Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 67

Thread: Utopia

  1. #46
    Needs to get out more
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Oh
    Posts
    8,228
    There's a lack of stewardship due to too many nearsighted bullies and the inability of multitudes to render decisions based in their humanity.

    What?

    Humanity didn't survive because we think like dogs. Culture didn't thrive because we just bought in that lions were the top of the food chain. No. It was never perfect, but as intelligent beings we devised ways of living together, and conquer the wild.

    The answer isn't for every kingdom to hit up, but we need a decent number to do so. Why? Because the stop gap is about competence and willingness to enjoy the game while protecting the base.

    Let me say that this bullying has spread even to the old kingdoms essentially because nobody sees the forest for the trees. Those of us who've done the top kingdom tango need to grow up and play gently. I don't often say I don't care about something, but I don't care about badass attitudes and this being a tough game. Of course it can be, but I never had to raze anyone. How weak is the ego that loves to prove something every time a less enlightened player/kingdom overextends themselves? It's pathetic.

    We shouldn't need two servers. Those of us who know what adult swim is don't go in the kiddy pool. You let them come to you, and show them patiently the difference. Countering saddism with greater saddism is game killing. Look; everybody hates the day they find out their dog can't fight. Anger and frustration naturally accommodate the learning curve.

    When I read about some big kingdom poking fun at a smaller one that can't diplo, you make me want to skip diplo with you. I don't think about the little guys. I'm not worried about their missteps. Sure, there's a time to go full republican but we should really be more refined in our response and game conduct with obvious casuals.

    There's room for all of us. The reason I love micro-kingdoms is because now we're doing it without any innocent collateral victims. Somebody comes screwing around we just go no matter who it is. Think about that.

    @ steel. Yeah ok. Guy tries to help and you go rude. Stop trying to hurt feelings. I know you won't hold your breath, but you know I'm immune.
    Last edited by StratOcastle; 07-12-2017 at 02:24.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

  2. #47
    Forum Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinners NA
    Posts
    2,714
    Quote Originally Posted by StratOcastle View Post
    There's a lack of stewardship due to too many nearsighted bullies and the inability of multitudes to render decisions based in their humanity.

    What?

    Humanity didn't survive because we think like dogs. Culture didn't thrive because we just bought in that lions were the top of the food chain. No. It was never perfect, but as intelligent beings we devised ways of living together, and conquer the wild.

    The answer isn't for every kingdom to hit up, but we need a decent number to do so. Why? Because the stop gap is about competence and willingness to enjoy the game while protecting the base.

    Let me say that this bullying has spread even to the old kingdoms essentially because nobody sees the forest for the trees. Those of us who've done the top kingdom tango need to grow up and play gently. I don't often say I don't care about something, but I don't care about badass attitudes and this being a tough game. Of course it can be, but I never had to raze anyone. How weak is the ego that loves to prove something every time a less enlightened player/kingdom overextends themselves? It's pathetic.

    We shouldn't need two servers. Those of us who know what adult swim is don't go in the kiddy pool. You let them come to you, and show them patiently the difference. Countering saddism with greater saddism is game killing. Look; everybody hates the day they find out their dog can't fight. Anger and frustration naturally accommodate the learning curve.

    When I read about some big kingdom poking fun at a smaller one that can't diplo, you make me want to skip diplo with you. I don't think about the little guys. I'm not worried about their missteps. Sure, there's a time to go full republican but we should really be more refined in our response and game conduct with obvious casuals.

    There's room for all of us. The reason I love micro-kingdoms is because now we're doing it without any innocent collateral victims. Somebody comes screwing around we just go no matter who it is. Think about that.

    @ steel. Yeah ok. Guy tries to help and you go rude. Stop trying to hurt feelings. I know you won't hold your breath, but you know I'm immune.
    You need to get off the acid.

  3. #48
    Moderator for:
    Utopia Forums
    Palem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,830
    Please do not insult users

  4. #49
    Forum Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinners NA
    Posts
    2,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Palem View Post
    Please do not insult users
    What is the insult?
    I ascribed his out-of-touch-with-anything posting behavior with drugs, rather than an innate flaw in his mental health or personality.

