Thread: Display "terminal" BE on Building Adviser page

Veteran

Display "terminal" BE on Building Adviser page

It sure would be handy to be able to see what your BE will bottom out/raise up to from the number of workers you currently have. I know this can be calced manually, but is there an argument for not displaying it on the adviser?

Post Fiend
    I would go a step further and do what ****** does. Even tell you how much it's going to go up or down.

edit: lol, masking your competition does not make them go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Andurilas View Post
    It sure would be handy to be able to see what your BE will bottom out/raise up to from the number of workers you currently have. I know this can be calced manually, but is there an argument for not displaying it on the adviser?
    This is a bad suggestion.
    The game masks things like BE changes, gains for attacks/ops, losses, for a reason. If you go this route, where does it end? The game would cease to exist as we've known it. People are supposed to put in the work to understand these things, or play them by feel if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilmington View Post
    I would go a step further and do what ****** does. Even tell you how much it's going to go up or down.

edit: lol, masking your competition does not make them go away.
    Why would we want Utopia to emulate ****?

Post Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post

Why would we want Utopia to emulate ****?
    I don't. They do, however, have a better throne page with better info

I don't. They do, however, have a better throne page with better info
    Different game with different implementations of similar mechanics.

Post Fiend
    Right. This isn't about the game or the mechanics. It's about the info that is presented. I've been doing these calculations by hand for years so it's no big deal to me. They at least give the min workers needed now, so it's easy to do...unless you are on your phone somewhere.

Right. This isn't about the game or the mechanics. It's about the info that is presented. I've been doing these calculations by hand for years so it's no big deal to me. They at least give the min workers needed now, so it's easy to do...unless you are on your phone somewhere.
    The whole point is to do it by hand. You're asking for a feature that is in direct contradiction to the game's design.

Post Fiend
    Doing things by hand in Utopia is fading. Now, you know exactly what their defense is and exactly what offense you are sending. To do it by hand you need to figure out what their defense is with forts and spells and such. You also had to do the same for your offense. The game was not designed to make yo do everything by hand. It just worked out that way for a while until they changed it.

edit. BTW, I'm not the one asking for the change, but if you are going to make a change, go all the way.

Post Fiend
    You even had to get 2 Soms and use an algorithm to get the actual defense. Now THAT is doing it by hand. This is child's play the way it is now. Making things easier like that lets you focus on tactics rather than if the hit is going to succeed.

Post Fiend
    Here's the overall problem. In order to do well, you need a third party app...period. Since technically, you can't force someone to use a third party app, Utopia needs to provide enough info to operate without using a third party app. They even added a chat window, and an espionage page. A grunt doesn't really have to use a 3rd party app as it is now.

Here's the overall problem. In order to do well, you need a third party app...period. Since technically, you can't force someone to use a third party app, Utopia needs to provide enough info to operate without using a third party app. They even added a chat window, and an espionage page. A grunt doesn't really have to use a 3rd party app as it is now.
    No, you don't need a 3rd party app, although it greatly helps.
    If people are unwilling to use those apps, thats on them.
    Part of Utopia's draw is, IMO, that we've always relied on 3rd parties to make the tools and find the formulas and things.

You're suggesting fundamental changes to the games intended design to make it easier for people who are too stupid or too lazy to play.

Post Fiend
    They have already made several changes along those lines. The biggest being the accuracy of SoMs and telling you exactly how much offense you are sending. Those changes affect the game waaaaaaaay more than simply showing what your optimum BE is.

My point is you used to have to have a third party app. You couldn't even get accurate defense without a third party app unless you happen to have that algorithm in your head. I doubt the game would even exist today if it wasn't for Angel (r.i.p.). Every informational change they've done like the chat window and espionage page are bigger than BE, but somehow showing the optimum BE is going to tip the scale with all the changes they have made already?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillz View Post
    The whole point is to do it by hand. You're asking for a feature that is in direct contradiction to the game's design.
    I don't think the game's design is "do all calculations by hand." One *element* of the game is knowing how the data fits together and using it effectively, but that just opens the discussion as to what should be displayed and what shouldn't.

Thread Information