. And that's all the time I have before work. yay.
    Regards,
    NighT
    You are right. It is an issue in terms of expanding the userbase. Nubs land in a war kingdom that can't be bothered to teach or can't afford the dead weight for an age that teaching usually means, they get razed out. They land in a ghetto like yours they get pounded. We really do need some kind of solution so that nublets can get their feet wet without thinking 'screw this, I'm outta here' within a couple of days.
    I'm clear what the problem is, I'm not clear at all what a solution could look like. Have you got any suggestions?

One solution could be to have new players play on a learning server for 1 age minimum before they can transfer to the competitive server, as they did back a few years. This would also give the less competitive kds a place to play the game without having to deal with the more hardcore kingdoms.
    "The phrase... 'Who's your daddy?'... comes to mind"

Please make any complaints or requests regarding moderation to myself directly or a member of the Game Administration staff. Complaints in threads will be purged as per forum policy

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
    One solution could be to have new players play on a learning server for 1 age minimum before they can transfer to the competitive server, as they did back a few years. This would also give the less competitive kds a place to play the game without having to deal with the more hardcore kingdoms.
    Legitimately curious why you even bother posting such asinine ideas.

WoL and BF were merged because at ~20k players there weren't enough to have two healthy servers. The games got less than 3.3k accounts left, let alone players. The crux of all problems is the abysmally small player base.

What new players are going to get stuck on the ghost server anyways? There are none. These 'newbies' are old players returning.

Ideally, there'd be training kingdoms for new players to opt into, but I don't know of any qualified leaders willing to subject themselves to that kind of miserable experience. And the ones who will volunteer are almost all supremely unqualified.

<Edited - Reason: Please refrain from insulting players>
    Last edited by Allanon; 07-12-2017 at 03:13.

Thread Information