Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utopia

Post Fiend

Utopia

Hey all,

Here's a bit of a rant from the ghetto. I've played in some kingdoms up top, and last age decided with my friends that we were done setting alarms and micromanaging every single detail. So we decided to create a ghetto, 10 provinces to just have fun. We tagged up "The Retirement Home", if that gives you any sort of indication as to our plans.
    This age we were lucky? enough to get a few random provinces (mostly inactive), keeping up that wall (+20% wages) is just too expensive. Anyway, currently the kingdom comprises of about 12 actives (or at least, somewhat actives from the old core + 2 talking randoms). We have another 5 provinces who didnt pass 50K NW and another 5 provinces who (I think) login once every few days. Enough to avoid the +sign anyway.
    You know, as we're just playing this game for fun, we really didnt feel like razing out those non-talking provinces. We havent really been bothered razing the inactives as there really wasnt a reason for us to burn resources on them. Heck not like we even could spare the resources.

When I was playing in a better kingdom last few ages, we'd occasionally get a random hit every 1-2 days. There'd be someone who hits us, a trad or abduct, usually on one of our TMs. Thinking it was a safe hit. Most of the time they'd get a retal, probably our/my reputation helped a bit too, considering we would defend our guys even if the other KD was bigger.

Anyway, back to the ghetto, which is why I'm posting this rant. As of right now, we're hostile with four kingdoms (4:20 - 2:8 - 2:13 - 5:5). I should say, we've been hit 45 times today, 20 times yesterday and 40 times the day before.
    I've had pretty decent riot coverage the last few days (RL-days), pretty constant gluttony and greed too. Fortunately not droughts, but that might just be the NB they cant MV without relations. It's currently the 5th of utopia, we've been hit 19 times so far today.

The reason I'm writing this post is not so much because I'm annoyed by the constant bottomfeeding on my own prov. I'll bounce back. I'm annoyed by the fact that this game is actively killing the fun for anyone new. I've got a new guy in the kingdom whos actually communicating. He's been hit a lot lately. Those kingdoms thinking we'd like to war them have been keeping up spells on him too, even stealing his freaking food, making him starve. Throw in NS and the new guy is about to quit .. and can you really blame him?
    -- For my own province, I'm down to 7.5 epa and 4.5 dspa currently. I had 12 epa and 6 dspa coming out of war cf. Dwarf / Sage.

New people are going to play any combination that is less than perfect. That's the thing with new people. So dont come here saying he should have picked a better combination. If you want this game to have any chance at surviving, this game needs a serious overhaul when it comes to out of war damage.

@the so called "top", unless you have ghetto experience (and I'm talking bottom-100 kds) in the past few ages, dont come here saying "it's not that bad" or "just diplo".

Regards,

NighT

Regular
    If you guys are in chill mode, you should pass any active eager new players like that onto more competitive kingdoms. Y'all could help out the game a lot by being a gateway ghetto for promising noobs.

Veteran
    Have you messaged them? What did they say?

Are you retalling with hostile ops?

What attacks are they hitting you with? T/ms? abducts? Isnt Gbp kicking in? Are any of them within warring range? Is there anyone else around you in war range that you could war instead?
    Game not really made for 15 prov kd's, and if "do diplo" is out of the question then finding yourself a war is the only way to be safe from random waves.
    That or packing some good off and/or def/tpa/wpa and FSU back the best you can?
    Or dump pool and outgrow them in your next EoWCF?

iam unsure what your main issue is though. Is it a mechanic problem (to little GBP, to high gains etc etc) or is it a utopia community problem? (quadhostiling/non diploing ghettoes))?
    Last edited by Binar; 26-11-2017 at 23:49.
    Snakes
    PewPEW
    Divinity
    Emeriti

Non of my nubs speak for my KD

Needs to get out more
    I sympathize with you in this regard.