    I'm not sure how users drug habits can be used as insults anyways.

    <Edited - Reason: Please refrain from commenting about other players sexuality>
    Last edited by Allanon; 07-12-2017 at 03:16.

  5. #50
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    450
    Contribute to the thread, or criticize the post content to create further discussion of the topic. Your statement did neither.
    Please e-mail Utopia Support for any in-game related issues at UtopiaSupport@utopia-game.com

    Account Deleted or Inactive? Click here!

    Utopia Facebook Page <== Like us on Facebook and join the conversation!
    Follow us on Twitter @UtopiaClassic

    Help us create a new Utopia Guide! Contributors will be forever etched in the history of Utopia! Click here for more info!

  6. #51
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    329
    I don't think we (the users) have the stats to know how to address the new player issue optimally. Maybe the devs can get stats on how many new people (not returning players) are creating accounts, and then what happens to those accounts (how long are they active, do they churn through many kds etc).

    If there is demand for it, there are ways to get new players into kds who will take the time to teach them.

    eg add a box on the sign up form asking if the person has payed utopia before, then:

    -add a box on the sign up form asking if the person has payed utopia before, then KDs can self nominate (a tick box) to say they are willing to accept/teach new players. Presumably there needs to be some kind of incentive for that, otherwise given a choice I would bet the majority of KDs would choose experienced players over new ones. It could be an in-game "reward", or potentially just more new provinces so building a full size KD becomes quicker if you agree to take new players.

    - mentors has been mentioned. not sure what is happened with this idea.

    - in-game instruction has been mentioned but again not sure if it is being taken forward.
    -

  7. #52
    Forum Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinners NA
    Posts
    2,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    I don't think we (the users) have the stats to know how to address the new player issue optimally. Maybe the devs can get stats on how many new people (not returning players) are creating accounts, and then what happens to those accounts (how long are they active, do they churn through many kds etc).

    If there is demand for it, there are ways to get new players into kds who will take the time to teach them.

    eg add a box on the sign up form asking if the person has payed utopia before, then:

    -add a box on the sign up form asking if the person has payed utopia before, then KDs can self nominate (a tick box) to say they are willing to accept/teach new players. Presumably there needs to be some kind of incentive for that, otherwise given a choice I would bet the majority of KDs would choose experienced players over new ones. It could be an in-game "reward", or potentially just more new provinces so building a full size KD becomes quicker if you agree to take new players.

    - mentors has been mentioned. not sure what is happened with this idea.

    - in-game instruction has been mentioned but again not sure if it is being taken forward.
    -
    Obviously abusable in if you offer an incentive, and 'self nomination' is most likely going to be counter productive.

    KD should be able to self nominate, but then be selected for inclusion by the devs personally.
    There should be no incentive.

  8. #53
    Needs to get out more
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Oh
    Posts
    8,228
    All you should do as a pro is be nice when interacting in game with those who are struggling. You can offer to show them your true might if they doubt.

    I'm pretty sure we have players with a moral compass on all levels, we just want the numbers to grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Correct me then, instead of being a dick about it.
    love that thick mahogany back with no belly carve or anything...pure thick wood ! The thing ROCK is made of !
    ________
    Weed bowls

    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...+say&FORM=VDRE

  9. #54
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3
    Playing in 10 province kingdom with handful of attackers, we get hit maybe once or twice a day if so, everything is fine except two things, we donīt get random provinces spawning and the gains the top 10 kd gets from us are absolutely absurd!

    Like a province from 5th nw-ranked (at that time) kd hit our top faery and took 20% of his acres, like what the duck is this, we are ranked 140-160 and the hitter was oor from its target too! Please just fix it.

  10. #55
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    Obviously abusable in if you offer an incentive.
    Is that necessarily the case? Clearly it's possible, depending what the incentive actually is. But I think there is probably scope for an incentive that isn't worth abusing (although admittedly it might not then provide much incentive). Abusing it would be a breach of the rules anyway and could get the KD actioned.

    Having the devs approve the KDs is a good idea if the devs have time to monitor. If you do include this, then the incentive would be fine as the devs are already monitoring and would easily see if it is being abused.