Sometimes I'll see who my kingdoms hits and it breaks my heart seeing 15 province heritage kingdoms. I know they're eating twice the hits we're absorbing. Even we are getting dog piled as we go along.

Much of the problem is cultural etiquette. When a big kingdom hits a medium kingdom the prevailing logic is for the medium kingdom to hit the small. My journey has always been about reversing the food chain. Very soon after becoming competent at safe land/resource acquisition I realized it wasn't how I wanted to play.

My journey is pretty much alone. There aren't many players out there who want to face those challenges. This is not a bad thing. My approach to the food chain is ineffectual on the Utopian ecosystem. I want whoring kingdoms to whore, warring kingdoms to war and casual kingdoms to enjoy the game in fluid ambiance. Oh and honor kingdoms to screw me over, lol.

The reason life in micro-kingdoms tends to be better is because we all understand we must retaliate. Provided all players are experienced and dedicated to resolve it's reasonably satisfying. New players see all the flack coming in and it's disconcerting. There's the immediate feeling you're losing in the short run. There is a point where you get into it and there's only the price the bad guys have to pay. It's a relaxing rhythm but it takes patience even for a veteran.

I'm not sure I could help, but I can't understate that if you the reader is feeling naive then build a top feeder. You're going to get pounded so if you suddenly feel like not taking it you can do something about it. I lost about 2mil gold today, lost 6 scientist, maybe 2000 elites and who knows how many specs and thieves. I'm lining up the retal. You know what I mean?
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 26-11-2017 at 23:56.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

I have played from the bottom for a few ages, went to a top 10 for a few ages, went back to the bottom for an age. Started new kingdom this age, made it to top 10 for a bit, before being waved by number 6 for 60 points followed by number 7 for 68 points the following tick. Then number 11 a few hours later, the top isn't much better when it comes to having a 1 million NW difference on someone or waving a kingdom with 23 prov v 25 prov. Typically they will accept cf in about 8 to 12 hours, after a wave or two and after they have abducted 3 weeks worth of Nerds and you are back to start of the age science. Doesn't really give you an option for war either, when being waved by 3 kingdoms at once. You will be at a disadvantage either way, but its just how the game has become. It then becomes a trickle effect, so we get knocked down into the 20s and waving smaller to try and get some science back. Its a fierce cycle but everyone has their turn. Not sure if that really helps, but I am trying to look at it half full. GBP is still broken, especially when it comes to science. I had about 60 scientist and losing 4 each hit, lost 12 in 2 hours. Then 4 more a few hours later, it says i am heavily hit but still losing 2 professors each time. They can have double what I got, but I will only get 2. However, I can hit a province heavily hit, showing I would gain 100 and only get 20. If extreme, its like 6 acres and like 20 hour attack times. That seems a bit more like how science should be ran as well. Just my thoughts.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -George S. Patton

Enthusiast
    it's ruff out there in some ghettos. dwarf is solid choice but you would have to out grow. with 15 you would probably have more fun just FSU all age. not that there is a better race but dryad or orc build crazy offence and top feed into bigger kds find the fatties hit them no matter where they may be if your guys need help finding them http://umunk.net/tf/

Also, it might be better to bring back books. This way its easier to tone down the gains into a heavily hit province. Because having whole numbers for science like 60 whole scientist and getting hit for 2% or whatever the math is a lot. But if people are typically getting 1 professor a hit, that is like over 1 week of work for a quick attack. Now if they were getting like 250 books, it wouldn't be as rewarding and wouldn't be so widely abused. Just my thoughts, but good job on at least reducing the armies lost to it, too bad most kingdoms hit you 4 times each and any given day you can be hit 12 times for nerds. I am also a TM, we typically get hit just because of REV alone.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity. -George S. Patton

Post Demon
    I've had more the problem of single provinces who keept hitting me or my kingdom, near 100% retal rate on those and near 100% smited, I even ambushed many of those hits and did bg a few times. Never once did I hit first or give more meter points than they did I simply followed up on their hits, but I did made a point out of retaliating returning hitters, even when I was randommed 3x for every retal I could make which has bogged me down for quite some time.

I tried to message one guys monach that just ignored me after that one player had been in our news near daily for the first week or so, one other was monach of a scrub kingdom, the last one did hits for atleast 3 days I think. I'm puzzeled why some players would make the choice to hit the same kingdom over and over again, obliously no one would find this acceptable to be pestered for days, and hitting through smite and 20% gs seems like a bad call even once, repetedly that is just wasting resurces.

I have also noticed if one guy make a random abduct usually you can get randoms from a few other people as well who also happens to abduct your province it always seems to come in patterns like 2-3 abducts one day and then nothing for a few days then 2-3 abducts again. I had to go def over off, and it finally seems I've been able to grow a bit after two weeks on 800-1k acres due to getting randommed a lot, I'm of course exploring since having army out is another situation that will get you hit even more.

Needs to get out more
    Have you tried diplo with 50 kingdoms while you're ranked 75th? I have 3 heads.

Edit: ditto Madchess. Keeping the faith.

Edit 2: almost forgot; with good comes bad
    ~ Hallmark Identical Twin Movie ~
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 27-11-2017 at 01:11.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

Enthusiast Zombies are people too's Avatar
    From the other end of the perspective, it's good practice for newer players to be put through the gauntlet and learn about their combo's weaknesses, maintaining armies in/out, and managing BE. Have you tried helping them with their building mods?
    Maybe a higher concentration of GS, Unis and Hospitals and making sure theyre always army in/out. If theyre netting 3-6 sci each unique and only losing 1, the +/- is in their favour. Keep abducting till their BE drops below 80%, swap the science to tools and build some homes, raise BE, draft, back to miltary/alchemy, abduct/plunder repeat.

-DM <3
    Co-host of the daily talk thread "Meme-Dumpster-Fire"
    The House of Eargasms has moved to Discord! Come Join the MUTINY!!!

#MUTINY-FM
    https://discord.gg/Y76paHZ

H.O.E
    http://forums.utopia-game.com/showth...se-of-Eargasms

Enthusiast
    But in all seriousness the game could turn into a war only game. Take away the explore pool, no interaction outside of war between any kingdom, you put your name into a system that says ready for war. It matches you up to a opponent and you war. Imagine no more db, fake wars or diplo. The dream could be real. ;)

Why stop there? We could get rid of wars, military, buildings and science in exchange for a button everyone has to log in to press for their daily allotment of land and networth.
    theHERETICS - Brute Force - Sonata - Dreams - The Pulsing Trollfags - The Expendables
    Visit my home for banned, neglected, and otherwise disenfranchised players on Discord!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearted View Post
    But in all seriousness the game could turn into a war only game. Take away the explore pool, no interaction outside of war between any kingdom, you put your name into a system that says ready for war. It matches you up to a opponent and you war. Imagine no more db, fake wars or diplo. The dream could be real. ;)
    On multiple occasions, people have made the argument to get a second server where new players could learn and where more casual players will feel more at home. Coldhearted's suggestion would be a pretty good situation to start with. Most wars nowadays come from diplo anyway, not waving. There needs to be a little bit more thought about what size provinces need to be to get wars going, but other than that, it'd be a light or softcore version of the utopia we have now.

Edit: or the war server where one can obtain the warcrown and a hardcore server where one can win land/nw/honour crowns.
    Last edited by Uhm hoi; 27-11-2017 at 01:51.
    -Nox-

Now playing a well prepared bacon rogue. Seasoned the little piggie with peper, thyme and rosemary. Put in the oven with potatoes under it so those get baked in the seasoned fat dripping down. Asparagus with cherrytomatoes, olives and basil on the side. Hmmmmmm.

546706 total books in Palem's superfun uhm hoi challenge.
    Made utopian faeries fly.
    Age 72 war win crown and honour crown.

Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Please get on topic

Thread Information