    If there is no incentive then being honest, why would a KD choose to have new players rather than returning players joining?

  11. #56
    Forum Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sinners NA
    Posts
    2,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris121 View Post
    Is that necessarily the case? Clearly it's possible, depending what the incentive actually is. But I think there is probably scope for an incentive that isn't worth abusing (although admittedly it might not then provide much incentive). Abusing it would be a breach of the rules anyway and could get the KD actioned.

    Having the devs approve the KDs is a good idea if the devs have time to monitor. If you do include this, then the incentive would be fine as the devs are already monitoring and would easily see if it is being abused.

    If there is no incentive then being honest, why would a KD choose to have new players rather than returning players joining?
    How do you ensure a player is new? People can just create new master accounts and lie.

    Playing in 10 province kingdom with handful of attackers, we get hit maybe once or twice a day if so, everything is fine except two things, we donīt get random provinces spawning and the gains the top 10 kd gets from us are absolutely absurd!

    Like a province from 5th nw-ranked (at that time) kd hit our top faery and took 20% of his acres, like what the duck is this, we are ranked 140-160 and the hitter was oor from its target too! Please just fix it.
    Obviously a PvP game is not your speed.

    All you should do as a pro is be nice when interacting in game with those who are struggling. You can offer to show them your true might if they doubt.
    <Post edited - Reason: inappropriate language>
    Last edited by Allanon; 08-12-2017 at 01:43.

  12. #57
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    How do you ensure a player is new? People can just create new master accounts and lie.
    They could. Sorry if I am missing your point, but I'm not sure why anyone would in this situation? The incentive wouldn't be to the "new" player individually, it would be to the KD that agrees to take them. So if a player wants to try to gain the incentive by pretending to be new, they would have to make a new account, lie about being new (probably mask IP to avoid the game knowing they are not new), then land in one of several random KDs who are taking new players, and then continue to play there to benefit from the incentive that that KD has (probably pretending to be new still so that the KD doesn't see that they lied). So it would only be abusable in this way by existing players who don't mind what KD they play in. An existing player could just go to the recruitment board and choose a KD to suit them. I imagine that would serve them better than having the incentive but being in a KD that has chosen to receive multiple new provs.

  13. #58
    Post Fiend newatthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    253
    To survive in ghetto, you need a skill to find wars as much as possible. Don't need much diplomacy in it. Just find another ghetto closer to your size with same amount of inactive provinces in your kd. Write them a PM n say "hey we HV in actives here and I can see you have the same problem. Instead of fighting the whole server, why don't we war each other. Getting hit from each other is a lot less annoying than getting hits by every kingdoms in utopia right?". WD if you think you are losing but fight hard if they refuse to WD and you are winning. Don't take the war wins or war losts too seriously in ghetto. You must take the war as a way to get hit less than usual, is all. Beside wars may stimulate other lazy players to log in more often.
    Last edited by newatthis; 08-12-2017 at 18:58.

  14. #59
    Post Fiend newatthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    253
    Heck, I remember posting in this forum asking if someone at my range is willing to war me when I ran a ghetto. Just do what you must do to get a war. It's the only way to HV fun in ghettoing.

  15. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    25
    i really hope the developers/owners can drop the KD size from 25 to 20.
    there are a lot of good KDs and players in the game where their KD consists of maybe 15 core players only. but this isnt enough because unless you have 23 good players in a KD.. you will have a super hard time (not impossible but damn close) to compete with the top.

    Dropping the limit to 20. not only increases the number of KDs in the game.. it also increases the number of competitive KDs in the game. Now KD with 18 active players have a legitimate chance of competing. There are more KDs to war with etc. KDs with less cores will have less new players join and thus have more time to teach and educate them. Its frustrating to be in a ghetto and u get 10 new guys.. where 5 are inactive. the other 5 might just restart or quit because they see no point to continue with all the bottom feeding / inactive around

    Yes those 25prov KDs will most likely be complaining how they have to downsize and have some friends leave the KD.. but lets not kid ourselves... there are many sister KDs to the top. So really its not a big impact.


    I know this is a bit off topic.. but then in the OP's case.. he's a KD of 18 players who in my described format will be doing well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •